Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lateral pain after PF Surgery.

Posted by chris on 7/28/03 at 14:57 (125458)

Hi. I had partial plantar fascia release surgery June 9th. I was on crutches for 3 weeks and then moved back to my trail runners with orthotics.
Since i have had bad pain in the right, lateral (a little top as well) side of my foot.(the opposite side of incision) This pain has 'trumped' any pain i had with PF. My Dr. said it happens to about 1 in 25 surgery patients. I read on this website that it may have to do with your foot becoming even flatter. ( i do have flat feet.) Do you think this is what's happening to me? does this gradually go away? How can i treat this?
I have already done the Aleve and Vioxx thing.

Thanks

Chris

Re: Lateral pain after PF Surgery.

Dr. Z on 7/28/03 at 19:44 (125493)

Hi
This happens due to the lateral shifting of weight to the lateral plantar fsacia band since you had the medial band cut. Taping, orthosis with lateral wedge, sometimes boot cast. and or physical therapy are the first line of treatment.

Re: So, OK, What about these stats

Steve G on 7/28/03 at 20:04 (125498)

Does this sound right - 1 in 25. In the years before ESWT, when you did a lot more of these, was 1 out of 25 about right for lateral column syndrome? Or were you suprised when he cited this statistic?

Dr. Z on 7/28/03 at 20:14 (125501)

This depends on the type of procedure done. When I did alot of minimial incision plantar fascia releases the numbers were small. The reason it was small was I found a way to reduce this VERY PAINFUL and frustating problem.
I used a plantar incision and cut away from the lateral band just to make sure that only a portion of the medial band was cut. This reduced alot of lateral band pain. You do get a fair number of lateral band pain sometimes lastly one year plus when you do a medial incision or an EPF.
This is a very frustrating problem to the patient and the doctor. ESWT eliminated this completely.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/03 at 10:02 (125537)

Steve:

A lot of lateral column syndrome can be prevented by anticipation of that problem during surgical planning. I feel that casts are necessary after surgery to allow the structures of the foot to adapt to the change in weight and stress transference. The 'selling' that has occurred at times with EPF has been problematic, particularly if an implied promise of an early return to regular existed. Patients should go through a gradual process of casting to splinting to supportive shoegear with a proper orthotic and a gradual return to activity, allowing the foot time to adapt to the post-surgical changes.
Ed

Re: missing word -

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/03 at 15:24 (125562)

Missing word .. 'early return to regular shoegear existed...
Ed

Re: missing word -

chris on 8/26/03 at 14:43 (128069)

Thank you for the responses. My lateral pain has gotten worse. The pain is constant. (the next part of this post is going to be difficult to explain, but i'll do my best.) My foot feels so unnatural...so different. When i put my foot in my shoe, it just feels messed up. this weird, uncomfortable feeling mixes with my lateral pain for a 'pain and discomfort cocktail.'

I'm calling my surgeon tomorrow for a follow up. I have not tried any of the taping which was recomended. What taping procedure would i use? the same as PF taping? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks......Chris