Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good News

Posted by rose on 7/20/03 at 13:59 (124841)

I just wanted to let you know that there is hope if everything else fails. I spent years trying everything to help my plantar fasciitis go away. Some things helped, but it was still there greatly slowing down my life and causing pain.
I had a neuroma in the other foot that was getting larger and larger and definatley needed surgery. Well, since I had to have surgery for that, I decided, after much research, to go ahead and have him do both feet at once. That was his recommendation. He told me that most of his plantar fasciitis surgeries have wonderful outcomes. Within 6 weeks his patients are thrilled. He did say it can take from 6-12 months to be completely healed, but within 6 weeks, most patients are thrilled with the results.
Well, I did it almost 3 weeks ago. I am in a boot. I was told that I could take the boot off and start walking in sneakers with a soft insole with a little arch at three weeks and do it starting for a few minutes and working up to 5 hours. Then I could 'lose' the boot. He recommended I sleep with a splint or the boot on both feet to prevent an reoccurance. I do have a lighter case of PF in the other foot. So this should prevent it from getting and worse and probably help it heal and go away.
Well, I couldn't wait to try it, so this morning I carefully put on my sneakers and I was thrilled to be able to walk around the house with NO PAIN!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!! Also, I am no longer on any pain killers. I do take a little motrin or aspirin occasionally in case there is any swelling and to reduce the possibility of any blood clots. But there is no longer any swelling at all. That is probably because I did nothing butice both feet for one whole week after surgery.
I just wanted to let everybody know, that there is always this option if everything else fails. I was blessed to have a very experienced surgeon, one who has actually invented a new technique for neuroma surgery and has won mumerous awards in his field. So, that took my fear out of having this surgery, as I know he is very very experienced with probably 25 years experience at least.
So I encourage all of you to hang in there. I know, from reading this board, that things can go bad, so I am taking it very slow and easy. I am also blessed to be off for the summer, so I can afford to really be kind to my feet.
I will keep you all posted. Rose

Re: Good News

Dr. Z on 7/20/03 at 18:55 (124847)

Sounds great

Marcia H. on 8/02/03 at 21:21 (126052)

Happy for you. Will you kindly tell me who performed the surgery. Thanks.

Brenda R. on 8/23/04 at 10:41 (158583)

I recently have had nueroma and hammertoe surgery and am very interested in the timeline of healing. Your testimony sounds great and the Dr. also. What was his name and are things still going well? Any pertinent updates would be appreciated.