Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Enjoy...the year was 1903

Posted by marie on 7/17/03 at 19:16 (124673)

Enjoy.
YEAR OF 1903:

Bob Hope born May 1903.

Wright brothers first powered flight December 1903.

==============================================

This ought to boggle your mind, I know it did mine!

The year is 1903, one hundred years ago ... what a difference a century makes.

Here are the US statistics for 1903....

The average life expectancy in the US was forty-seven (47).

Only 14 Percent of the homes in the US had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi,! Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000.

More than 95 percent of all births in the US took place at home.

Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. Coffee cost fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.

The five leading causes of death in the US were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea

4. Heart disease

5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.

Canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

There were no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

One in ten US adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.'

Eighteen percent of households in the US had at least one full-time servant or domestic.

There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire US.

Just think what it will be like in another 100 years from now. It boggles the mind..........

Re: Enjoy...the year was 1903

john h on 7/18/03 at 10:23 (124714)

Marie: My first new car was a Buick which was a 2 door white with red leather interior, no power steering or A/C. Cost $2900. Payment was $100 per month. As a second Lieutenant on fling status my pay was $300 per month. My 45 RPM record player cost $25 and I think gas was around $.20 a gallon. As a golf caddy I got $.75 a bag carrying double for nine holes so if I carried double for 36 holes I received $6.00 and took about 8-9 hours with some hackers. All my buddies and I considered anyone who made $10,000 per year as very rich. I could go on a nice date for $6.00. Cokes were $.05 and at the drug store you could get a burger and shake for $.25. We did not lock the doors at night and the windows were open. After each football game we had a big dance at the commuuninty center (free). We respected our teachers and treated them like Gods and we actually learned something whether we wanted to or not. If you did not pass your courses you were held back a grade. Our class was very much together from grade school through high school. No drugs, no guns. Some of my Italian buddies had home made wine which we might on occasion w might get a bottle of We have progressed in many areas of society but we sure have gone backwards. in education and how we treat people. My class mates were largely 1st generation Italians and wealthy Jewish kids. We all got along well.

marie on 7/19/03 at 09:29 (124779)

You just dated yourself John. I remember when coke was .10 and the Sunday afternoon matinee was .25. I remember when I thought .50 for a gallon of gas was a rip off. I would get up at 5:00 am every morning in the summer and go outside to play. I didn't return til dinner time. No one had to worry about me. My first rock concert was Paul Revere and the Raiders and it cost 1.50. I didn't have alot of toys so I used my imagination.

Yes those were the good old days.

john h on 7/19/03 at 10:25 (124782)

Marie my first concert was Bob Crosby and the Bobcats (Bing's brother). Bet you never heard of him.

Saturday afternoon double feature western with a serial and comedy was $.10.

marie on 7/19/03 at 16:08 (124797)

Nope I've never heard of him.....my brothers who are way way older than I probably have. ;) Our Sunday double features were usually Elvis movies...I've seen every one.