Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ronco Rotesserie

Posted by john h on 7/27/03 at 17:10 (125369)

My first chicken is about 5 minutes awary from coming off my new Ronco Showtimme Rotesserie. It looks just like they do on TV. If it taste half as good as it looks it will be awsome. I will try a prime rib or salamon next.

Re: Ronco Rotesserie

marie on 7/27/03 at 17:38 (125376)

Sounds yummy!!!!!

BrianG on 7/27/03 at 21:32 (125394)

Salmon? I'm on my way down right now. I'll bring some venison to try out also, Yum :)

How was it, nice and juicy?

Carole C in NOLA on 7/27/03 at 22:28 (125397)

I'll take the prime rib off your hands once it's done so that there's room for Brian's venison. I hate venison, but I do like a good, well done prime rib.

Salmon is fantastic too, but right now I am in the mood for prime rib! I'll bring the wine. Do you believe that I bought a liter bottle of wine yesterday, after not drinking since 12/31/99 ? I thought it might help me get to sleep since I have been insomniac lately. Of course it was Inglenook white zinfandel; what else would an indecisive non-drinker buy? LOL I drank a glass at 1:30 AM last night, and was sound asleep by 2:00 AM. Success! Or was it? Oddly, I was wide awake by 6:00 AM so maybe my body is trying to tell me that I just don't NEED eight hours any more no matter what I think.

I want a Ronco Rotisserie! It looks like a wonderful thing to have.

Carole C

john h on 7/28/03 at 09:09 (125420)

My first chicken off the Ronco tasted just like it looked (great) and the clean up was a piece of cake. No spatter. Into the dishwaser went the drip pan and the spit the chicken fit on. A five lb chicken cooked in approximately 1 hour.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 09:30 (125422)

That sounds terrific! I'm all for rotisserie parts that will withstand the dishwasher. Now, you need to go shopping for that prime rib. :)

(And now, a eulogy for my old Farberware electric grill/rotisserie.) I used to use it at least three times a week for 20 years. I didn't get the Farberware in my divorce, and now I wish that I had because they are no longer made. A good electric grill with parts that go in the dishwasher, like the Farberware, seems hard to find.

Although now I would have no use for a rotisserie, at the time I had a family to cook for and I did hams, roasts, chickens, ducks, and even the Thanksgiving turkey on our Farberware rotisserie. We usually got a nine pound turkey, but I believe it would take up to 12 pounds.

An hour for a five pound chicken is not bad at all. :)

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 7/28/03 at 09:38 (125425)

I have seen the infomercials about that...I have always wondered if it was any good. The food sure looks good.
Richard

Suzanne D on 7/28/03 at 10:17 (125427)

You all are making me hungry! Glad your rotesserie proved to be such a success, John!

Suzanne :)

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 11:44 (125440)

john h,

Watch out john, they will have you on those inframmercials next :)

Keep up the good work and you will have us all convinced to go out and buy one. Will you give us lessons on cooking when we get ours ;) We will have to start up a new cooking board for you and your Ronco , I am drooling already =P~

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 11:55 (125442)

Carole,

We still have this little Farberware electric grill that we got as a wedding gift, and we would take it traveling with us and put it in the little cheap motel rooms , on the desk (under the sign that said 'no cooking in this room') and cook our meals . We could not afford to eat out in those days so we used that for many years when we traveled anywhere.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 12:02 (125443)

I think they are great. We got ours as a wedding gift too. Ours had a grilling surface of about 10' x 16', and you could just lift off the grill and attach the rotisserie parts, and the same heating element was used for the rotisserie. Everything but the heating element and the rotisserie motor would go in the dishwasher.

Since they aren't made any more, my daughter bought one on e-bay. I might eventually do the same. The weak point in ours was the heating element; I suppose we went through 2-3 heating elements in 20 years, and two rotisserie motors. Replacement parts are probably impossible to find now, and I suppose a used one could have a heating element that was about to go.

Carole C

john h on 7/28/03 at 14:42 (125454)

Ummmm Ummmm was that chicken good. Only problem was I ate about twice as much chicken as I normally eat. I need one of those Ronco approns Ron wears and I will throw a Ronco Party (sort of like a tupperwear party). They must have about 5 or 6 different sizes now. I bought one that only handles a 6 lb chicken or roast. Of course buying the rotessire is just the start as Ron has an infinite number of attachments, herbs, spices, tapes, cook books, etc you can buy. The most troubling part is learning how to best tie the chicken to keep it's wings and legs from flapping.I did not look on ebay but I bet you will find them there just like Oreck Vacume Cleaners.

john h on 7/28/03 at 14:46 (125455)

DARN!!!! I just looked on ebay and saw factory reconditioned Ronco Rotesserie with all the attachments for $41.00. Only 36 minutes left in auction so I guess it will go for under $50.00

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 15:01 (125459)

John, my ex used to tie the chickens up for me. I never did learn how to do it, but I watched a lot. It looked to me, like you just cut off a whole lot of string, and then keep tying up its wings and legs and winding the string around, and keep tying knots until it screams 'Uncle!'

Then it's tied thoroughly enough.

Don't worry about the one for $41 on e-bay. It was probably used to rotisserize nutria or something. Ick! If you don't know what nutria are, they are giant awful rodents that live in the swamps down here in vast numbers. Imagine a huge mutant garbage eating cross between a wharf-rat and a possum; that's a nutria. You can get $4/tail from the state for every one that you kill south of I-10. SOME people eat nutria, but nobody that's ever seen indoor plumbing. You really you wouldn't want something that filthy and disgusting on your Ronco, even if you ran it through the dishwasher to sanitize it. You could have nightmares. You are better off with a nice, clean, new Ronco. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 7/28/03 at 15:47 (125464)

Nutria are one of the many non-native invasive species of animals or plants that have contributed to serious environmental problems. Scientists who study the very serious damage done to the Mississippi delta region count nutria as one of the factors affecting the area.
The list grows longer and the consequences grow more serious of these invasive species' impact on the magnificent geography that is the U.S.
So, put nutria on rotisseries, on car racks, on plaques on panelled walls - but get them out of the delta and out of the U.S.
And while we're at it, let's send West Nile virus, gypsy moths, starlings,zebra mussels, lamprey eels (Oh VERY VERY HORRIFYING CREATURE!) etc etc etc etc etc away, too. There is much work to do; let's get our feet healthy so we can begin.

Dorothy on 7/28/03 at 15:51 (125465)

I wonder who was the motel guest who followed your stay in a motel and wondered why they kept smelling burgers! ?Bacon? Grilled cheese?
Grilled peanut butter & jelly?

It is best not to think too much about what goes on in motel rooms.
Let's go back to thinking about nutria and lamprey eels.

Re: No kiddin' :)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 16:22 (125469)

Sure, let's put them on the rotisserie! Pass the potato chips. LOL

We could collect the $4/tail, eat them, and know that we are righteously decimating a pest. Because really, that's why the good state of Louisiana offers hunters $4 per nutria tail.... because they have become quite a pest for us here.

Of course you are correct that like many pests, they are not native. When I lived in Hawaii, it was the mongoose, and here it's the nutria.

Personally, I'd rather have prime rib, done on John's virgin rotisserie that has never seen the likes of nutria on it. Or near it. (!)

Carole C

Re: Nutria cuisine

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 16:35 (125471)

I forgot to mention that nutria are webfooted rodents that range up to 3 feet long and 35 pounds, so the larger ones would be too big for a rotisserie. Wouldn't want to break it!

The state of Louisiana is promoting eating them, and has actually put out a nutria cookbook. Talk about disgusting.

I know a few people who have tasted nutria, but the only people I know who have actually EATEN nutria on a reasonably frequent basis live out in the bayous and nearly have webbed feet themselves.

I have gladly eaten eel, snake, octopus, squid, and more, but the idea of eating a 3 foot long webfooted orange-toothed swamp rat is where I put my foot down!

Carole C

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 16:48 (125472)

Carole C,

I think I just changed my mind about wanting to visit NOLA , those rodents sound awful :o

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 18:01 (125475)

:)) They are more common out in the bayous than here in New Orleans.

The New Orleans metro area is criss-crossed with very large open canals which are part of our drainage system. The nearest one to me is about 20 feet deep and I guess a little wider than that. The canals, along with big levees and gigantic pumps, keep the water out even though we are below sea level here. My house is 2.4 feet below sea level, for example.

When I bought my house here about a year ago, proximity to a canal was one thing I very definitely considered. Although the canals are pretty and picturesque, a house right on the canal has the disadvantage of also being close to nutria, wharf rats, and snake infestations. So, I got a house three blocks from the nearest canal and I don't have any strange canal animals in my yard.

Carole C

Re: Question for Carole but let's hear more about those Nutria's!

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 18:53 (125481)

Carole,

Due to all the water around NO, do they spray for mosquitoes? I remember when I was little and still lived in a suburb in MA and they used to come around and spray DDT on the trees. My mother made me come in and she closed all the windows and I couldn't go outside to play for several hours. I thought she was so mean because all my friends got to be outside watching the trucks spraying. Little did I know how wise she was!

Anyhow, I just wondered if the city sprays something, obviously not DDT. Does everyone have a Mosquito Deleto?

As for Nutria's -- they sound just horrible. But I'll bet they taste like chicken!!

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 18:54 (125482)

My husband loves gadgets. I caught him watching one of those Ronco informercials and I fear it will be our next handy-dandy gadget, so I'm glad to hear they really do work.

I shouldn't complain. He could be watching the Playboy channel or something!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 21:11 (125507)

Yes, they spray regularly for mosquitos here, especially because we have had dead birds in my neighborhood with West Nile. Every now and then I can hear the truck, but it's always at times when I'm not likely to be outside, like after dark or very early. I have no idea what chemical they use; I can never smell it indoors but it is extremely effective. When they find a dead bird they will spread out and send an army of people with hand operated equipment to spray all around everyone's house, even in the back yards, immediately. I've had fewer than a half dozen mosquito bites since I moved here.

I'll bet nutrias taste just like chicken, too. But I'll never find out, if I have any say in the matter! LOL

Carole C

john h on 7/29/03 at 08:55 (125524)

Believe this or not but a town near Little Rock sprays Garlic to fight mosqitos.

john h on 7/29/03 at 09:36 (125528)

Kathy: Make sure he checks out ebay for the Ronco. I love the Ronco but the factory reconditioned ones on ebay at $41 beats $138 for the TV model. I think I will try the salamon on the Ronco tonight.

john h on 7/29/03 at 10:02 (125536)

Carole: Maybe these creatures were brought here to eat Kudzu. We had two in a creek a few blocks from my house a couple of years ago. They were removed by animal control.

john h on 7/29/03 at 10:05 (125538)

Carole: I will buy a prime rib today and give it a go on the Ronco this week. Big problem! I like mine more rare than Mary. I am the cook howver.

Dorothy on 7/29/03 at 11:57 (125550)

NUTRIA! WHARF RATS! SNAKE INFESTATIONS! It sounds like the new and horrifying version of The Wizard of Oz! (You know - lions, tigers and bears...oh, my)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/29/03 at 16:06 (125567)

This is nothing, just a little subtropical wildlife.... you ought to see what it's like living in the TROPICS! (grin)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/29/03 at 16:16 (125569)

That would be poetic justice - - the invasive pest consuming the invasive pest. I'm surprised that nutria have spread up north like that! Probably you don't have a bounty on nutria up there, though.

Now that's a way to fund retirement. I've not tried to shoot yet, but I can learn. If I practiced and became a sharpshooter, and shot only 15 nutria per day on average, then I could boost my retirement income by $21,900 per year. I could also be known far and wide as a colorful character like 'Granny' in the Beverly Hillbillies.

(tongue in cheek! LOL)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/29/03 at 16:18 (125571)

John,

Save some salmon for your friends here at heelspurs.com! :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/29/03 at 16:24 (125572)

Mary is very wise. Prime rib, and in fact all beef was meant to be medium well to well done. That's why red meat is red inside; if it's still red, you know that it's still raw and needs more cooking. It's like a free 'doneness indicator' that comes with the meat. Then, after it's not red inside any more, you cook it a little more so that the outside is a nice, even black color.

You should try your prime rib well done tonight. Maybe you'll change your mind! (We women have to stick together sometimes, right Mary?)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/29/03 at 21:36 (125614)

This has been a really interesting thread, Carole! I never heard of Nutria before. They sound sort of scary. :D

But you know, if you decided to, I'll bet you could be a real good sharpshooter! Anyone who can handle themselves so well at sea would have no trouble with that!

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/30/03 at 06:20 (125622)

(grin) Well thanks, Suzanne! I don't know, though. Actually I've never really been around firearms. It does sound like one of the easier ways to make a living in Louisiana. But, I think I'll stick with my job, instead. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 7/30/03 at 10:03 (125644)

I was terrified of guns until my husband took me target shooting. I actually enjoyed it! Don't ask me what kind of gun we used but I was surprised by how much I liked it! He made sure that both of our children became familiar with guns and how to use them properly. That being said, I insisted that his firearms be stored at his family's house until they passed away. By that time, my children were grown and I felt it was all right to have guns in the house. I'm not talking pistols here; I'm talking hunting rifles. The funny thing is that he hasn't been hunting since he was in high school and neither of my kids took it up. He just felt it was important that they know how to use and respect firearms.

I doubt very much that he would be out hunting wild Nutria but maybe if I lived down there, I could get a little cart, put the stupid supports on my dumb hands and go out hunting! Then I would feel like I was contributing to the family income! You have no idea how funny the idea of a setting a klutz like me free with a gun is! The Nutrias would laugh themselves to death!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/30/03 at 11:35 (125665)

LOL! Kathy, I can SO relate to what you are saying. The nutrias would probably die laughing when they saw me with a gun, so all I'd have to do is just go pick up their poor little dead bodies. (grin)

I would not allow firearms in my house when my daughter was at home, either. But now that I'm living alone, I would not have a problem with it. Although I have not yet ever shot a real gun, I think I would enjoy target shooting simply for fun. My brothers were both top marksmen when they were younger and had the awards to prove it. Neither hunted; they simply enjoyed target practice.

When I was married we used to have a 'duck hunting' program on our old Sega Genesis, with a plastic gun... you 'shoot' the ducks as they go across the TV screen. I enjoyed that a lot.

Carole C