Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another "shoe!" to try!!

Posted by Rachael T. on 7/13/03 at 12:25 (124313)

I went to a store named Rapid Transit Shoe Store in Penn State yesterday-to which I was recommended by a friend who knew of my 2 year stint w/ PF. She said that this salesman at that store had helped someone's footpain that she knew. SOOO, I tried! I saw 'Brett' there who spent 45 minutes with me & had out 20 prs. of sneakers - he had me 'test' them walking outside on the sidewalk - wearing sometimes different shoes on each foot - with & without my orthotics. I had explained to him that my orth. weren't always the best but yet if I went without them, I paid a painful price always! He eventually picked the Brooks Ariel $42100191 with a medium gel heel lift......I have worn them only 2 days now - but they are without my orthotics & I am still much improved -- I will post again later in the week after giving this latest 'shoe try' some time! He also advised me that a pf sufferer should never, ever wear an hour glass shaped sneaker-which is exactly what I had on when I walked into the store. Sharing this info - just in case any of you wish to try this Ariel by Brooks.....as I said - I will update you upon more wearing time!

Re: Another "shoe!" to try!!

Suzanne D on 7/13/03 at 16:07 (124332)

Good luck, Rachael! I hope these shoes work for you!

By the way, I hope you received my response to your e-mail about adding the soft footbed padding to my Birks. My school e-mail has been erratic this summer, so I wasn't sure if you got it or not. I responded to an earlier post of yours to ask you, but I think it moved on to the next page before you saw it.

Let me know if I need to resend the message to you.
Suzanne :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/03 at 20:01 (124515)

Rachael:
The Ariel is the womans' version of Brooks best motion control shoe, the Brooks Beast. The name 'Beast' was not popular with womaen so the company changed the name last year. Success with that shoe indicates one is in need of motion control.
Ed

Rachael T. on 7/15/03 at 23:35 (124524)

Dr.Davis & others.....Well, it has been since Sat. that I began to wear the Brooks Ariel WITH a medium gel heel lift or pad under the shoe's regular insole. I've not worn my orthotics since Saturday......thus far, heel pain is less & I am walking comfortably. I wonder--why did this work better (at least to this point!) than my prescribed orthotics (many pairs over last 2 years!) Of course, I do not & will not consider this a heal all......I am merely stating that between the orth. & this new 'agenda' with the Arials, I prefer the Arials - for both comfort & less pain. Please give me your input.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/16/03 at 14:27 (124561)

Rachael:

Such shoes and orthotics often work well together. Another look or opinion on your orthotics may be in order.
Ed

Rachael T. on 7/16/03 at 22:28 (124601)

I agree w/ your thoughts on the fact that my orth. may need another 'look' / adjustment....BUT, I feel soooo badly as my right one is great--but the left one has been adjusted 3 times & it still is just not cozy......I feel like a pain (& yes, my foot is a pain!) (-:
I cannot lie-I dread asking for another adjustment with the left orthotic....I am hopeful that this 'pillow lift' in the new Brooks Arial - does the trick......so far, so good! I shall remain hopeful & yes, I shall keep you all posted....& I cannot help but say to those of you that have a runner's store in your area....to go there & see if such a mixture of a certain tennis shoe & insert (not necessarily an orthotic) - but just a lift as I was given....may make a difference w/ your feet as it has w/ mine! Thank you for your comments, Dr. Ed!