Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

middle facet coalition?

Posted by N Davidson on 7/27/03 at 17:42 (125378)

i am 31 years old and have had middle facet coalition from birth. I have been told i need an opertion to rid me of the pain i suffer in my left ankle, yet the op has only been done on children and i am very rare as the specalist for the south of England has never seen the problem on an adult and unsure what the future holds for me!! has any one heard of this ( ie have the same problem) ? and? / or has any children had this op and what was the recovery time etc etc any news is usaul news to me. many regards

Re: middle facet coalition?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/03 at 15:30 (125563)

I assume that you are referring to a coalition of the middle facet of the subtalar joint. Such a coalition can be fibrous (scar tissue) or osseus, that is, a boney bridge across the facet. Much will depend on how much of the joint cartilage is disturbed in the performance of the procedure. A CT scan would allow some additional predictability in that area.

A modest amount of relief may be likely although, in the long term, if a substantial deficit in the joint surface is created, fusion may be needed.
Ed

N Davidson on 7/29/03 at 16:36 (125573)

thank you for your reply,do you know how long the recovery time is for this type of opertion ie when i could walk unaided, and drive the car, my specalist is unsure as he has never preformed the op on an adult? many thanks. ps is the op painfully??!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/03 at 17:34 (125582)

Your ability to drive a car would be related to your need for pain medications. That would be a factor in walking to some extent. I would need to know the extent to which the coalition affects the joint and thus how much of the joint surface/cartilage is to be removed in order to come up with a decent estimate although a rough ballpark estimate would be about 3 weeks for limited walking and 6 to 8 weeks for close to normal activity.
Ed