Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

STRANGE question...

Posted by Suzanne D on 7/22/03 at 08:28 (124946)

I received in the mail yesterday a new pair of soft footbed Arizonas, same size as my two-year old pair - 42, regular width. They feel good, I like the color, but this is the strangest thing...With every step I take, as the left foot strikes the ground there is a sound like stepping on a whoopie cushion! It seems that in the arch area, there is a suction formed each time I step down, and it makes this sound! It doesn't happen in the right foot. I have adjusted and re-adjusted the two straps, and that doesn't help. My Bostons do the same thing if I put them on barefooted, but I always wear socks with them, so they are o.k. They are narrow, not regular, as I kept coming out of the regular size. I thought that's why they made the sound, since they were a little tighter in the arch area. I placed my new Arizonas next to my old ones, and they appear to be a tiny bit more narrow than the old pair even though they are both regular width.

Well, aside from giving some of you a good laugh 8-(PIPE) (And I can't say that I blame you!), does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Suzanne :)

Re: STRANGE answer :-)

Richard, C.Ped on 7/22/03 at 08:54 (124949)

You might want to try a little baby powder or something similar and either put on your foot or on the shoe. That should help. I think over time, the heat from your foot will help the shoe form better which will decrease the noise.
Richard

Re: STRANGE question...

Carole C in NOLA on 7/22/03 at 20:40 (124995)

Do you think that maybe they will be better once they conform to the shape of your foot better? My only suggestion would be to maybe try some bath powder or foot powder on your foot. I'm sure Richard came up with a much better suggestion, so I'll read that next.

And yes, you DID give me a good laugh! Though I imagine that if that happened to me, I'd be disappointed and puzzled while laughing. :))

Carole C

Re: STRANGE answer :-)

Suzanne D on 7/22/03 at 22:39 (125005)

Thanks, Richard! I tried that as soon as I read your suggestion. I think the powder and some time for my shoes to conform to my feet should indeed help. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

School begins in two weeks here, and I can't let my first graders be distracted by my shoes. Believe me, they notice anything like that! :'>

Hope all is well with your family.

Suzanne D on 7/22/03 at 22:48 (125007)

See, Carole, you and Richard are on the same track! Thanks for the suggestion. It IS funny although like you said, my first reaction was, 'Oh, no...It's SO hard to get shoes that fit and work for me; now this!' But I am hopeful that in time this will straighten itself out.

In the meantime. I'll wear them and use the powder. I suppose if all else fails, in two weeks I'll just tell my first graders that I have some new shoes, and they make a little noise sometimes but they help my feet feel better. Usually if you take the time to explain things to them they react in a positive manner. Actually, my school children have been the most supportive about my foot problems of anyone (other than you all here) I've had contact with during the past two years.

Thanks, Carole! I have missed reading about your plants and yard and happenings in your life on the social board. If you have time, I'd love to hear from you there!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/03 at 05:33 (125015)

I should have read Richard's comment first! He said it so much better. After I read his comment, I wished I could have edited or deleted mine, but I hadn't put my e-mail address on it. Oh well.

I'm still a little 'gun-shy' about the social board, because every time I think it's back to normal, people start posting political stuff again. I did post once over there yesterday. We'll see. I miss that board too! At least, I miss the way it used to be.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/23/03 at 07:48 (125023)

Oh, don't wish you hadn't posted, Carole! It's always like a nice phone call from a friend when I see a response from you.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/23/03 at 08:18 (125025)

haha Carol!!! I read you comment and I was thinking to myself...'Wait a minute...I just said that'. haha!!! Great minds I guess!! ;-)

I just skip over those political posts now. Mostly I have noticed they are cut and pasted from other sources. I don't have time to read all that. Besides, Dr. Ed is on vacation so there will not be political threads until he returns....heee heeee. BGCped usually responds to those political posts. I have noticed that when Ed is not around, neither is BG. Hmmmmm...are they the same??????? The mystery begins!!!

PS
Of course Ed and BG....there is no offense to what I just wrote. It was written is all in jest...I'm just silly that way. ;-)
Richard

Cyndi T. on 7/23/03 at 11:20 (125037)

Hey, my new Birks sound like that too, glad to know I'm not the only one. It would be a weird sound if I were to wear them in a library, for example. Thanks for posing the question!

Dorothy on 7/23/03 at 16:30 (125062)

Or, here is another suggestion: wear the shoes AND some corduroy slacks and call it music!

Kathy G on 7/23/03 at 18:44 (125079)

Dorothy - that's a great idea! May as well become a one-man (or woman) band!

Suzanne - My orthotics make a similar noise when I put them into a new pair of running shoes. Same make, same style as my others but when I'm breaking them in, they make some really strange noises! Powder seems to do the trick!

Carol - I, like Richard, ignore the political posts. I don't even read them. I was happy to see your name on the Social Board and really do wish you'd come back. I, too, miss the 'old' board!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/03 at 19:47 (125085)

I have to admit that you have quite an imagination, as well as a sense of humor, if you think Dr. Ed and BGCped are the same! I know, you were joking. It's hilarious, though, because of their differences in how they answer foot questions. Not that either is wrong, but it is pretty easy to see that they have different strengths and areas of expertise on foot issues.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/03 at 19:48 (125086)

Thanks, Suzanne! I feel the same about your posts. When you don't post for a day, I miss your posts too. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/23/03 at 22:51 (125111)

Glad to know I'm not the only one as well!