Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

magnectic therapy for heel pain

Posted by nelson rodriguez on 7/14/03 at 09:53 (124378)

has anyone had any experience with magnetic therapy wraps for heel.

thank you

nelson

Re: magnectic therapy for heel pain

BrianG on 7/15/03 at 21:14 (124521)

Hi Nelson,

In my opinion, magnets are a fraud. The only people they help, are the bank accounts of the people selling them! Check out: http://www.quackwatch.com

Regards
BrianG

PS: Save your money for tape, orthotics, ESWT !!!

john h on 7/16/03 at 08:27 (124529)

Brian: there have been some scientific studies done on mannets which indicate they do nothing. I have tried them as shoe inserts and they provided no relief. They join the rest of my goodies in the barrel of failures.

john h on 7/16/03 at 10:21 (124535)

Brian those mannets I spoke of are known as magnets outside of Arkansas.

BGCPed on 7/16/03 at 11:25 (124541)

The University of Indiana (I think) did one of the few good studies on magnets. They dont increase bloodflow one bit which is one of the main claims they make. I had a shyster from a magnet company talk to me a few years ago. It was like a carnival act.

He showed me his card and it said M.D. after his name. I asked him his specialty since I didnt think a Dr would waste time like this. His answer was 'Its MD for Magnet Distributor' real funny scam eh?

The magnets work by sucking the coins out of your pocket. If they are attached to a sleeve of some type the heat and compression of the sleeve makes it feel better

Richard, C.Ped on 7/16/03 at 11:50 (124545)

I have some really cool magnets on my refrigerator holding up my daughter's artwork. ;-)
Richard

Mar on 7/16/03 at 21:05 (124585)

I tried magnets with no pain relief, but then nothing has given me much pain relief! A friend claims they help his headaches and backaches though. I was able to try them for free, so it was worth the try. Mar

lara on 7/16/03 at 23:23 (124605)

My understanding (although I can't give you the source anymore) is that magnets are effective for some pain - if the magnet is large enough. Nothing that you could comfortably wear will come close to being 'large enough'

Mar on 7/17/03 at 06:51 (124609)

Yes, you are probably right. I wore 3 circular magnets on each foot but only at night when I was off my feet. Mar

marie on 7/17/03 at 20:17 (124681)

One of my student's parents sold magnets and insisted I try them. So to be nice I did. They didn't work and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Suzanne D on 7/19/03 at 22:55 (124817)

In the early days of my PF I tried some shoe inserts that were magnetic. They did nothing for my pain. Luckily I had bought them on sale and didn't pay too much for them.

Suzanne :)

Suzanne D on 7/19/03 at 22:57 (124818)

I give an A+ for THAT use of magnets! =D> If only all the parents of my students would show that much concern for their children's work...

Suzanne :)