Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Jaimee Brumbly

Posted by marie on 7/27/03 at 17:38 (125375)

As I have mentioned in an earlier post we have had 2 friends that we lost to murder. Today I will share Jaimee's story.

I worked at a large furniture store in Indianapolis when I first graduated from college. They trained us to be interior designers. One of my co-workers, Jaimee's husband, also had a degree in Art Ed. He and I hit it off and we usually paled around together at work. I had met his wife on several occasions....she was a doll. He was so much in love with her. Jaimee was a trainer for an Indiana department store chain. She worked downtown and at a small upscale mall on the north side. After a couple of years I switched jobs to learn about the graphics industry. I kept in touch with my friends at the store. One morning I heard a familiar name on the radio news my heart stopped.....I listened closer and they said Jaimee Brumbly...not alot of Brumbly's out there. She was found dead in the trunk of her car in a downtown grocery store parking lot.

I phoned friends immediately and spent time with my friend....This is Jaimee's story. She was leaving the shopping mall store...her car was parked in the employee parking lot it was 11:00 a.m. There was a hedge of bushes dividing the employee and customer lot....they had grown rather tall. Jaimee interrupted a man breaking into some cars. He shoved her in the back of her 2 door car and had a knife. He took her to a wooded spot in the downtown area and assaulted her. He tied her up, put her in the trunk of her car and shoved her panty hose into her mouth and throat. He drove the car to a nearby grocery store and abandoned it. Jaimee slowly suffocated in the trunk of her car while people were going in and out of the grocery store. They said it was a slow painful death.

This is her husband's story. He received a call from the department store because Jaimee hadn't shown up downtown to do training and they were concerned. Steve immediately left and traced her driving route from one store to the next and found no sign of her or her car. He called police and tried to report her missing. They said they couldn't do anything until 24 hours passed because she was an adult. He phoned her parents and they all began to search for her. Jaimee's father was the head of the gas company in Indy. He asked that all his drivers to look out for her car. It was a Gas Co. employee that found her car early the next morning.

Time went by and the investigation seemed hopeless. About 6 weeks later there was a break. A man had tried to attack a woman in a downtown parking garage. Another man happened to be going to his car when he heard a scuffle and a woman yelling. I guess she was putting up quite a fight. The man was able to not only get him off of her but held him there until she was able to call the police. (This was in the 80's no cell phones).

He was connected to Jaimee's murder by his fingerprints, blood samples (Jaimee had skin and blood under her nails as she tried to fight him), and semen. The man pleaded guilty to the count of attempted rape in the parking garage and NOT GUILTY for raping and murdering Jaimee by reason of insanity.

The murderer (I have chosen to never speak his name) had a history of mild mental illness. He had been in and out of hospitals for years. He was homeless. The trial was long and public. It was hard on Jaimee's family and especially for her husband. In the end the man was found guilty and although mentally ill was given the death penalty. The judge determined that many mentally ill people do understand right from wrong. The fact that he tried to hide Jaimee by tying her up, stuffing her panthose down her throat, and placing her in the trunk shows that he knew and understood that what he had done was wrong because he was hiding it, therefore he deserved the maximum penalty.

It was a precident setting case. Her husband would only be interviewed by one person from the news, Jane Pauley. They had gone to the same high school. Jaimee's death changed the courts forever. Her case is sited in both famous and not so famous trials across the country on a daily basis. Who has it affected....Jeffrey Daumer and Susan Smith are the two that come to mind.

thanks for listening...I don't share this story often. No one has the right to commit a violent act against another person, period.

Re: Jaimee Brumbly

Sharon W on 7/27/03 at 19:35 (125386)

I'm speechless.

That must have been one of those things that affected the way you thought about things in the world around you, forever...

marie on 7/27/03 at 19:52 (125388)

still does.

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 08:47 (125414)

Oh, marie, how devistaing this must have been to you . I am so sorry this happened to you and your friends . Our world is so very cruel around us . We wish we could protect all our loved ones every minute of the day , and we can with prayer , and the rest is left up to a higher power . If only all the pain and suffering could be taken away from the families of the children to have them grow up and commit these terrible crimes , if only , if only , we all keep thinking 'if only'. Being a teacher , it must be hard for you as you must see children possibly 'heading the wrong way' and you feel that you want to try to help them get back on the right path. I can imagine that you have helped a lot of kids in your teaching years, as you are such a compationate and caring person.
It is so terribly devistating for a whole community when a terrible crime happens like the death of your young friend . It is so awfull what happened to her ,and I am so sorry for your loss . Bev

marie on 7/28/03 at 09:34 (125424)

Thank you Bev,

It was a long time ago. I have lost contact with Jaimee's husband. I understand he is teaching. I do think of Jaimee from time to time. Especially when her case is sited in the courts. No one ever hears her name it is always sited in the 'state vs. name of defendent'. If you have been to Indy you may have noticed the mounted police officers. This came also as the result of her death. During the busiest time of the year you will see officers on horseback around the malls. Murder is different, it is not the same as other types of death. You never really heal but you go on. Her death came a year after one of our old college buddies was found in a corn field. He had been blungened in the back of the head and shot several times in the back. His killer also claimed the insanity defense and was dx with a depression disorder. He did not receive the maximum penalty under the law. He is out of jail.

Suzanne D on 7/28/03 at 10:33 (125432)

How very very sad, Marie. I am so sorry.

I had a child in my room two years ago whose father was in prison for killing his mother. He was in foster care and then later adopted. Sometimes he wanted to talk about it, and I tried to let him do so but when the other children weren't able to hear. He was a baby at the time of his mother's death, but he knew about it, and it affected him. Later his adoptive parents divorced. I worry about him. Once a child is in my classroom, they are always a part of me; I'm sure you know what I mean!

Suzanne :)

marie on 7/28/03 at 11:33 (125438)

Yes I do. They are in your heart forever.