Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

torn ligament in foot

Posted by annie b on 7/22/03 at 08:58 (124950)

I think I may have torn a ligament in my foot. Does this mean I'll have to have surgery if I did tear it? How will this affect my running in the future? I'm training for a marathon in March 04.

Thanks,
Annie

Re: torn ligament in foot

bongony@aol.com on 7/22/03 at 17:00 (124978)

how did this happen will it get better please anwer this thank you bongony

annie b on 7/22/03 at 17:09 (124979)

What sort of a question is that? I hurt it skateboarding the other night. It is swollen and black and blue now. I have it wrapped but I think I may have torn a ligament. Will that heal on it's own, or is surgery involoved? Also, is it feasible to think that I could still train for the marathon in March?

SteveG on 7/22/03 at 20:03 (124989)

Indeed - what sort of question is that? I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you need to see one. The treatment plan will depend on the extent of the damage. Have you seen your family GP? If so, what sort of tests did he do or schedule?

annie b on 7/23/03 at 08:34 (125027)

Well, I did go to the doctor and had it x-rayed. So I know nothing in broken or fractured. It's definitely not a bone injury. She said that I may have torn a ligament, and that I needed to stay off it and that it would take 2 to 4 weeks to heal. But reading about torn ligaments, it sounds like I'd need surgery. Is that true? My doctor didn't mention it, but then, she wasn't even sure that it was that anyway. Either way, the swelling is still awful and my whole foot is black and blue.

Any advice? What about the marathon in March? Do you think I still have a shot there?

Steve G on 7/23/03 at 10:11 (125031)

Annie - You will have to wait for a few weeks to see how well you heal. Take care of it and ice it consistently to bring down the swelling. Whether you will need surgery depends on the extent of the damage. If you don't do well in a few weeks, she will most likely order an MRI to see the extent of the damage. March is a long way off, you might be able to run, but, as I say, the next month or so will give you a good idea of the prognosis.

annie b on 7/23/03 at 10:18 (125033)

Steve,

Thanks so much for your help and advice. I havn't been icing it as I should. I guess time is the thing I need most now, ey? I do hope I can run in March.

Thanks again,
Annie