Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I have an injection?? I'm scared!!

Posted by athena on 7/26/03 at 01:52 (125263)

Hi everyone,

A sports doctor which I recently went to see recommended injections into the heel for my PF. She's given me oral anti-inflammatory pills to take to reduce the soreness (because its quite sore to touch) before she injects.

But after reading the information on this website on injections, however, I'm really scared! Is it possible that it will cause permenant damage or make things worse?

What have people's experiences of injections been?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice that anyone has!!

- Athena

Re: Should I have an injection?? I'm scared!!

wanda j on 7/26/03 at 10:40 (125276)

I had injections a few years back and they helped a lot, unfortunately, he pain is back , but for a few years it did help

SteveG on 7/26/03 at 11:05 (125278)

Athena - don't be concerned. I have a had the shots, like most of the people on this board. It was pretty painless, and the chance of one shot causing problems is pretty remote. They recommend that you don't have more than 3 a year, since this can lead to problems.

rose on 7/26/03 at 13:28 (125289)

Normally they are ok, but I had a reaction and became sick with a fever and rash and flushing for several days. I cannot have another shot ever now. So there is a very slim chance of a reaction.

R C on 7/26/03 at 18:13 (125305)

I had two cortisone shots, neither of which accomplished anything.

Of greater concern to me is the fact that cortisone may mask the pain, but does not address the underlying biomechanics that led to the PF in the first place. I would opt for cortisone only if the pain is so severe that it interferes with sleep or other vital activity. It is not going to cure ther problem.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/03 at 17:29 (125374)

All four posters gave accurate responses but I would like to place them in some perspective. Some docs give painful cortisone shots and others do not. The injections can act as a powerful anti-inflammatory breaking the cycle of pain and helping to decrease scar tissue in the area. They are ALMOST NEVER a stand alone treatment but should be used judiciously in conjunction wiith a comprehensive treatment program -- biomechanical control via orthotics, attention to shoegear, relief of any tightness in the gastrocsoleus-achilles complex, activity modification need be used in conjunction.

Jan H. on 7/27/03 at 17:41 (125377)

Those shots are like a tool. They help some people and not others. For me, I have had a grand total of 17 shots. They helped very much at first, but the time between shots became shorter and shorter until the last few didn't help at all. I finally went for the surgery-still hurts though. Blessings,

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 08:51 (125415)

I've never had a cortisone shot for my PF but had several for my Neuroma. I found, as Jan did, that they helped a great deal in the beginning but as time went on, their effectiveness lessened. Finally, my Pod thought it wasn't a good idea to get them anymore as they weren't helping much.

DeAnn on 7/28/03 at 14:05 (125448)

Like the post from Ed states, it depends on the doctor giving them!
I've had 3 shots, 2 at one time because the shot for some reason on the 1st area was not accurately positioned. I promise I did not move and it was excrusiatingly painful. This happened on the 2nd occasion. I have no desire to do that again. Although I have to admit I've been tempted. I only benefited for about 6-8 weeks both times.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/03 at 09:45 (125531)

Seventeen shots is an unusually large number. Were they all in the same foot, same area?

Judy R. on 8/01/03 at 10:58 (125882)

Hi Ed..I know exactly how you feel!!! I had several women I play golf with who have had PF say the shot was worse than having a baby! So..when my Pod said, you need a cortisone shot, he almost had to pull me off the ceiling. He absolutely assured me it would not hurt and I asked him to let me call my hubby from the waiting room so I could hold his hand and look pitiful..he came in the room with me (for comfort and protection) and the dr. proceeded to give me a shot. He 'froze' my foot with some kind of spray and while my eyes were clinched so tight I wrinkled my contactlens, he gave me the shot. I keep waiting for excutiating pain...BUT IT NEVER CAME! The shot was over before I knew it and after a warm foot bath, he sent me on my way. That evenng, my foot was sore...but the next morning the pain was gone!! However...bad news...it didn't last that long with being completely pain free. For the next couple of weeks I concentrated strongly on stretching, ice and rolling my foot on a can of tomatoe soup while sitting at the computer (I have been on here a lot for the last couple of months).

This week I am finally able to get out and golf - 18 holes on Monday and 9 holes on Tues and will play 9 holes this afternoon. By the way, he taped my foot 2 weeks ago and this has really helped. THERE IS HOPE...HANG IN THERE AND IF YOU NEED THE SHOT, GET IT.

Write to me if you want to and let me know how you are doing..

john h on 8/01/03 at 12:58 (125897)

What I want to know Judy is do you slice or hook?

Elaine on 8/10/03 at 16:47 (126694)

I would highly recommend the injections. The first time that I had them I had no side effects and they lasted at least two years. Mine has recently flared up again and I had the injections about two weeks ago. Again, so far so good. But I did find that this time I've had to take it easy longer and use ice packs longer. Getting old I guess.