Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM w/ Glucosamine

Posted by lara on 7/27/03 at 10:56 (125334)

I just read a post on a court-reporting message board (court reporters are vulnerable to CTS.) Someone recently posted that after trying wrist braces for sleep, and instead of going for surgery for radialneuropathy, she tried MSM with Glucosamine on the recommendation of a friend with arthritis. She said it was WONDERFUL, and had the approval (or at least not the disapproval) of her pharmacist, and she is back to reporting without pain.

She also mentioned P-K-5 instead of more commonly known pain rubs.

If it works for CTS, seems to me it should work for TTS. Anyone know anything?

Re: MSM w/ Glucosamine

Sharon W on 7/28/03 at 14:17 (125450)

This doesn't mention MSM, but it's good news about glucosamine (even thought way too many 'expert' doctors DO seem to just automatically assume that supplements of any kind are worthless...)

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 19:08 (125484)

I've been taking Glucosamine, (1500 mg) w/chondroitin (1200mg) twice a day for the last three years. It did seem to help a pain I had in my neck. Whether it's helping my PF is hard to say. And my osteoarthritis is terrible. But I keep thinking maybe it would have gotten worse much faster without the Gluco. Who knows?

Orthopedic surgeons in this area are recommending it. One friend who had a ruptured disk had it recommended by his surgeon. Another friend with cartilidge (sp?) damage in her knee was told by a different surgeon to take it so I think it's becoming mainstream.

Has anyone ever heard it can lead to a rise in cholesterol levels? I only read one study that said that but since that time, I hesitate to take a third one. I did today, though, having read this and thought of it. My hand hurts so much, I'll chance it. The worst that can happen is that they'll up my Lipitor.

Dorothy on 7/29/03 at 11:33 (125547)

I haven't read anything about its effect on cholesterol levels, but there were some reports that it could/did effect blood sugar and, therefore, could be of concern to people with diabetes. I think that is still not confirmed, but am not entirely certain.
The studies that were reported - I think just last year- showed that it is best/most effective for KNEE cartilage problems. Whether that means that it is not effective for other areas of the body, I don't know, but the knee was clearly helped. Also, it only works if there is still enough cartilage intact in the joint; if cartilage is completely destroyed, glucosomine-chondroitin won't help at all.
Finally, I also read that one or the other is the effective one and that taking both is not necessary, because one of them really doesn't do anything. Now I realize that what I just wrote is not at all helpful - but I don't remember off the top of my head what the details were and which one was the effective one. I do not intend to mislead or confuse but only to cause someone to go looking for the correct information!
I can't do that right now but maybe someone else knows or can find it.
I take the stuff and usually take it in the combination that was originally recommended. Does it help? I don't know. I am somewhat uncomfortable taking something based on what might be considered superstitious behavior, but I also want to take it while I have good cartilage IF it does prove to be a truly beneficial practice.
Oh, brother - I would like to not even have to THINK about things like cartilage, outside of a science class - but so it goes...

Kathy G on 7/30/03 at 09:37 (125635)

I'm with you, Dorothy. I think it helps but I'm not sure. But since so many traditional doctors are recommending it and have been for quite some time, I believe (and hope) that any negative long-term effects would have been documented by now.

One can only do what one thinks is best. It gets very compliated sometimes, doesn't it?