Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron: Better Sooner than Later?

Posted by Bill M. on 7/23/03 at 13:01 (125048)

First of all, thanks so much for the wonderful website and message boards. They are a terrific source of information. I started having troubles with calves, achilles, and feet after running a marathon in 1999. Through physical therapy, massage therapy, orthotics, rest, etc., most problems are under control. However, the plantar fasciitis is bad enough to prevent me from running, skiing, rollerblading for the past 2-3 years. I can do spinning classes or biking IF I wear bike cleats with stiff soles. I have now been authorized for ESWT treatment (on an Ossatron); however, the treatment is 'out-of-network' for my insurance provider at the current time, so I would have to pay a significant portion out of pocket. The management company told me the treatment would become in network 'soon' (i.e. it could be weeks, months, years, who knows?), after which time insurance would pay for most of the expense associated with the treatment. I have seen the suggestion on other threads that Ossatron treatment is more successful for people who have had PF for shorter periods of time. So I am wondering if I should improve my chance of success by going ahead with it now, or if I should wait until it becomes a bit financially easier to deal with. The pain is moderate now, so I could live with it, although not being able to work out has become sooooo depressing and frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Ossatron: Better Sooner than Later?

BrianG on 7/23/03 at 15:50 (125060)

Personally, I think the sooner that you have the ESWT treatment, the better chance you have for healing. The one thing that you have to remember, is to give your feet some rest after the ESWT. If your on your feet a lot, you probably won't have as good a chance to heal. I waited 8-9 years for ESWT, much too long !!!!! Of course others may have better outcomes, after a longer amount of time, I'm just reporting my outcome, and what I've read here.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: You could be waiting for years, as insurance is not exactlly jumping on the bandwagon.

ZaneU on 7/27/03 at 09:44 (125331)

Brian, I'm considering eswt and am in the long term bracket as you were (8-9 years). Did you get any relief from eswt and what machine was used? Thanks.

Zane Ullman
PF 13 years

john h on 7/27/03 at 12:24 (125347)

Zane: I have had 4 ESWT treatments on both feet. Three with the now gone Orby (high energy) and one with the new Epos Ultra high energy. The procedures in my opinion helped reduce the pain to a manageable level but did not cure me. I am still considering a 5th tretatment with the low energy Sonnocur or a follow up with Dr. A in St Louis with the Epos. I would have give the Ossatron a go but the price is just out of reach when you factor in hospital charges. I have had PF bilateral 8-9 years.

BrianG on 7/29/03 at 20:22 (125606)

Hi Zane,

Sorry, no healing for me, yet. I had the Dornier Epos in April, 2002, and again in May of 2003 (this year).

BrianG