Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have to tell you this because only you guys would understand!

Posted by Kathy G on 7/22/03 at 17:31 (124981)

I have no business being online right now. Lots to do. But I just have to share this with people who will truly understand. I just came back from an appointment with a new gynecologist. I'm at the age that I need to discuss the pros and cons of hormone replacement therapy. Well, she was very nice though I'm not sure she'd be everyone's cup of tea. She's extemely outspoken and opinionated. Nevertheless, I think she knew her stuff. Note that I say 'her stuff.'

When I mentioned I'd had PF for about four years and trouble for four years prior to that due to a neuroma and had trouble exercising, she said, 'Well, if you go to a good podiatrist, you'll be just fine!'

I told her the name of the Pod I've been seeing for eight years and she said, 'And you've had the shots, orthotics, all that stuff?' And I said I had indeed but that my PF was atypical. She kind of looked askance and said, 'Well, you're going to the best around and if he can't help you, probably no one can. We'll just have to deal with the fact you can't exercise!'

See how quicky she was to jump to the conclusion that PF can be easily cured? And she's an extremely respected doctor who was formerly chief of staff at a major hospital. If the medical community takes PF so lightly, how can we expect the layman to understand?

Re: I have to tell you this because only you guys would understand!

Sharon W on 7/22/03 at 17:45 (124982)

Kathy,

Boy can I relate to that!! Most of the medical community is quite ignorant when it comes to feet... In fact, your gynecologist was actually open-minded, compared to some, if she suggested a PODIATRIST! I remember my PCP being quite shocked, when I showed her my research proving that TTS surgery is NOT almost a sure cure for the problem! And she was actually very knowledgable about feet, compared with most primary care doctors, because her mother has chronic PF. She recommended me to my pod, who I was happy with.

Sharon
:D

CarolAnn B. on 7/22/03 at 19:36 (124988)

Amen!
CarolAnn

Carole C in NOLA on 7/22/03 at 20:28 (124993)

I would imagine that a lot of cases of PF really ARE easily cured, and fall more in the realm of 'sore feet' than the type of debilitating problem that most of us have to deal with. Some of the doctors said those of us with chronic problems are atypical cases, as you pointed out to your doctor.

There really should be another name for what we have, to distinguish us from the person with a slight twinge that goes away after a week of rest. But if they called it something equal to what it really feels like, like 'Catastrophic foot-ankle-leg crippling syndrome' we'd all be so scared we would give up on life! Yikes, now I've even scared myself. LOL

Carole C

Pam S. on 7/22/03 at 21:35 (124999)

Kathy:
I am never surprised anymore at anything. I guess we have heard it all. BUT no doubt about it, feet are not a popular topic for many.

If you get time, I am so curious what this dr. suggested for you concerning HRT. Now there is a controversial topic for sure. Hope your summer is going well. Warmly, Pam

Suzanne D on 7/22/03 at 23:03 (125010)

We sure DO understand, Kathy! Unfortunately it seems to be an all too common occurence for PF to be misunderstood and taken lightly. Everyone's had sore feet, so they just figure we're making a big deal out of sore feet. Even many doctors like the one you described don't seem to know a great deal about PF. For it to be the most common foot ailment, it doesn't seem to be widely understood!

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Richard, C.Ped on 7/23/03 at 08:09 (125024)

That happens quite often Kathy. When meeting with either family practice or OB docs, the feet is really the furthest thing from their mind (thats a saying of mine when describing how we do not think about our feet until they hurt..:-P). Family practice docs spend very little time learing about feet in school.

Example: My wife has bunions. While seeing the doc for a check up, my wife mentions that she wears orthotics for her bunions (helping me market..what a great woman!!!!). The docs said, 'Why do you need those? Just go to a DPM and have them shaved off'. Holy cow!!! My wife proceded to explain to her how the orthosis will off load the first MTP joint...and so on.

Also, there is SOOOOO much misinformation out there about how to deal with foot pain...it makes me sick, but it keeps me on my toes by constantly learing so I can show how other treatments (by the fly by night companies) do not work.
Richard

Aly on 7/23/03 at 08:28 (125026)

Ha! 'Catastrophic foot-ankle-leg crippling syndrome' - I will have to use that the next time someone asks me what's wrong with my feet!! :)

john h on 7/23/03 at 11:06 (125035)

Carole: How about 'My feet hurt like hell, my wife, boss, and friends do not care or want to hear about it syndrome'..:.

Kathy G on 7/23/03 at 13:56 (125052)

So, was there a pun intended, the fact that it 'keeps you on your toes'? If not, you should say you said it on purpose!

Kathy G on 7/23/03 at 18:53 (125082)

No, I think Carole has it right. From now on, when people ask me why I am sitting down or wearing running shoes with my dress, I'll just tell them it's 'Catastrophic foot-ankle-leg crippling syndrome.' The only problem is that I had to cut and paste it to remember it so I'll have to write it on my hand or something. It's a much more descriptive term than PF.

Good job, Carole!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/03 at 20:03 (125091)

CFALCS for short! LOL They would probably be a LOT more sympathetic. :)

('Catastrophic Foot-Ankle-Leg Crippling Syndrome')

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/03 at 20:03 (125092)

Well that's sure honest, John! :)

Carole C