Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

saw the dr.

Posted by cooper on 7/17/03 at 14:51 (124646)

I saw the dr. yesterday. I still have symptoms of entrapment. He used his hammer and caused some very strange tingling sensation mostly toward the back of my heel. He said maybe the nerve will regenerate with time. He also injected the suture line with cortisone because he said there was a fair amount of scar tissue. I will continue pt. but only because the therapist suggested. The dr. didn't seem to care either way. If this does not improve he does not have anything more to offer. He said there has been some who have had the implantable nerve stimulator. I know they do that for the rsd but has anyone had it for tss. I keep hoping for results but get very frustrated. I worked today and had to work on my feet even though I had had the cortisone yesterday. I would like to check on the insurance adding to your pay if you take a lower paying job but am not sure how to go about that. Thanks for listening.

Re: saw the dr.

dave r on 7/17/03 at 15:14 (124651)

That insurance is part of long term disability. Your employer is responsible for providing this to you if their policy has this. You need to ask some one about this......

lauriel on 7/17/03 at 15:29 (124652)

Cooper, Many large employers offer disability insurance to their employees it is optional, so if you have it, it should apply to you. do a search on the web for disability insurance for info

Dont give up, I still have symptons and my TTS surgery has been over 7 months. Some shoes make it worse. My Dr said it could take a long time, like this long because the nerves are regeneratng themselves. so to give it time. I am sorry but your Dr is terrible to say that MAYBE the nerve will regenerate. This is a very long healing process with some people getting better sooner than others. I would listen to your PT. I went for over 2 months and it was a god send. After that point I stopped because there was nothing more they could do and I as was able to excercise at home. As for the scar tissue. I hope your PT is massaging it and you are too. This is extremely important! As painful as it was when they were doing it, I thank them now.
and for your Dr to say he didnt care either way is appalling. My Dr was kind of the same way. If I were you you should take charge of your healing process, I did and I think I am much better off. And listen to your PT, hopefully its a good one. If you have other peoples post on the PT and how it has helped them recover.

Dont know if you do this at work, but can you when you are off your fet elevate your foot and ice. If you can get 10 minutes in here and there it may help a lot.

Hang in there
Laurie

Barbara S on 7/17/03 at 17:27 (124657)

Cooper, I had my TTS and PF release in April of 2002 and I am still having problems. The pain isn't as bad as before,but I have still not been able to return to my active life. I was a 4-6 mile a day walker,golfer and love to ride bike outside.
I was fired from my job in Aug of last year as my employer felt I should be at work and my doctors would not release me. I had a desk job,but my pain and depression were out of control.
I have an attorney who filed a disability discrimination lawsuit,but it is a very slow process.

I did PT for over 5 months. I started having problems in my left foot. I went back to my Pod and he sent me to PT again. I went for a month,but they released me as there isn't anything more they can do and I too can do the exercises at home.

I had a new pair of orthotics made 2 weeks ago. I'm having problems with them so I'm going back to Pod tomorrow and then to the place that made my orthotics.

I still have alot of burning & tingling on bottom of my foot. The throbbing acheyness is in my ankle and goes up my leg. I still elevate my foot and ice it. I take ultram for pain, amitriptylin to sleep and wellbrutrin for depression.

So as you can tell for some it can be a very very long recovery.

So hang in there.
Barbara

Terry D. on 7/18/03 at 12:42 (124729)

I am 8 weeks post op and am just starting to get feeling back. Not deeply into the muscles of my foot but I can feel touch to my skin......so be very patient. I also am taking alpha llipoic acid and DHA as supplimental vitamins. I am confident they are helping me.
I massage neosporin into the scare a couple of times a day. My skin has become very soft and supple so I would recommend that too.
I found the best therapy for me was a swimming pool. I swim, but the best thing is to hold myself up at the edge of the pool and in a parallel position to the bottom of the pool kick my feet like I am running. I do this for 5 min. and now kick quite vigorously......Initially I started out slowly. Then I flip over belly down and do the same for 5 min.
I then jog slowly around the pool for 5 min. then swim for 5 then repeat everything. I'm up to an hr. I'm 100% sure this is helping me because I can feel 'good' tingly pain in my foot...kind of like when your foot falls asleep and it starts to awaken.
Hope this helps.

lauriel on 7/18/03 at 13:00 (124733)

Terry, glad to hear you are doing so well at 8 weeks. I am sure the pool is helping a lot. I just couldnt bring myself to do that in the middle of winter even if I could use an indoor pool. I am doing a lot of swimming now and it is helping. Are you doing rubber band excercises. These really helped my strenghten my ankle. I stopped doing them for awhile and notice my ankle was still weak compared to the other and started doin them again and this has really helped strenghtened an addition to really helping with the flexibility. YOu should start massaging some vitamin E on your scar too.
Laurie

Terry D. on 7/18/03 at 13:18 (124735)

Thanks for the tip on vitamin E. I stretch every day and that helps with the scare tissue and flexability...haven't used the rubber bands but as you indicate they really do work.
Hopefully we'll continue to get better and better.

cooper on 7/27/03 at 17:20 (125372)

Thanks for all the info. I have been away on vacation so just got to read the info. I do use the rubber bands and have used the vit.e cream but will start massaging more. I also elevate my foot on a small stool and ice at work. It only gets it up about 6 inches but my pt says it's better than nothing. I will go back for more pt. but my insurance limits me to 25 visits and I am up to 17 now. I do do the exercises at home so it does help. I am not a swimmer but I do walk my dogs almost daily but it is not an aerobic walk but better than nothing. Vacation was wonderful for both my feet, only a few episodes of pain. Home one day and trying to catch up has already started to bother me.

marie on 8/01/03 at 19:46 (125941)

Hang in there! Any kind of exercise is good for you right now. Just don't overdue on the walking. Swiming is a little better as there is no impact. I lay on my back on the bed and hook a towel under my foot and pull my leg to my chest and then extend it. I wish I could draw it for you but I hope you get the idea. It is not impactive and is an easy exercise.

bet wishes marie