Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video


Posted by Mike M on 7/25/03 at 22:38 (125259)

Hello, I fell in Jan. 2003 and damaged my knee. I limped until 5-8-03 when I had my arthroscopic surgery. After mt surgery I limped even more. I have complained to my dr. that my toes go numb and the numbness gets worse when I am up standing or walking. The Dr. ordered an EMG which showed that I have Tarsal tunnel Syndrome. Could the limping cause TTS? If so how could I prove it?

The Reason I ask is that it is a workers comp case and the dr. said it wasnt from the surgery and now the WC insurance wont cover treatment for it. I do not know how I developed the TTS other than the 6 months+ that I have been limping.

Please help me out if you can.


lara on 7/26/03 at 12:15 (125284)

I'm curious how they diagnosed TTS from an EMG? I think the best test (which has few false positives but many false negatives)is the NCV(nerve conduction velocity) test. If someone is diagnosing TTS from an EMG test, I'm suspicious of their knowledge of TTS, but maybe I don't understand certain things and welcome being corrected by the doctors (or others who know).

Since being on these boards I've not heard of limping as causing TTS, but there are a lot of cases that are of unknown origin so I guess it might be a cause, or contributing factor.

Given that you have to deal with WC, getting the proper diagnosis may be critical. I'd get a second opinion from someone (either podiatrist or orthopod) who knows sports injuries to the feet - not because this is a sports injury, but because it sounds like it is caused from unusual use patterns, rather than aging or chronic illness which is more commonly treated by those working with the feet. Just because a doctor knows knee surgery (and may be excellent) doesn't mean s/he knows feet. There are orthopods who specialize in knees and others who specialize in feet/ankle, and others who know both, or neither and specialize somewhere else.

Good luck.


john K on 7/26/03 at 14:35 (125290)

Since you are dealing with worker's compensation do you have a lawyer? If you don't have one you should get one to protect your rights. WC lawyers have hosts of doctors they can refer you to in order to support your claim for treatment for your TTS.