Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advise

Posted by Terry Z on 7/21/03 at 14:07 (124906)

I am at my wits end I had tts surgery in January that did help however the RSD is back and a couple of neuromas have developed on my right foot. My surgeon released me two weeks ago said he couldn't help me not even with the neuromas. I did get orthotics for the right because that's what he wanted they may help a little but it's sure no cure. Well I'm getting one on my left foot now. Do any of you know a good doctor in the Milwaukee or Sheboygan area in Wisconsin. I know the longer this goes on the worse it will be I need one good foot. Please
Terry

Re: Need Advise

dave r on 7/21/03 at 14:13 (124907)

Terry, who did your surgery? I have seen many doctors in the Milwaukee area. Dr. Randall Dei is a good one....Charles Klein is an orthopedic surgeon that is pretty sharp. You can email me if you like.
(email removed)

Terry Z on 7/21/03 at 14:28 (124909)

Will do

Carol D on 7/21/03 at 20:00 (124927)

I had tts surgery on June 4 by Steven Haddad, MD at the Ill. Bone and Joint Institute (Glenview, just north of Chicago). He wrote the chapter on Nerve Compression in a Foot and Ankle Orthopoedic text (edited by Myerson, I believe). He seems quite knowledgable. I am still recovering, but coming along well. Good luck to you.

Re: To Carol, Haddad was my surgeon too

Pam S. on 7/22/03 at 15:28 (124971)

Dear Carol
It is a small world on the internet. Dr. Haddad did my TTS release several years ago. I thought he was fabulous and he is considered one of the top orthopedic foot/ankle surgeons in the US if not beyond. I am sure you know that. Their physical therapist are excellent too.

I am glad you are recovering well. If you don not mind my asking, did you have an MRI which showed a mass in the tunnel etc. before having the surgery?How long were you in pain before you decided to have the surgery?I would be interested to know how you progress. You are certainly in good hands. Happy healing, Pam

Re: To Pam re Dr. Haddad

Carol D on 7/22/03 at 19:05 (124984)

Dear Pam,

I had some tts pain for 2 years before surgery; the first year was mild and the second severe. None of my local docs ordered an MRI. I tracked down Dr. H. through information on this web site. An MRI was the first step Dr. Haddad took and the MRI showed a Schwannoma tumor (tumor of the nerve sheath, I understand) in the tarsal tunnel area. I think the tumor may have been in response to a hiking injury. What was the cause of your tarsal tunnel woes? How are you doing now? I am 6 week post-op; I have had regular PT (here in my home town of Champaign, IL); I am on Vioxx;and I am recently off crutches. I still get swelling and soreness from moderate usage, but the old familiar TTS type pain is gone. What has been the nature of your progress? Are you able to participate in most of the activities you did before TTS? I, too, feel I have had excellent care from Dr. H. Carol D

Re: To Carol

Pam S. on 7/22/03 at 21:21 (124997)

Maybe we should just e-mail each other but I had this surgery back in 99. I really was in alot of pain after and several months prior to the surgery. I had originally been to a local pod. who was very good and he ordered the MRI. It showed nothing. I found out about Haddad thru many people who have had surgery from him in this area. Even one of our friends in CA or is an ortho. surgeon had heard of him. I have recommended him to others on this board. He is now doing very high end foot or ankle reconstruction type surgeries so I am glad he is doing TTS type surgeries still.

You are lucky in a sense that your MRI showed something. Your results will be terrific. My symptoms seem to be coming back a bit here and there. He did not tell me that that might happen. I also have had quite a bit of physical therapy at Ill. Bone and Joint for tts in my other foot and for PF in both feet. It is just so busy there with surgical patients I really have not wanted to call there and go back for this new problem. I certainly would not have the surgery again so what is the use.

I have no idea WHY I got TTS. MY feet pronate and I had these crazy hard orthodics at the time and was pounding away on the treadmill. The rest is history. My feet speak to me every day since. This board has been very helpful.

This has been a while back for me but it was quite some time for my foot to feel normal. I remember shoes were hard to find due to the location of the incision. Swelling and soreness is normal. His nurse is really nice but it takes them a bit to call back. Very busy office.

I just think he is such a nice person. He has a little boy now who is so cute. He is very well respected. No matter what you had a great surgeon. I have read some scary stuff on these boards about surgery. We should feel fortunate. I just wish both my feet were more perfect after all that. sorry this is so long and sorry for anyone reading this who has heard enough of my tales of woe HAAAA

Carol, just ask me any questions you need to and be PATIENT!!! It just seems to take time to heal. I just feel like his office did not really prepare me for what it would be like after. I did sort of JUMP into the decision because the pain was unbearable. He had an opening and I just thought I want this over with. I will stop now. Write back if you want to. Take care. Glad you are off crutches. I hated them. Pam

ps which hospital were you in ... did you get to stay overnight?

Re: ps for Carol

Pam S. on 7/22/03 at 21:26 (124998)

Carol, It sounds like you are progressing very well. I do not want to sound discouraging. Also, I seem to be very sensitive to pain and it takes me a long time to get over things. Everyone is different. I never thought foot surgery would be any big deal but it sort of was for ME.
Anyway, you made the right decision, and now you just have to rest and take care of yourself. Did Haddad recommend the Vioxx. Pam

Re: ps for Carol

Carol D on 7/23/03 at 08:40 (125028)

Hi Pam

Thanks for sharing information about your experience. It helps so much to know what others have been through. I wish you the best in your pursuit of stronger feet. Carol