Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain

Posted by Billy on 7/17/03 at 11:18 (124630)

Question about my foot pain. I get up in the morning and I have no foot pain, then I drive to work about 40 minutes and I walk
like and old man going across the parking lot. After I walk around and they seem to be fine, then I'll sit at my desk get up an
hour later and there sore again. What do you think.?

Re: foot pain

Dr. Z on 7/17/03 at 15:06 (124650)

This could be plantar fasciitis. Physical examination with a ultrasound would confirm pf

Re: foot pain from sitting

Kathy L on 7/23/03 at 10:07 (125030)

I had a similar problem. I did't have pain in the morning. My problem started last January. I had never heard of PF. After trying to figure out what I'd done to get it, I believe it is caused by sitting for long periods at my work desk. I'd get to work, and after sitting for an hour or so, would find I couldn't stand to walk without pain, and I'd hide the limp. It kept getting worse, and I sought a docter. I now believe it was caused by the fact that I've been sitting for years on a chair where my legs hung off the edge (my desk was too high), causing constant pressure on the back of my legs. The back of my legs would hurt, and then my heel would begin to scream at me.
The best things I've done are:
1) light streching. Physical therapy gave me a couple of good ones. One is standing with my toes on a 2x4 for 5 - 10 minutes. This gives a gentle stretch vs. a more direct stretch. I put pieces of 2x4 near my sinks, and I use them when doing dishes. Physical therapy also gave me a stretch for my leg behind my buttocks. I cross my legs, and bring the affected knee towards my chin, crossing my other leg.
2) Physical therapy has given me one iontophoresis cortisone treatment for the pain coming from the heel around and up the inner side of my foot. This was wonderful.
3) I use ice pads in evening.
4) I wear gel pads in my shoes ALL the time and good quality supportive shoes. Terrible on style, but I must do if I want this PF healed.
5) I don't sit for long periods.
It IS WORKING. My pain is getting less and some days I don't notice anything until late in the day.