Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Allergic to Ibuprofin

Posted by Lori on 7/12/03 at 14:02 (124227)

I was diagnosed with PF 2 years ago, although I think I've had it off and on for 7 or 8 years. I am a first grade teacher and on my feet all day. I have orthotics, but it is not enough. I can't take ibuprofin (developed the allergy after my second child was born when I developed asthma-asthma's gone, but the reaction was so severe, I've not been willing to try ibuprofin or aspirin again). I'm wondering if I might be able to use ibuprofin gel directly on the feet. My reaction (and I have not taken it for 7 or 8 years-about the time I first got PF) was a totally stuffed up head, watery, itchy eyes, and wheezing for several hours. Presently, I take an herbal anti-inflammatory called Zyflamend and I just started taking Bromelaid (something like that).

Re: Allergic to Ibuprofin

Dr. Z on 7/12/03 at 14:30 (124232)

May want to try a local steriod injection or an oral medrol dose packet.
How much pain are you in?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/03 at 14:55 (124242)

Lori:

I am familiar with Zyflamend. Can you tell if it has a postive effect?

Orthotics are one part of treatment for PF. Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book to make sure you are getting all of the necessary treatment.
Ed

Suzanne D on 7/12/03 at 20:50 (124279)

Hi, Lori! I'm not a dr. but another first grade teacher who was also diagnosed with PF two years ago. I understand!

My podiatrist prescribed Naproxin after taking a steroid pack for one week. Aleve is Naproxin, just not as strong as my prescription. Can you take that?

What shoes do you wear? I wear either SAS shoes with a Superfeet orthotic or Birkenstock shoes (Arizonas or Anapolis). I am much improved, although I still have bad days. It seems about the time I think I am really on the mend, I start having more pain again. Now it is not so much pain in the arch or heel but an over-all aching and stiffness. I use my stool whenever possible, but as you know, it is almost imperative that we be moving around most of the time. I have taught for 25 years and am not ready to leave the classroom (all of me except for my feet, that is!).

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :)

Lori W. on 7/13/03 at 00:11 (124285)

I have had 3 cortizone shots in the last 2 years. The first one helped tremendously and my feet felt great for 7 or 8 months (no orthotics at that time, I used birk arch supports and a shoe calloed Noat). The next one hurt really bad for 3 days and lasted a few months. Same with the third. I don't know what oral medrose is. I have been trying to rest my feet since it is summer vacation. So I seem to be doing somewhat better. However, I just finished playing miniature golf with my kids and about the 10th hole, I was ready to stop. The pain was very uncomfortable but not unbearable.

Lori W. on 7/13/03 at 00:14 (124286)

The zyflamend doesn't take away the pain, but it seems to help take the edge off. There would be times when I wouldn't be taking it for a couple of months and then the pain would really bother me, so I would start it up again and it really seemed to make a big difference. Now I take it all the time.

Lori W. on 7/13/03 at 00:19 (124287)

Another teacher with PF. What a surprise! I never thought pain would be one of the benefits of my job. I wear whatever shoes will fit my orthotics. Usually athletic shoes, sometimes other loafer type shoes that will lace up. I can't wear Birks. I have really tried. But they hurt after 20 minutes. What is a superfeet orthotic? I have tried on SAS but didn't get them because I didn't know if it would be worth it just to stick my custom orthotics in. I would love to stay in the classroom, but not if it is going to ruin my feet. I love to teach! This makes me sad.

Suzanne D on 7/13/03 at 21:43 (124345)

Lori, go to http://www.superfeet.com , and you can see a picture and description of these non-prescription orthotics. You can also find a store locater on the site to find the nearest store near you which sells them. I read about them on the message boards here and then located a store near me.

I understand! I love to teach, too. I DO hope you are able to keep teaching.

SAS shoes have been effective for several of us who post here. Maybe you might give them a try and see if they help you.

Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 7/13/03 at 23:49 (124354)

Dorothy answering same question posed to Lori: I also use Zyflamend and THINK it helps. I don't take it routinely but only start it again when pain seems to increase. I have been considering whether I should take it routinely, rather than in this intermittent fashion.