Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Clubfoot

Posted by Rhonda C on 7/17/03 at 18:43 (124663)

I was born with a clubfoot and was treated from birth by casts and leg braces. My foot has been hurting badly for the past few years. Is this normal and is there anything I can do? I would love any help.

Re: Clubfoot

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/17/03 at 20:04 (124678)

Rhonda:

A lot depends on the degree of correction that was obtained for the clubfoot. There are two main types of clubfoot, talipes equinovarus, where the foot points down and in and talipes calcaneovalgus, where the foot points up and out. What type did you have? How complete was the correction?
Ed

Rhonda C on 7/17/03 at 20:21 (124683)

I had casts for most of my infantcy and leg braces and also corrective shoes. I never had surgery. Im not really sure what kind I have. My foot was really arched and also turned inwards at the ankle. I hope this helps. I am just really tired of the pain. It hurts to walk or do most anything anymore and I have 4 young kids to keep up with.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/18/03 at 18:17 (124757)

Rhonda:

It sounds like you had talipes equinovarus. Does your foot look fairly normal (ie. how much correction was achieved?)? Where is most of the pain you are having?
Ed

Rhonda C on 7/18/03 at 18:21 (124758)

Well my foot looks fairly normal. You cant tell unless I point it out. I still have some curviture at the inside of my ankle and it always looks like my ankle is swollen. The pain seems to be all over. My heal and my ankle and most of my foot. It usually feels tired and throbs. When I stand for awhile I have to put most of my weight on my left foot so my right one can rest. But by the end of the day I am in alot of pain. I like to take my 4 kids for walks but it is hard to do sometimes. Thank you for all your help.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/19/03 at 17:30 (124803)

Rhonda:

The best thing would be to seek help from a professional in your area. We don't have enough information to come up with any ideas at this point.
One source of referrals is http://www.acfas.org
Ed