Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Working out...

Posted by CarolAnn B. on 7/22/03 at 19:34 (124987)

Hi there...
Does anyone know aboout working out and aggravating the area? What works for you I know may not work for me... I have been going to the gym which also features a 'curves' type work out area. Iwas doing the machines for a while and not the aerobic step and it was aggravated either way so I said forget this- I may as well do the step! SOmetimes I work out with my husband in the gym area and have tried to consentrate on my upper body and then do some on the bike which doesn't seem to bother too much. I would love to walk more but I know I get that in. I bought a pedometer and I walk approx 2- 2.5 miles a day just at work. If I don't do enough cardio, I won't burn as many calories and besides my muscles will begin to look like a guy! I don't want that either! I suppose I want my cake and eat it too...hmmm I'm hungry...maybe it's time for some junk food and be a couch potato...even if it is for 15 mins!
Thanks for the input you guys!
CarolAnn

Re: Working out...

R C on 7/22/03 at 20:10 (124992)

The things that work for me are (in order of strongest recommendation):

Swimming

Stationary Bike

Dumbbells

Avoid anything that is weight-bearing, or that otherwise puts a strain on the injured foot.

john h on 7/23/03 at 11:10 (125036)

i highly recommend deep fried twinkies. Since I am a sucker for infomercials I just bought the Ronco cooker you see on TV all the time 'set it and forget it'. I will let you know how my first chicken and roast beef turn out. It had better look just like Ron's does on tv.

Cyndi T. on 7/23/03 at 11:28 (125039)

You won't look like a guy if you switch to light weights on the machines and do alot of reps instead. That way you'd be combining cardio and weight training in one. I have found tht this works if the gym is not crowded and others are not waiting to use the machines.

Re: looking like a guy

R C on 7/23/03 at 14:34 (125055)

I've heard it said that it is extremely difficult for women to achieve the muscular bulk that would make them 'look like a guy', the main reason being that women do not have the requisite testosterone levels. (In fact, it takes quite a lot of very hard work for most men to add more than a modest amount of muscle.) So, unless you pump iron like a maniac or use steroids, don't worry about it. You'll look great.

As to roasting a chicken, I recommend the approach I saw once on TV. Brine the bird overnight (refrigerated) in a saturated solution of water, salt, brown sugar, and seasonings (lemon zest, peppercorns, thyme, for instance). A roasting bag works well for this. Rinse briefly and dry well. Coat with butter or olive oil. Stuff cavity with herbs, lemon and onion wedges. Roast at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, reduce to 350 and finish cooking (white meat should reach internal temperature of 161 degrees).

The effect of the brining is profound -- the meat will be noticeably juicier and richer flavored. I think what happens is that the salt makes some kind of chemical change to the collagen, making it withstand higher temperatures before liquefying. Hence the flesh retains more moisture throughout the cooking process.

It works with pork roast, too.

Dorothy on 7/23/03 at 16:38 (125065)

Cooking advice and recipes! Now this website is speaking to me! A good meal can make one's feet feel better, can't it?

Kathy G on 7/23/03 at 18:55 (125084)

Oh definitely, Dorothy! So does anything chocolate, ice cream, cake, strawberry shortcake, beer, pizza. You name it. If it's comfort food, we all need to feel comfortable so we should eat it! That chicken sounds delicious!

CarolAnn B. on 7/23/03 at 19:51 (125087)

RC,
I'm not a big swimmer..and our membership doesn't include a pool but the bike and dumbbells are prob a good idea...
thanks,
CA

CarolAnn B. on 7/23/03 at 19:55 (125088)

Fried twinkies eh? Now that's a great combination...the chicken sounds good but I'm really 'High maintenance' (that's what my old boss used to say about me )when it comes to food. I don't like spices, or very little...and hate catsup, must, onions, relish, pickles...etc etc. I am truely a plain jane when it comes to cooking. I eat very bland. I tell people my dynamic personality makes up for the lousey bland eating! It really is pathetic, but I am not going to change now. I remember once going to McDonalds and ordering a big Mac with just cheese! I couldn't wait for their expression! :)

CarolAnn B. on 7/23/03 at 19:56 (125089)

So Cyndi, the bunch of reps will take the place of cardio? HMMMM...
CA

Dorothy on 7/23/03 at 20:24 (125095)

Have you heard that a very popular item at county/state fairs in the past year or two is Deep Fried Candy Bars??? Apparently, they put a batter on a candy bar then plunge it into a vat of fat and fry it, then sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar and serve it on a stick, similar to a corn dog, another nutritious option.

Suzanne D on 7/23/03 at 22:43 (125109)

I think I'm getting hungry here tonight! I love chicken and about anything fried! (Of course I don't eat everything fried, but it sure does taste good.) When I was in college, I remember getting honeybuns heated on the grill with a little butter melted on them. That's what the fried twinkie made me think of! And chocolate is a real comfort food, of course. Chocolate chip cookies with a tall glass of milk makes me feel better every time!

Suzanne :)

Re: various subjects

R C on 7/24/03 at 09:23 (125127)

Now that you mention it, I did try a deep fried Mars bar at a state fair once. It was mighty tasty, I must say, but I still get chest pains just thinking about it.

With regard to dumbbells and cardio, my understanding is that any physical activity counts as cardio if it gets your heart rate up sufficiently high. I suppose that it could be achieved using dumbbells, but I imagine it is much harder to do since you are usually working the smaller muscle groups. But even if it doesn't rate as cardio, it still burns calories and still contributes to the cumulative healthful benefits of exercise. If you can't run, swim or bike, keeping a pair of dumbbells by your TV remote, and using them, will be considerably better than getting no exercise.