Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP! Reinjured after stretching

Posted by Karin on 7/27/03 at 13:07 (125352)

I need advice please. I am really in a state of panic here, I had my 2nd eswt/osatron 7 months ago and was doing really good. I have been in physical therapy for my lower back pain and the pt has me doing stretches for my hamstring. I must have stretched too deep and now my feet are hurting with that all-too-familiar pain. I initially waited a day, then did an alternate heat/ice/heat 2 x first day. Then just ice 20 minutes 2x today. The pain is a little tiny bit better, but I could not sleep good last night due to the pain. I haven't even walked my 2mile walk in 2 days because of the fear.

Today, I will hold my breath and walk. I need input on the best way to handle this. Could this be the PF back again or did the stretch just cause some unrelated pain? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING! Should I stop stretching period? I did still have a small amount of morning pain prior to Thursday when this happened, so I was doing some light stretching with no problem. I just want to cry, any input appreciated! Thanks, Karin

Re: HELP! Reinjured after stretching

Dr. Z on 7/27/03 at 13:34 (125355)

You need to find the cause. Call you ESWT doctor tommorrow and see him.
Strange why hamstring stretching would cause foot pain. How do you do the stretching.

Karin on 7/27/03 at 15:23 (125356)

I did this stretching by lying on the floor and making an L shape, if you will, with my leg going up the door casing, straightening the leg as much as possible and the foot pulled toward me. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but the PT said to stretch the foot toward me for a deeper stretch. I was not using any additional tools, just my own body, to pull the foot in a similar fashion as with a towel. The idea is not to stretch the foot so much as the hamstring, I guess I passed the threshold. Do you have any idea what could be going on? Do you think I should keep icing?

Unfortunately, my ESWT doctor has already discharged me and he is in a town 1 and a half hours away. I'm sure I could get in with him later this week. I do not have a strong comfort level with his PF/ESWT knowledge. He had only done 3 other patients when he did mine. He only started doing ESWT in Jan./02. Should I go back to him anyway or try to get in with a new doctor in my city (would take about 2 weeks to get in). You see, when I got this treatment, none of the doctors in my large city were able to get approval from Osatron to get machines in our city. So, I called Osatron to find out where they had machines and found this doctor and he was great at helping me get approved for the treatments. It is a real trial to drive 3 hours to see him. Since then, EWST has become available in our city, not sure which machine. Thanks, Karin

Dr. Z on 7/27/03 at 15:53 (125357)

It does sound like you may have injured one of the plantar fascia bands. Hard to believe but possible. Is the areas black and blue, any swelling?
I like to ice only for the first twenty four hours after any injury then I use heat so long as it does cause more pain.
Try taping the foot. Use Scott Roberts picture or go to the drug store and use an ankle support.
I would see any podiatrist as fast as you can get an appointment this week

Karin on 7/27/03 at 16:02 (125359)

There is no black or blue or swelling. I'll definitely tape, I know it well. I'll make an appt. tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help and I'll let you know later in the week how it's going! Karin

Dr. Z on 7/27/03 at 19:05 (125385)

Great. Good luck

Karin on 7/28/03 at 12:39 (125445)

Dr. Z,

Could I get your opinion on which machine would be the best for ESWT,
I may have the option of Osatron or Sonocur. Which one do you think gives the best results? Thanks, Karin

Dr. Z on 7/28/03 at 14:19 (125451)

The ossatron is FDA approved for plantar fasciitis and the Soncur isn't.
Both have resolved heel pain in many patients. There are no comparisons between the two machine with regard to results. Only the dornier and the ossatron have studies that compare the two machines. The dornier showed better results then the ossatron. The ossatron is a high energy one session treatment and the soncur is three low energy treatments. So which is better is a very good question, with no real answer. You will need to go into a surgical center with the ossatron which needs IV sedation for patient comfort.
I really didn't answer the question. Do you mind IV sedation. Do you want to go for three treatments? These are some of the questions to ask yourself.

Peter R on 7/28/03 at 17:22 (125473)

Dornier Epos Ultra is the best choice. No sedation, only a local block, real time ultrasound imaging, highest range of energy levels, precise tageting of ROI. Doctors, patient and techs do not need hearing protection as with the Ossatron. As far as I'm concerned the choice is clear.