Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cause & Effect

Posted by Bill Wood on 7/18/03 at 16:00 (124749)

I finally have the results of my MRI on my foot.

Mild tenosynovitis of the left peroneus longus tendon at a level just distal to the lateral malleolus. In addition, there is very subtle linear abnormal signal located within the tendon extending from the distal tip of the lateral malleolus to a level roughly 1 cm distal to the lateral malleolus. This may represent granulation tissue at a site of previous tear. Moderate amount of edema seen within Kager's fat pad. Moderate amount of nonspecific edema seen to the subcutaneous fat of the posterior half of the left ankle and superficial to the left lateral malleolus.

I am told (by my Pod) that this is a slight tear in the tendon. I am convinced that it was caused by my orthotic. If my treating physician agrees with that opinion I would expect the CPed is not going to be happy.

Re: Cause & Effect

BGCPed on 7/18/03 at 16:33 (124752)

What type of foot do you have? What type of shoe do you wear?

Re: Cause & Effect

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/18/03 at 18:23 (124759)

Longitudinal tears in peroneus longus in the location you describe are very common and may actually be a normal variant. Tenosynovitis means that the tendon (or its covering) is inflamed. That can be caused by an acute injury including an ankle sprain or by chronic over-inversion of the foot which is something an orthotic could do.