Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hypermobile big-toe joint

Posted by nancy sc on 7/14/03 at 08:45 (124373)

I was told by a podiatrist that I have a hypermobile big toe joint. In attempting to do the 'plantar fasciia stretching' exercise I read about on the other board, I found that when I pull my big toe toward the top of my foot, it bends nearly to the foot. My husband (flat footed and with no PF) can only bend his about 45 degrees.

Does the hypermobile big toe joint predispose one to PF? I have no other foot anomalies that any of the 4 podiatrists, sports docs and physical therapists I have seen can find. Is there something I should look for in a running shoe because of this?

Re: hypermobile big-toe joint

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/14/03 at 13:34 (124402)

nancy sc:

A hypermobile big toe joint amy allow the foot to pronate more (roll in more) making PF more likely.

nancy sc on 7/14/03 at 14:08 (124410)

Thanks for answering. Does this mean that a less bendable running shoe is advisable? I have been thinking back to what changed when I got PF, and I realized that my problems started after I stopped wearing the New Balance 801 trail shoe (for running). This shoe is considered 'stiff' and I've never seen them advised for PF sufferers. Do you (or anyone else) have any opinion on this type of shoe?

Again, thanks in advance for any input.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/14/03 at 16:15 (124422)

Shoes still need to have good flex at the toe joints. A motion control shoe may be needed such as the NB1122. Motion is decreased in the rearfoot area for the most part. Some PF sufferers find that that shoe has too much motion control. See what your doc recommends as he/she is familiar with your foot type, body type, body weight, etc.

Re: thanks

nancy sc on 7/15/03 at 08:04 (124457)

I appreciate your input.