Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercising after TTS surgery

Posted by LORRAINE A. on 7/22/03 at 12:29 (124964)

I had TTS surgery last August. I am now trying to exercise and lose weight. I am doing fairly well, except when I set the treadmill for more than a 5% grade. My foot is swelling badly, although that has a lot to do with my weight. Can anybody out there give me some advise on exercising. I have lost 37 inches so far but am still 230lbs. I know that I need to lose the weight in order for my foot to realistically get any better.

Re: Exercising after TTS surgery

Lee L on 7/22/03 at 15:50 (124976)

Try water exrecise. I am an aquatics exercise instructor. You can workout just as hard in the water and even break a sweat (but you won't mind). The water offers resistence that land exercise doesn't, yet it is low impact. It has been proven to be good for improving bone density as well as muscle strength using the proper equipment. An added benefit of the water is that it helps in the reduction of swelling. The coolness of the water (it is usually below your body temperature - ours is 86 degrees) as well as the hydrostatic pressure (being surrounded by water) reduces swelling. It also helps in reducing blood pressure. You don't have to be able to swim to participate. You can find these classes by contacting your nearest YMCA or a fitness facility that has a pool. Some schools also provide these programs to the communiy in their pools in the evening. Good luck.

lauriel on 7/22/03 at 18:14 (124983)

Lorraine, I agree with Lee, and try water excercises or maybe a recumbant bike I have read some bad things on this board about treadmills and how they make things worse, I am doing water excercises and it has really helped ( I am almost 8 mos post TTS surgery)
Laurie

diana on 7/22/03 at 23:46 (125012)

Water exercise makes mine worse. diana

Re: dr today again

stella on 7/23/03 at 22:22 (125105)

Well the uniboot came off today and my swelling has came down a lot. Doctor told me to use a ankle thing and that was way too snug. So i had to order a compression sock type thing it was so tight i had to get a size bigger. And then im gonna try the walkin boot i use to have. But he still says to take easy and no walking a lot keep elevated. So that is what i am gonna do. I got back on vicodin instead of codeine so ill see if that helps. Still in pain but the swelling is controlled. I go back in 3 weeks so we will see. No word still on exercising and that. But i bought a little foot massager tonight thought it couldnt hurt bye

Sharon W on 7/23/03 at 23:13 (125114)

Stella,

I'm really glad to hear that the swelling has gone down, and that the doctor suggested compression socks -- that may help. At least your doctor seems to be taking this seriously and trying to help!

Sharon
:)

stella on 7/24/03 at 10:48 (125135)

ya i just cant walk still my heel is so numb it hurts to put any pressure on it. And i dont go back til aug 18th. I am still not back to work cause i cant stand longer then 5 mins. I need some money ha ha ...

Sharon W on 7/25/03 at 10:51 (125221)

Stella,

I feel for you, I really do... Wish I had a way to help. I know what a numb heel is like; it's no fun at all.

To tell you the truth, I STILL can't stand for very long at all. I can walk, and I can sit, but standing is the WORST. It just makes everything hurt, right away... I still make my hubby go through checkout lines for me, or wait in ticket lines, while I just pace around, waiting for him to be done. I'm just so lucky to have a husband who is so patient with me when it comes to these things!!

Sharon

stella on 7/25/03 at 16:54 (125240)

Yes and i feel bad because i dont have any money i just barely made rent again. But i hope i get somethig settled with my workermans comp case. I cant stand at all i stil have the wheelchair 2 months later. I have been icing it down and im waiting for those compression socks i ordered. The one was just way too tight and i cant believe how the nurse tried to jam it on me ha ha .. Real nice

BevN. on 7/26/03 at 12:15 (125283)

stella,

How is your workmans comp case going? What is happening with it now ? Is your employer giving you any $$ at all to help you out ? I am so sorry for your problems. I am not working anymore either due to my PF, however my husbands insurance is helping with the medical bills , thank goodness. I wish you were near so we could help you out , I feel so worried for you :-s Please keep in touch, okay :-/ Bev

stella on 7/26/03 at 16:32 (125298)

No they arent helping me out at all they just terminated me cause i have been out for over 12 weeks its so bad here. I am just waiting for the dr to mail the letter so i can give itto my lawyer. Lucky you to have help with the bills mine are way uppp there. I tried to put surgery off but i have been having problems since last july.

BevN. on 7/27/03 at 11:53 (125345)

stella,
What kind of a letter are you waiting for your doctor for you to give to your lawyer?

STELLA on 7/27/03 at 18:46 (125382)

A documented letter saying that work is affliated with me having the tts. And that is why i couldnt work retail 10 hours a day without a break and all that i believe. I know thats why i got the stress fracture in my heel and then the tts after that. I just hope i get it im still waiting and he said wed he would get on it ha ha . You know how long it takes.