Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOR THE DOCTORS: ? about plantar worts

Posted by Sharon W on 7/14/03 at 11:18 (124385)

What is the best intitial treatent to use for a single plantar wort, if a pulse dye laser is not available?

Sharon
:-/

Re: FOR THE DOCTORS: ? about plantar worts

Dr. Z on 7/14/03 at 13:17 (124397)

I like Sal Acid 40% Apply at nite

Sharon W on 7/14/03 at 15:17 (124416)

What about freezing it with liquid nitrogen, or high-dose Tagamet? Do you find either of those to be effective?

Sharon
:)

Dr. Z on 7/14/03 at 17:16 (124423)

Freezing is ok but can be painful. Tagamet could help you. Sal Acid is the most common form of treatment.

Sharon W on 7/14/03 at 19:30 (124427)

Thanks, Dr. Z!

It isn't me, though, it's my 22 yr old (college student) daughter, who doesn't have her own car... I've already made her an appointment with our podiatrist (my daughter has weird feet too) but it will be another 2 weeks. Meanwhile, she's limping around; it's causing pain. Is there anything that might help her cope with the pain in the meantime, besides Tylenol -- something OTC she could rub onto it, maybe? Would Biofreeze help with a painful plantar wart? (She can't use NSAIDs; they upset her stomach.)

Sharon
:-s (worried Mom)

Dr. Z on 7/14/03 at 20:48 (124432)

If the wart is on the bottom of the heel use a heel cup. If on the ball of the foot pad the area with metatarsal padding. You can find all of these things in the over the counter foot products in the drug store

Sharon W on 7/14/03 at 21:42 (124439)

Thanks again, Dr. Z.

I will tell her to look for something in a drug store (or medical supplies place?) to pad the ball of her foot with metatarsal padding.

Sharon

Sharon W on 7/14/03 at 21:44 (124440)

Dr. Z,

Oops -- I wasn't thinking. My daughter uses rigid orthotics... I guess padding won't work.

Sharon
:(

Dr. Z on 7/15/03 at 13:20 (124481)

Take the orthosis out for a few days. You can also try to place the pad on the orthosis. I would take the inserts out for a few days

rose on 7/15/03 at 14:45 (124489)

Tagament? I have never heard of that. Tell me more. I have just started taking Tagament for acid reflux. How much should one take for a wart? I hvae had one on and off for years. When it gets bad It is very hard to walk. I use the drug store acid and the stone and after amonth or soi it is better but reappears.

Sharon W on 7/15/03 at 21:59 (124522)

Thanks, Dr. Z., I'll pass that on.

I talked to her on the phone today (we live 2 hrs apart) and she says she hasn't been using her orthotics, that they hurt too much -- she's been wearing the Birkenstocks I bought her last year... (Sounds like Birks have made another convert!) The only problem is, her arches are so low they rub on the sandals... Probably works for a short-term solution, though.

Sharon

Re: FOR THE DOCTORS

Billy on 7/17/03 at 11:13 (124629)

Question about my foot pain. I get up in the morning and I have no foot pain, then I drive to work about 40 minutes and I walk like and old man going across the parking lot. After I walk around and they seem to be fine, then I'll sit at my desk get up an hour later and there sore again. What do you think.?

Sharon W on 7/17/03 at 12:16 (124635)

Rose,

I don't think Dr. Z saw this one, but I found the info about Tagamet and plantar warts -- on an old Heelspurs post by Dr. Bieler. (You should obviously talk to your own doctor before doing this):

Sharon

-----------------------------

Posted by Dr. Biehler on 4/12/01 at 10:02
Plantar worts are caused by a virus. They have a stauk like a carrot so they can be hard to get rid of. Freezing( by special tempeature) and thawing can kill the infected cells and may need to be done more than once. The acid creams ( which can cause a burn if used wrong ) also distroy the cells but needs to be applied as the deep layers of skin grow toward the surface untill the whole root has been distroyed. They can be surgicaly removed by various techniques. Also, taking 1500mg of tagament a day for 30 days has been known to have the side effect of getting rid of worts. You should be sure to check with your doctor before any of they treatments are tried. Dr. B.
%%-

Re: FOR THE DOCTORS

Sharon W on 7/17/03 at 13:11 (124639)

Billy,

This subject (thread) will soon disappear from the Ask the Foot Doctors page, and I'm afraid the doctors won't see it.

Why don't you try starting a new subject, to ask them your question about your foot pain? (Be sure to write 'FOR THE DOCTORS' in your subject line.)

Sharon