Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOT DISCOMFORT

Posted by JOHN P on 7/13/03 at 06:41 (124295)

I AM A 33 YR OLD LETTER CARRIER, SO I RELY ON MY FEET DAILY. I HAVE CUSTOM MADE ORTHOTICS FROM A PODIATRIST, WHICH ARE 2 YEARS OLD. I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOOT PAIN ONT HE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT, BUT CAN'T PINPOINT THE CERTAIN AREA, IT KIND OF CIRCLES AROUND THE MIDFOOT AREA. I DO NOT HAVE ANY HEEL PAIN. COULD THIS STILL BE PLANTAR FACIATIS, AND DO I NEED NEW ORTHOTICS? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ADVICE.

JOHN P USPS

Re: FOOT DISCOMFORT

BGCPed on 7/13/03 at 11:34 (124310)

Go to a goodPedorthic facility or good RedWing shop. It may just be your shoes. I am sorry to say but the usps approved footwear is not that great. The NewBalance approved shoe is terrible,prob the worst shoe they have made. If your Pmaster is a nice one and lets you wear whatever you want or is hardcore and only allows your app shoes let me know.

Lastly spend your uniform allowance on the clothes but dip into your own pocket for the footwear,its worth it

john K on 7/13/03 at 19:08 (124336)

I was a postal worker for 17 years and I had severe foot pain in my arches the who time. I got some relief from Rockports. Is the consensus that Redwings are better? I have custom orthotics now. Does anyone know if the Veterans Administration podiatrists are any good I have an appointment in a week. One of the reasons I retired from USPS on disability was my foot pain. I have a collection of shoes including the expensive German ones which did nothing for my pain. I see a wheelchair in the future if this gets worse.

BGCPed on 7/13/03 at 22:55 (124350)

I cant say for sure but in general terms the VA is not the cream of the crop. I makes me sad to say since vets deserve better. Like any other government run thing its not always the best. Not to say they are all bad.
Redwings are better than rockports in my opinion.

good luck

Dorothy on 7/14/03 at 01:17 (124361)

To John P: I do hope you find good relief for your foot pain. I think postal workers are part of the great and vital heart of the USA and don't get praised nearly enough. As is often recommended to new posters (if you are one), do read the 'book' on this website. It is freely available and will give you some good information. Also, are you trying to use ice and heat alternately? Are you taping your arches/heels per recommended methods on this site? Are you doing some of the stretches under 'yoga' on this site? FootTrainers are another good tool. And some foot massage can be very helpful. I just do hope that you get good information that helps on this site and elsewhere. Best wishes to you ~

JOHN P on 7/18/03 at 07:34 (124697)

POSTMASTER IS VERY RESPECTABLE , SO HE DOES NOT MIND ABOUT SHOES YOU WEAR AS LONG AS YOU SHOW UP FOR WORK. DO YOU RECOMMEND A SPECIFIC BRAND OR SHOE TYPE? WHAT ABOUT THE NEW BALANCE 810 MODEL? YOUR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED . THANK YOU .

Judy R on 7/19/03 at 10:57 (124787)

Hi Dorothy..I am relatively new to this website and have read all the information here..I started with PF about 2 months ago and saw my pod about one month ago...he started me out with warm foot bath followed by ice pack three times a day..has just taped my foot and now I do just the ice (of course) and the stretching exercises. It seems to be getting better..but who knows. This is the worst thing that has happened to me..never had any pain until now. I was wondering if people just 'get over it'..will there come a day when there is no pain? So many horror stories on here..I'd like to hear from someone who has beaten this.

Take care..hope you write to me..

Judy

Dorothy on 7/20/03 at 01:20 (124821)

Hello ~ I am not sure why you addressed your note to me, but I will try to respond in some way that makes sense.
I am no expert on this subject. It sounds like you are doing many of the things that people here have found helpful for PF, given the fact that you are doing warm foot baths and ice packs, taping and stretching. What stretching are you doing?? If you have read the posts here, you know that the traditionally recommended stretches are not necessarily good for PF. Many people here find the Yoga stretches described on this board (do a search under 'Yoga' on the Message Board home page) to be helpful.
Many people, including me, have found the FootTrainers to be very helpful. That website is http://www.foottrainers.com . The foot trainers and the yoga stretches are often thought to be more effective for PF than some of the stretches that you will see recommended on what would be considered 'expert' sites. If you can possibly arrange it, I think a good massage of the back and feet is also helpful; in addition, you can and should massage your own feet. Sometimes I have found an inexpensive handheld massager that I got at WalMart for under $10.00 with infrared heat in addition to the massage feature, to be helpful - as well as ice.
The shoes you wear can be very important as can insoles. I would suggest you review the many posts here about shoes and insoles and try to assess what might work for you. Unfortunately for the wallet, trial and error is often the route we all have to take.
I think if you spend some time reading on this board, you will find many notes from people who have 'beaten' PF, and other body pain.
It is not easy and not fun and, from your own experience and from your reading here you know this, it can affect your life in any number of ways.
I may be a minority of one, but I also think we can learn from everything and anything that comes our way in life. We can learn to be more courageous or more compassionate or we can learn more about how the human body works or how to live with pain or how to interact with medical folks, etc etc etc etc. I certainly do not mean to trivialize yours or anyone's pain - ever - but if you think about what you wrote '...this is the worst thing that ever happened to me....never had any pain before...', maybe you can recognize that you have been most fortunate, indeed, since many people have lived with pain or misfortune every single day of their lives and somehow they carry on and do so with dignity and courage. Maybe you can find those qualities in yourself for what has happened to you. I am not someone who says 'oh, look at that person's pain that is worse than yours..' as if somehow that makes your pain lesser; but it might bring some perspective to think along those lines.

I was just reading the Washington Post (www.washingtonpost.com) which is running a series about treating wounded veterans from the Iraq invasion at Walter Reed Hospital in D.C. That might bring you a different perspective. As human beings, no one is exempt from pain or difficulty. We have to somehow find out who we are and what it will mean in our lives.
Good luck.