Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

~~~~How I spent my Summer Vacation~~~

Posted by Necee on 7/28/03 at 01:54 (125403)

I'm back!!!!
Some of you could care less...and others might want to read about my vacation, so....here's the story.

We took a trip to Ruidoso, NM. I had never been there before, and was really anxious to get somewhere cooler. We have some friends who own cottages up in the mountains there, and they had invited us to come and stay for as long as we wanted. The long drive across the West Texas plains was boring as usual, nothing but cotton fields and oil wells.
We arrived in Ruidoso about 5pm, and really liked the looks of the town.
As we made our way to the upper canyon where our cottage was, the air got cooler, and the trees got bigger! We saw some fabulious log homes on our drive up the mountain. We finally found our cabin, it was wonderful, there was a upstairs balcony leading from our bedroom, from there you could hear the creek below, and see the beautiful mountains in the distance. The first floor had a deck on the back, and that was where we spent most of our leisure time. This place had a tv, but we never turned it on the whole time we were there.
After unpacking, we drove back to town and did some shopping, then found a nice Italian cafe, and had a relaxing meal out on the varanda.

I slept so good!!! The night temperatures were about 50*-52*, we slept with the windows open so we could be lulled to sleep listening to the creek below us.

Every morning we enjoyed breakfast out on the deck, as the Hummingbirds swarmed around us, they were everywhere!!

We had been warned to keep a close watch for bears, and knowing that, I was really anxious to see one in the wild. As I was enjoying my coffee on the deck, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye....It was a BEAR!!! I was stunned to say the least, he was about 30ft away from me. I quickly jumped up and dashed inside closing the glass door behind me. I yelled to my husband that there was a bear outside, and told him to get the camera. As we both watched in amazement, this huge bear walked up to this pine tree and put both front paws on it, he was looking up the tree as if he wanted to climb it. He then turned and walked towards our cabin, we took some pictures, and watched as he sniffed the air while plucking an apple from a closeby tree.
What a thrill!!!

After breakfast we headed out to take some scenic drives in the mountains.
We took some short hikes, and drove up on Apache Mountain, the elevation there was 9,996 ft. Boy was it cool!!!

After a day of sightseeing we headed back to our cabin, on the way there we encountered another bear! This one was walking behind a house, the locals there told us that they come into the town in search of food.

One day we went to Cloudcroft, that was a neat little town.
After a few minutes of shopping there we drove to an observatory at Sunspot.
What an interesting place, there we saw several telescopes, and learned a lot about our solar system. After taking the walking tour, we took a scenic drive back to Ruidoso.

The next day we took a jeep ride with our friends, on that excursion we spotted 5 bears, they were all in different parts of the canyon. After a day of sightseeing we enjoying a delicious meal with our friends. Later that evening we came back to the cabin, sat out on the deck,and visited with them till midnight.

The next day we drove to the Petroglyths, what an interesting place. There were hundreds of rocks with ancient indian drawings on them.

Having to leave Ruidoso, and get back to the 'real world' was a bummer.
Anyway...that's how I spent my Summer vacation.
Happy trails....

Re: ~~~~How I spent my Summer Vacation~~~

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/03 at 07:28 (125406)

What a idyllic vacation! You are braver than I would have been with that bear. I would have been thinking that he wouldn't know what a sliding glass door is and could break it. We have petroglyphs back in Hawaii, too, and it is fascinating to see them; like a window into ancient lives.

Ah, nature. I'll bet you feel recharged and lots better after a vacation like that. Now you can look at the photos and fondly remember it. :)

Carole C

BevN. on 7/28/03 at 08:20 (125409)

Your trip sounds wonderful:) I bet the photos are beautiful, especially the bears :) Our son was just in NM and took some lovely photos of the White Sands National Park and some of them are at sunset , so beautiful :) It is so hard to get back to 'real life' again after vacation , what a bummer , right :>
Have a great day :) Bev

Kathy G on 7/28/03 at 08:46 (125413)

Sounds like it was beautiful, Necee! I believe I would have stayed as far away from the bears as possible! It must run in the family. My sister went camping in the White Mountains with her family two years ago and they warned about bears. They awakened in their tents to quite a lot of noise and looked out to see a bear which had opened their cooler and was feasting on the contents. She claims she didn't sleep a wink for the remaning two nights of the vacation and she hasn't been camping since! Too close to Mother Nature for her!

It's a strange concept to me to think of going to the mountains for cool air. I always think of the ocean as being the place to go and it would never occur to me to go to the mountains. I was telling my husband this and he pointed out that it was because I'd never lived in an area where I didn't have fairly quick access to the ocean!

That's one of my favorite things about this Board. I just love reading about different ways of life is other parts of the country. Thanks for sharing with us, Necee! Glad you had fun!

Suzanne D on 7/28/03 at 10:14 (125426)

Wow, Necee! That sounds like a wonderful vacation! Could you post a photo or two for us to see? I'd particularly like to see one of the bears! Perhaps I might print it to show to my children at school sometime. I have a friend who visited Africa, and she e-mailed some photos to me. I printed them out, and it was great to show the children a lion in the bush and other animals when we read a story about Africa.

I agree with Kathy: it's so interesting to read about other places on this board! It's the next best thing to being there!

Welcome back! I missed your posts!
Suzanne :)