Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Judy R on 7/16/03 at 19:42 (124580)

Hi..I am 61 years old and an avid golfer. Sometime in April I thought I had bruised my heel and that was what was causing me pain. I also go barefooted and in Florida we have tile floors on top of concrete..even with carpet, it is over congrete floors..little did I know that going barefooted almost all my life while home and comfortable would bring me such pain. After playing golf one fateful Thursday in May, I drove home and walked in the house almost in tears with the pain. It was then I called the Podiatrist and made an appt. for the following Monday. He put me on Prednisone and some stretching excercises..four weeks later I had to get a cortisone injection (ouch!)..it helped all of 6 hours the next day. Today I went for therapy and they taped my foot and told me to do about 30 or 40 stretching excercises every day. Needless to say, this is putting a crimp in my retirement lifestyle. My question is..when will it go away???
Anyone who wants to write to me or IM me, I'm willing...Glad to find this site..

Re: Heel Pain

Steve G on 7/16/03 at 23:41 (124606)

Judy - did your pod diagnose you with PF? Sounds like he did. Hard to say how long it will last. The key is to treat it early and aggressively. Read the heel pain book on this site to ensure that you are taking advantage of all of the treatment options. You may, for example, benefit from orthodics and the use of a night splint. Check out the book and let us know if you have any questions.

Aly on 7/17/03 at 12:06 (124634)

Hi there Judy,

Do be careful and extra-gentle with your stretching. Many of us were given weight-bearing stretches by physical therapists, only to discover that they were contributing to our pain.

You might take a look at Julie's Yoga Stretches that are located on this site. Good luck!

PS. And you really shouldn't go barefoot anymore. Until your feet heel completely, they need the structure & support of a good pair of shoes :)

Judy R on 7/18/03 at 11:38 (124721)

Hi..yes..pod determined that it was PF. I have had 1 cortisone injection (last Monday) and 2 days of therapy...right now as I sit here, it is feeling better and my pod said he could tell it was 'shrinking' - whatever that means. I have been doing the stand on one leg and put weight on arch for about a 15 second stretch..do this a couple of times each hour and as I think about it. Am wondering if this is the 'weight bearing' stretch that might do more harm? Sometimes I wonder if I am stretching right. I do the belt behind the ball of the foot in the morning and pull slowly on the foot for about 3 times at 15 sec. each..seems to help with those first few steps. My pod said he was pleased with my improvement after just a few days, but it still hurts when I walk around the house. I am hoping it will get better soon...miss my lifestyle! He taped it again today which I think is helping some. All in all, I know it's a long, drawn out process, but I am a type A personality and want to do more than I am doing now which is sitting around and hardly doing anything...guess I'll go to the kitchen and get something to eat!! Food helps...lol...at this rate I'll gain all my 31 lbs. back...!

Aly on 7/18/03 at 12:43 (124730)

Yes, if you're standing, it's weight-bearing and potentially could aggravate your PF. There's really no hard fast rule about these things - you just have to judge carefully for yourself. If you're feeling improvement, then maybe it's ok for you. My PF has gotten to the point where I can't stand very long, and try to only stand or walk when absolutely necessary - so weight-bearing stretches became out of the question. Just listen to your feet very carefully! :)

danielle on 8/02/03 at 18:48 (126030)

i just need some ways on how i can tape my foot to help my heel

Judy R on 8/02/03 at 22:37 (126062)

Danielle..got your note..my Pod taped my foot twice and then he had to have knee surgery, so I could not see him last week. So...my husband took the tape off my foot, saw how he did it and he has done it for me the last 3 times..(I go back to Pod on August 6)..I read some of the notes on the message board and got a web site that showed pictures of how to tape your foot for PF. My husband used one of those methods last night and it is working fine. I printed a copy and the address at the bottom of the page is as follows:

If you don't find this, read some of the emails on the message board..it is there somewhere..

Please write to me again and let me know how you are and if taping helped..Judy