Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

running and fasciitis

Posted by Katherine K on 7/28/03 at 23:47 (125512)

I am in training for a marathon, though have not been running more than about 25-30 miles a week so far. This is a normal amount for me that I have kept up on and off for several years. I think I may be experiencing pain due to wearing unsupportive flip flops too often. My question is, does the pain need to be completely gone before I start running again? Its been 3 days so far and the pain is only slightly better.
Thank you!!

Katherine

Re: running and fasciitis

Rick R on 7/29/03 at 07:24 (125519)

Katherine,

It's quite hard to tell anyone what to do with this situation. You could have a short term flare up that can be gone in a few weeks or you could be in the early stages of a struggle that will last many years. Please err on the side of caution. What I can say is that while you are doing serious running which, I consider the 25 - 30 miles per week to be, you need to take great care of your body the rest of the time. Consider it a budgeting process. When you run, you allocate a large portion of the punishment one can take for the day in a short space of time. The rest of the time must allow for maximum recovery. If the recovery doesn't equal the dammage, you are on a slipery slope to injury. I consider walking barefoot or in flip flops to be adding to the dammage colmun. Wear the best running shoes you can, as often as you, can while symptoms last, and while you mileage is up there even after you feel good. If you have a pair in good shape with around 500 miles on them or less retire them from running, they may be great flip flop replacements. I'd make sure when you resume, that you have a new pair of shoes or darned close to it.

I'd also be poping the maximum dose of ibuprofen the doctor will let you take at night before bed. I'd stay of the running until symptoms are gone. The stretching exersizes shown on this site are something to add to your routine if they aren't already. I'd also ice after the first few attempts back to running until you are sure you are back up to speed pain free.

I'd also look into arch support improvements. Orthotics work for many. I couldn't have returned to running or, even walking for a while, without tape. For me it's been a hudge factor in regaining an active life.

How are you first thing in the morning? If you have this morning pain it is a sign that the healing process overnight is not able to keep up with the dammage you have done.

Best of Luck,

Rick

Dermot on 7/29/03 at 08:42 (125522)

I would be careful with the Ibuprofen - actually I wouldn't recommend taking any at all.
It may be masking the pain and hiding an injury that my get worse.
Pain is the best indicator that something is wrong and Ibuprofen will make it difficult to tell if you are recovering or just masking the pain.
Ice five times a day for about 5 minutes.
If it was the flip flops - quit wearing them. I just picked up some Birkenstocks and they have worked wonders so far.
Go and see a Pod is probably the best advice.
Keeping the foot supported is most important.
You will be the best judge of how to 'manage' the pain versus running.
Good luck!

McKee on 7/29/03 at 10:01 (125535)

If in doubt don't do it! I run about 30 miles a week and have been struck with heel pain that slowly bugged me until it got REALLY bad after a 15 K on the fourth of July. It was feeling better after a week off, so I went for a 6 mile run only to make it worse. So, I have been swimming and pool running for 2 weeks now. My heel pain is almost completely GONE!!! But, I am going to give it another few days. The pool running is realy GREAT and is keeping me sane. I almost feel like I get a better workout because I do it pretty hard and steady for 50 minutes. But, I am eager to run and hopeful the doctor will give me a good report when I FINALLY see him next week. Good luck. And, resting now will pay off in the long run!

Dr. Z on 7/29/03 at 15:47 (125566)

Hi

You need to really see a podiatrist to determine exactly what is wrong with your foot. Could be plantar fasciitis . Could be stress fracture, Could be posterior tibial tendonitis. Rest and stop running but most important get a diagnosis. Good luck. Boy that's alot of running