Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've had it!

Posted by CarolAnn B. on 7/21/03 at 17:32 (124923)

Hi
Anyone have any great ideas on my plantar faciatias? I have had a bum heel since last August. I am on my feet a lot at work and cannot do the things I like to do such as hiking and working out. I have tried chiropractic (which seemed to help my other foot 2 years ago), soaking, ice, physical therapy for 2 weeks, Nikkon magnets in my shoes, regular insoles, buying super good supportive shoes, wearing an ankle type support to support the foot (while working out), stretching, and stretching and stretching...and presently have been using a night splint since July 4th. DO you know how uncomfortable that thing is?! :) I am very conservative and will not consider any cortisone shots or surgery and my insurance will not cover orthodics.
Help! Any grand ideas?
CA

Re: I've had it!

SteveG on 7/21/03 at 20:04 (124928)

That depends on how much money you've got. ESWT would be the next choice, but insurance companies are bailing out right and left, so you would most likely have to pay out of pocket. Do you live near Canada?

Suzanne D on 7/21/03 at 22:35 (124934)

CarolAnn, have you read the Heel Pain Book (just click on the blue words here) on this site? If not, I urge you to do so. It sounds as if you are doing many of the right things for your foot. I suppose you have been under the care of a podiatrist since you mentioned physical therapy. As you know, plantar fasciitis doesn't often resolve itself quickly. Are you able to rest your feet very much? It seems that no matter what else we do, if we don't give our feet some time to heal, it takes much longer for this to happen. You might give attention to the taping suggestion on this site (in part 2 of the Heel Pain Book, I believe). Also you mentioned stretching quite a bit. Many people who post here have found that TOO much stretching - or the wrong kind (for many, weight-bearing stretches such as the wall stretch and the hanging-off-the-stair stretch can cause more injury) - can be detrimental.

Good luck to you! Keep reading and posting here. You will find much helpful information and good support from others who understand.

Suzanne :)

CarolAnn B. on 7/22/03 at 06:15 (124941)

Thanks Suzanne...I will check out things in more detail...I am now looking into things more ...I saw Scott's site a while ago but didn't notice the message board. HAH! Rest my feet...I'm like that little everyready battery bunny at work, it's really stressful. I'll be in touch...
carolann

CarolAnn B. on 7/22/03 at 06:16 (124942)

What is ESWT again? I've got some research I can see. How much money is it? CarolAnn

Kathy G on 7/22/03 at 08:37 (124947)

CarolAnn,

Welcome to the club to which few want to belong! As the saying goes, we feel your pain!

Suzanne has great tips. The heel pain book is full of wonderful information as are these Boards. Scan them, daily if you can, to pick up interesting ideas of how to make your feet healthy again. I assume you are seeing a Podiatrist, (lovingly referred to as a Pod on these Boards)? If not, I'd suggest doing so. If you click on this link, Yoga Stretches, you should find some stretching exercises that many of us find helpful. The wall stretches and stair hanging which your Physical Therapist may have recommended are seen as being more harmful to people with PF as far as the people on this Board are concerned.

Unfortunately, rest, icing, gentle stretching, and orthotics seem to help people the most. It's obviously tough for you to rest on your job but hopefully you can get off your feet at home.

Keep us posted. Don't despair. Many of the people here are much better than they used to be and some are cured. You'll notice, by the way, that Scott has a whole section dedicated to ESWT. If you peruse that Board, you may find some information and don't hesitate to post a question. People and our doctors, who donate their time, are very nice about answering questions.

Good Luck!%%-

Richard, C.Ped on 7/22/03 at 08:48 (124948)

CarolAnn,
There are many people out there that have and insurance plan that excludes orthotics. What I do for my patients in that situation is to provide a payment plan if necessary, along with discounting the price. The bad thing is, not everyone makes a proper orthosis. I just came back from a seminar where the insructor said he takes impressions standing!!! That cast looked awful, and he charges over $500 per pair!!!!!

I would suggest finding as many C.Peds in your area that you can and ask about their options in working with you to provide a good supportive pair of orthtoics. This is needed in order to support your fascia so you will not have the 'tugging' that occurs on the plantar fascia...thus, reducing pain.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Richard

Kathy G on 7/22/03 at 09:22 (124954)

Good point, Richard. I went to a C.Ped in my area who spent a great deal of time with me before deciding that she would not make me orthotics any different than the ones I was wearing. After this consultation that lasted perhaps forty minutes, when I tried to pay, she said it was free!

Here in NH, I really had to search for a C.Ped so their prevalence probably depends on where you live.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/22/03 at 13:24 (124966)

Use this link to find a C.Ped in your area.
http://www.pedorthics.org/framed11.html

CarolAnn B. on 7/22/03 at 19:28 (124986)

Hey Suzanne! Explain to me the proper streching deal...It's true my pt guy said to stretch up against the wall and I did a stretch where I was on a slanted board. He also encouraged me to pull my toes towards me with one leg crossed over the other. I have read the info on scott's site as well. I am not overweight so I can't use that excuse but if I keep sitting I will be a couch potato! YIKES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CarolAnn :)

Dorothy on 7/22/03 at 20:39 (124994)

Foot Trainers?

BrianG on 7/22/03 at 22:03 (125001)

Hi Carole Ann B,

I'm with Richard, and the others here, when it comes to orthotics. If your going to spend some money out of pocket, I really think orthotics are your best treatment for the money. There are many kinds, including some that you will not be able to wear, and they could end up in the drawer, for later use as ice scrapers. Try to get whoever is going to make them for you, to guarantee that they will be comfertable to wear. There are many kinds, try the search engine, found at the top of the main pages.

You can also ask questions at the 'Inserts, orthotics, shoes' forum, also found at this web site.

Regards, good luck
BrianG

Tasuha Y on 6/05/08 at 22:45 (247385)

Yes I've suffered from this for years and finally got so bad that I was put into a walking cast for 3 month...best thing I ever did... do not suffer from it anymore and would go back into the cast if it ever happened again. I even had painful injections and tons of medication- get the walking cast!!!