Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to Handle Swimming?

Posted by ShelleyK on 7/17/03 at 15:52 (124653)

I've had PF for more than a year but seem to be ever so gradually improving to the pont where it seems almost gone unless I walk too fast or too far (more than 2 miles). This may be due to 14 months of such activities as wearing podiatrist-recommended recommended athletic shoes with custom-made orthotics, walking more slowly and avoiding exercise or hikes more than 2 miles and replacing with exercise bike riding, icing heels nightly, stretching twice daily, doing other foot and back exercises as I also have bouts of back pain, nightly wearing of night splint, and occasional Ibuprofen use. (Physical therapy didn't seem to help.) I've also been avoiding wearing sandals or ever going barefoot. Problem is, I want to go swimming in lakes, and don't want the PF to return, but don't know what to wear on my feet. Any suggestions/advice?

Re: How to Handle Swimming?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/17/03 at 16:09 (124654)

Shelly:
Swimming should not adversely affect the PF. You do have to do some walking so try to use shoes on the beach. Consider Birkenstock clogs for use on the beach. There are some shoes (water mocassins) that can be used in the water and you could place a plastic pre-fab orthotic in them although that may slow down your swimming so that may only be needed if there is a long walk to the swimming area.
Ed

ShelleyK on 7/17/03 at 16:23 (124656)

Thanks so much for the information. I'll look into the water moccasins and clogs and probably try those.

Rick R on 7/18/03 at 07:49 (124698)

My wife hated the look but I used to go to the beach all taped up so the inevitable short hobble on bare feet wouldn't set me back. I still wear a retired pair of running shoes to the beach. If I'm going to toss the football around with the kids they stay on, even in the water.

Rick

Lori W. on 7/18/03 at 23:01 (124768)

A good outdoor water shoe is 'Chaco'. They are similar to TEVAs, but have much better arch support. Also, the straps hold your feet firmly in place. This is a shoe that has been comfortable for me through the worst of it. These shoes can be found through outdoor stores such as REI. Also, my Birkenstock store carries a limited supply.

ShelleyK on 7/21/03 at 12:26 (124889)

Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to master taping myself, and when I had a physical therapist do it, it worked well the first time only and not well after. I will try to get the water shoes recommended and if I can't find any on time, will get out some old running shoes and at least wear those in the water.