Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Comfort food

Posted by R C on 7/25/03 at 08:40 (125194)

On the subject of comfort foods, here's an extreme case: A whole de-boned turkey stuffed with a duck, that has been stuffed by a chicken. To make one yourself, here's a recipe:

http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/turducken.html

Or, you can order one fully assembled from the website

http://www.cajunspecialtymeats.com/main.html

CLick on the link to 'turducken'.

Happy noshing!

Re: Comfort food

Kathy G on 7/25/03 at 09:09 (125201)

How interesting! I've never heard of it! It would be kind of interesting to invite a bunch of vegetarians for dinner and then serve it!

By the way, were I to serve it, I would definitely order it premade! I can't imagine what I would do to myself with a knife in the process of trying to debone three different birds. I get into trouble trying to cut the excess fat off of my chicken breast!

Richard, C.Ped on 7/25/03 at 09:17 (125204)

I saw that on a cooking channel last December. We went to a Christmas party about a week later where it was served. I have to say...it was pretty dog gone good!!!
Richard

Carole C in NOLA on 7/25/03 at 20:55 (125251)

I was hoping that your post was a recipe for chocolate cake or banana cream pie! LOL

I could sure use some comfort food, if only it wouldn't make me fat. Some weeks life just seems to go haywire!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/25/03 at 21:30 (125254)

Yes, Carole, chocolate! ;) That's always a comfort food, isn't it?! Something chocolate and a glass of milk...now that's about as good as it gets! :D

And, yes, some weeks just don't seem to get better as they go, do they? By the way, how are your mother and your brother? I think of them often.

My daughter, who has been gone for 5 weeks to the Governor's Scholars Program, is home tonight! I've been listening to her stories and looking at the 'mug book' of pictures and listening to a CD her music class made. We got up at 4:30 this morning to get to the college for the program which honored the 'graduates'. I'm about ready to call it a day, and I think she will sleep well tonight! She and some of her friends stayed up most of last night talking and reminiscing. It was a good experience for her, and I am now glad to have her home again!

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/25/03 at 22:38 (125258)

You read my mind, Suzanne, but I'm not surprised; if anyone could do that it would be you. Thanks for caring. My mother is doing much worse; she had to have her leg amputated at the knee last week due to age-related circulatory problems. She was doing fine but yesterday she had a big setback, a massive infection, great pain, and other problems, and the doctors are not optimistic. She is back in the hospital now. She is 94 and has had a good, long life. If this is her time, I hope that she does not have to suffer much longer. My brother (the younger, healthy one) is at her bedside in the hospital, and she's very sick and not lucid so there's not much point in my going out there. My other brother is still not well, but he's staying with a friend who can take care of him for the time being.

I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is safely home! I know you have been looking forward to her return. How wonderful that they had a program to honor them, too. She must be in seventh heaven, and you have every right to be proud of your young scholar!

Carole C

Re: with warm thoughts...

Suzanne D on 7/25/03 at 22:55 (125262)

Carole, I will certainly keep your mother in my prayers. [-o< No matter how old someone is and how realistically we can face losing them, it still hurts, and I know this is not an easy time for you. You must feel good about your brother being there as you can find out first-hand about your mother's condition from him.

Take care, and know that warm thoughts and wishes are sent your way! @};-

Carole C in NOLA on 7/26/03 at 09:45 (125273)

My brother sent me an e-mail this morning that says she is surprising everyone by doing better. So, who knows? She might be fighting the odds and might recover. I hope so! Thanks for the warm thoughts and wishes. :) @};-

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/26/03 at 10:04 (125274)

That's good to hear, Carole! Your mother sounds like one who never gives up. I woke up thinking about her this morning and will continue to keep her in my prayers.

Have a good weekend!

BevN. on 7/26/03 at 10:24 (125275)

Carole,

I think of you often, Carole and pray for your mother and brother. I am so sorry to hear how badly she is doing , your brother is there at her side and that is good. We are all here for you and our thoughts and prayers are here for you , Carole. We were out to dinner with friends last night and they were saying that they want to go to New Orleans , LA. some day , and I thought, Oh, I could go there too and visit Carole. Never know, maybe someday we may be able to afford to travel , it would be nice :) You have a nice day. It is dark and raining here today, but that is okay as it has been so beautiful here all week , we needed the rain. Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 7/26/03 at 10:49 (125277)

Thank you, Bev! Mom is feeling a little better today, and is now lucid and even sat up for a short time.

If you ever come to New Orleans, let me know. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 7/27/03 at 10:07 (125332)

Carole,

I must have missed something as I did not know that Bob was doing worse or that your mother was failing. I'm so sorry!

At the age of 94, patients constantly amaze doctors! You have an excellent attitude about her and as you say, if her time has come, the most important thing is for her to be comfortable.

I hope that you have been able to relax a bit this weekend and that you are doing as well as can be expected with the turmoil in your life.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/27/03 at 12:52 (125351)

Thanks for caring, Kathy! I have tried not to post much about them because I feel like all my posts are full of doom and gloom, lately. But I am half crazy with worry about them both. My other brother and I are healthy, thank goodness. We joke to each other that we'd better not fall off a curb this year, or with our family's recent luck, we'd break both legs.

Mom seems to be doing better today, although she is too weak to sit up. At least she is lucid and her pain is lessened. I'm so glad! And her white count is back down. That should help her heal after (leg was amputated just below the knee a week and a half ago or so). The doctors say she can go back to the skilled nursing unit in her assisted living place from the hospital tomorrow, but she is not so sure. She might feel stronger by then, though. Thank goodness my younger (healthy) brother is there this week to help her make that decision and to watch over her.

My other brother who had the stroke is hopeless, in that he just rebels and does not accept help easily. He got in a car accident a week ago due to passing out while driving alone on the interstate (I-95 in Ft. Lauderdale). He came to just before impact, but both cars were badly wrecked. Amazingly, nobody was seriously injured. At least he is staying with his friend this week, so I know he won't forget his pledge to never drive again (at least not this week).

Carole C

marie on 7/27/03 at 16:20 (125364)

Carole,

You and your family are in my prayers. I hope your mother knows what a great daughter she has. I am glad your brother is with her.

marie

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 08:23 (125410)

Oh my goodness, Carole, you are facing some tough family problems. After my grandmother had a stroke, my mother cared for her for five years. One of the things my mother said was that my grandmother, a very gentle and calm person, could become, at the drop of a hat, belligerent and stubborn. Apparently, personality changes or exacerbation of already existing but subdued personality traits, is not unusual in one who has suffered a stroke. It doesn't make it any easier to deal with them but at least it makes it easier to understand their behavior. Thank goodness Bob and the other motorist weren't badly injured.

Glad to hear that your mother is making progress.

Keep us posted. It's not doom and gloom; it's life and we care.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 08:43 (125412)

Bob has always had an assertive and somewhat rebellious (or innovative) personality, and he has never been easily swayed once he formed an opinion. He always reminded me of James Dean back in those days. So you are right, in that his rebelliousness is just becoming accentuated.

Bob is diabetic and has only been on insulin for the past year or so, and my healthy brother (George) suspects that Bob's rebelliousness is extending to what he eats. That could be compounding the problem. Bob says his blood sugar is constantly high and seems to be impossible to control at all. (George is thinking, 'yeah, right! no way', and I'm thinking, 'huh? Impossible? What have you tried?'). Bob plans to get a referral from his general practicioner to an endocrinologist to investigate this mystery. So, we'll see.

Mom is feeling stronger and sat up in her wheelchair for an hour yesterday before she got too tired and had to go back to bed. The doctor has transferred her from IV to oral antibiotics now. She is scheduled to be released from the hospital today. Antibiotics are so marvelous! On Friday she was on deaths door, and now she is even sitting up, eating, and talking. :)

And as for me, I have a mild stomach flu today, so I decided to stay home from work and 'de-stress' a little.

Carole C

john h on 7/28/03 at 08:55 (125417)

On TV yesterday they showed a lady who is 111 years old. She is being taken care of by her daughter at home. Her daughter is 89 and the only medication she has ever taken is tylenol. She said she enjoyed taking care of 'mama'. They live in Little Rock.

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 08:59 (125418)

Carole,

I'm sorry to hear you have a bug today. Stay cuddled-up and a cup of tea and a good nap and hopefully you will feel better. All of this stress with your mother and brother has stressed your body out and now it needs a resting period :) Stress has it's way of wearing us down and telling us to rest , so you take it easy today and watch a good movie and say 'hi' to us friends here when you are feeling better. okay :) Have a restful day :) Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 09:16 (125421)

I think you have really put your finger on it, Bev. If I just relax and 'de-stress', I think my stomach bug will probably take care of itself. Knowing that my yesterday my Mom was able to sit up and converse, at least for a little while, is sure helping.

Thanks for caring! :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 09:32 (125423)

If I were that 89 year old, I'd be wondering what would happen to 'mama' if I passed on! They must be a pretty independent family. That is neat to hear about.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/28/03 at 10:28 (125431)

Yes, Carole, take care today; pamper yourself and rest. You've had a lot on you lately. It's good to hear the news of your mother's improvement!

Dorothy on 7/28/03 at 11:12 (125436)

I would love to know more about such people. I wish we could know their entire health and behavior history!