Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

inserts for sandals

Posted by Bobbie D. on 7/28/03 at 15:25 (125460)

Are there inserts for sandals. I live in Florida and wear sandals ALL the time, I don't care for tennis type shoes or pumps, etc. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Re: inserts for sandals

Dorothy on 7/28/03 at 15:40 (125463)

I would answer your question by saying that it is not a question of whether there are inserts for sandals, but rather, what are the sandals that can accomodate inserts. That usually means that a sandal/any shoe has to have a removable insole so that an 'orthotic' type insole can be put in the shoe in its place. A number of brands of sandals have removable insoles, but not all styles and not a huge number.

Nan D on 7/28/03 at 22:37 (125510)

Hello Bobbie,
I have become a sandal/orthotic expert in the last 7 months & wasted lots of $$ with trial & error !I live in Houston and also wear sandals much of the time. The most stylish(if you can call them that) & truly comfortable sandal I've found are the SAS Duo, Huarache, & Trio ll casual sandals. The SDOs that Dr Kiper has are a 2 part silicone orthotic. You can take the gel orthotic out of the cover and wear onlt the gel insert in almost any sandal. I've found that getting the wide &/or double wide sandals in your size work the best.(I am a size 5 1/2 or 6 shoe) The gel orthotic is a fairly clear color and fits neatly under your foot so it does not show.
SAS has a couple of other slightly more dressy sandals that I have ordered but not received yet,(called Caress & Twist Again)to see if the orthotic will fit in those. I hope others will give us some ideas too! Thanks for asking a good question!
Nan

Sheryl C on 7/31/03 at 16:16 (125812)

Nan,

If you don't mind, can you tell me where/how you buy your SAS sandals?

I'm in the LA area, and the closest SAS store seems to be miles and miles from me. Doing a search on-line brings up another vendor. I'm wondering if SAS has been recently bought out perhaps?

Any ideas appreciated,

Sheryl

rose on 7/31/03 at 22:31 (125834)

There are at least two stores here in the San Diego area. I will research and see if I can find any in the LA area. What part of LA are you living in?

Re: SAS shoes

Suzanne D on 8/01/03 at 05:02 (125845)

Sheryl, the SAS company does not allow their products to be sold online. Here's the address which I found in some literature which came with my shoes. Perhaps you could write to find out the store nearest you.

The SAS Shoemakers
Siesta Valley Ranch
H.C.R. 2 Box 52D
Medina, Texas 78055-9411

Good luck!
Suzanne :)

Re: Los Angeles SAS shoes store

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 08:06 (125850)

You are in luck! You don't have to drive down to San Diego after all. Here's a store in your very own city of Los Angeles. :)

SAS Comfort Shoes
1303 N. Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, CA
phone: (323) 661-7649

I got this from the http://www.yahoo.com 'yellow pages'. I hope this store works out for you.

Carole C

Sheryl C on 8/01/03 at 09:53 (125875)

Hi Carole,

Thanks so much! That's perfect for me! I'm also going to look at Birkenstocks this weekend as something to wear at home instead of flip-flops or slippers.

Thanks to all of you for your responses,

Sheryl

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 10:23 (125880)

Be sure to tell the salesman at the SAS shoestore that you have PF. They know about that and will take extra care to fit you correctly.

Try the SAS 'Free Time' model. (Any men reading this would want to try the SAS 'Time Out' model, which is the same in a men's shoe). The 'Free Time' has been very helpful for me and for some other regulars on this message board and I think you may find it to be pretty comfortable! :)

If you plan to wear orthotics with your SAS shoes, tell the salesman and take them with you if you already have them.

Carole C

Cyndi T. on 8/07/03 at 23:18 (126536)

Hi Nan,

This is a coincidence. I live in Houston, and I also wear 5 1/2 or 6. I'm glad to know about the gel type orthotics and that they work for you. I have found that the only sandals I can wear are some made by the Walking Co. called Sushi. The arch support in them is similar to my own arch. Otherwise, I have been stuck with unattractive shoes that my orthotics fit in. I have only had this condition for five months. If I order Dr. Kiper's, maybe I can wear better looking shoes or sandals. Thanks!

Nan D on 8/08/03 at 10:08 (126567)

Hi Cyndi,

Yes, this IS quite a coincidence! The SAS shoe store I go to is off I-10 & Echo Lane-713-464-6656 ask for Pat. She has been there 18 years & defintely knows how to fit the sandals/shoes! If you'd like, I would be happy to meet you there sometime & show you how the Dr Kiper orthotics work w/ the sandals. Those orthotics are absolutely the best to to be able to wear stylish sandals/shoes. I was also at Nordstroms yesterday and they had TONS of different brands of comfort shoes. I couldn't believe it! I think comfort shoe stocks might be the next 21st century boom category like tech stocks were, if a store like Nord. has so much inventory!!!

What type of foot problem do you have & were you able to find a competent podiatrist in Houston? I gave up after going to 3 !!!!!!
Nan