Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

physical therapy

Posted by Lori W. on 7/14/03 at 13:59 (124406)

Last summer I went to physical therapy for 3 weeks. He prescribed a series of strengthening and stretching exercises. He told me to continue the exercises virtually forever. I experienced mixed results. Often the stretching seems to do more harm than good. So I've dropped off of that somewhat. I have been using the Yoga stretches, but I'm wondering if physical therapy should consist of anything else. Is there something I missed in PT? Should I go to a different therapist?

Re: physical therapy

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/14/03 at 21:16 (124434)

Lori:

There are a number of things that can be done for PF at a PT's office: ultrasound, phonophoresis, deep tissue massage, iontophoresis, interferential therapy as well as stretching. There are a number of different ways to stretch as different techniques work better for different patients. You may want to consider a PT with a more comprehensive approach.
Ed

Re: physical therapy

Mike W on 7/15/03 at 14:21 (124486)

Hello Lori,

You are right many traditional PF exercises do more harm than good for the following reasons:

Targeting the wrong muscle (the flexor muscles). Instead you should try strengthening your extensor muscles.

Performing them in a weight bearing position. Instead you should perform them in a nonweight bearing position.

Not perfoming these exercises before the first weight bearing step of the day. Otherwise you may be reinjuring yourself every day.

For more information please check out my website, http://www.footrainer.com

Regards,

Mike W