Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New here and depressed about my plantar fasciitis

Posted by francesc on 7/29/03 at 16:18 (125570)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and have had plantar fasciitis for about 8 months now. I finally made it to the podiatrist who gave me a cortisone shot and is fitting me with orthotics in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly depressed since I'm a fairly active person with 2 active kids and he just told me no weight-bearing activity for 1 week and to hold off on the running, aerobics, etc.

Does anyone get back to doing these things? I would love to hear stories of how you bounced back.

Thanks,
Frances

Re: New here and depressed about my plantar fasciitis

Carole C in NOLA on 7/29/03 at 16:43 (125574)

You can get back to running and doing aerobics, but recovering from PF is not a quick process. It is generally measured in months rather than days. If you ignore your feet, it could take years. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Now, for the good news. I am not a runner, but I do enjoy walking and participating in my life. With PF, I really couldn't. Now, my PF is under control to the extent that I can do everything I once did, although I am still cautious and wear good shoes, and I pay attention to what my feet are telling me because I don't want a relapse.

The treatments that helped me to recover were:

rest
custom orthotics in good shoes
Birkenstocks
never standing or walking barefoot (even to take a shower)
gentle non-weightbearing stretching
ice

in that order of importance. Be sure to read the heel pain book on this website, and to read and contribute to the message boards. Ask questions if you have any. You are ultimately in charge of your own self treatment.

I had PF for two months when I first saw my doctor and had it diagnosed. Two weeks later I got my custom orthotics. By six months after that, I was pain free. I aggressively pursued self treatment during that time, and spent a lot of money trying treatments that just didn't work for me as well as some that did. I made a point of always doing less than I could do, rather than more. That way I minimized my setbacks and was able to heal faster. I learned to pay close attention to my feet, and to what hurts and what doesn't. I found that avoiding anything that hurts seemed to help me in my recovery.

But different people find different paths to pain free feet, using different treatments. I guess the best advice is to pay attention to your feet and what seems to help them, and what doesn't.

Carole C

marie on 7/29/03 at 16:47 (125575)

Hi Frances,

Welcome to the board. Yes we have all been right were you are now. And yes there is hope. Hang in there. I have TTS and PF. It's been over 2 years and I am doing almost everything. Know and accept you're in for a long hall. It takes a real committment to get well...we will be here if you need us. You asked if anyone has bounced back...I was in a wheel chair and scooter with little hope that I'd regain enough to walk and bear weight. That was last fall....this spring I walked 2 miles in the Multple Sclerosis walk. My brother has MS and I was determined to do it.

Today I was out in the woods harvesting moss for a terrarium. I woke up a doe and her twin fawns. Every year she stays on our property while her babes are little. Last spring she had a new pair of fawns and her yearlings were nearby. I was glad to see that she had dodged the hunter's arrows and bullets. But she is a little naughty as she ate my elphant jade and my hanging geraniums. Oh well. She never messes with my cactus garden.

Take care and remember the best people in the universe are at this board.

best wishes, marie

BrianG on 7/29/03 at 18:11 (125593)

Hi Frances,

Actually, you are one of the lucky ones! You have found this forum before you develope chronic pain. From what I read, the first year is the best time to cure PF. Listen to your doctor, and listen to your feet. If you are spending too much time on your feet, they will tell you.

After a couple failed PF treatments, you may want to consider ESWT. Go to the top of the page, for the ESWT link. It is simply put, sound waves directed at the area of your heel that hurts. The waves injure the area, and hopefully your body will heal that area. Check it out, and good luck.

BrianG

Carol B on 7/29/03 at 21:57 (125616)

Hi,
I was just looking for info and came across this site. Please don't be depressed, you will get better, but it takes time. I had this condition about 3 years ago, went to a doctor who referred me to a podiatrist. I wish I had gone sooner, I was in alot of pain, even limping. Eventually, I got better - the doctor taped my foot a couple of times and ordered a device I wore at night. He recommended stretching and good shoes. I think New Balance brand are great. Anyway, the pain is now recurring, and I am trying to do the stretching, etc. sooner, because I remember how much worse it can be. An interesting factor is that the last time I developed this was in the summer and now again, 3 years later, summer again. I am wondering if the connection may be wearing sandals that has triggered the recent flare-up. Hang in there and take care!

Suzanne D on 7/29/03 at 22:03 (125617)

Hello, Frances! One of the very best things you can do for yourself is to frequent these message boards. You will learn so much and receive vital support and understanding. Ask questions, do searches on topics you're concerned about, and don't give up!

We're all wishing you the best!
Suzanne :)

Necee on 7/29/03 at 23:23 (125620)

Welcome aboard Frances, you've come to the right place.
For help, support, and knowledge you couldn't find a better bunch of folks.
We've all been where you are right now....some are still struggling, but with the right treatment, you will over come this PF.
After 2 yrs of pain, and not knowing what to do, I'm finally getting better.
There is hope Frances without having to undergo surgery. If you read the Heel Pain book on this website, and begin a treatment program, you will get better. The key to recovering from this pain is to find a good pair of support shoes that work best for your feet, I've found that Birkenstock shoes are just what I needed, but they aren't for everyone.
You must rest your feet too Frances, it's SO important to do that. Ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and most are eager to answer any questions you might have.
Carole gave you some wonderful advice, and there's not much more I can add to what she said, so just hang in there and lean on us all you want.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carol B on 7/30/03 at 10:02 (125643)

Hi again Frances,
I was just recalling the whole PF ordeal I endured several yrs. ago, and I remember, in addition to the other advice I gave you, that I got 1 or 2 shots of cortisone into the heel at one point - I was starting back to school (I teach) and the pain at that point was kind of intense (I guess because I had let it progress). The shots helped and were NOT painful, I was pleasantly surprised at that. But I had to ASK the podiatrist for them, he gave me the shot after we had tried the other stuff. This time, I am stretching, etc. to prevent getting to that stage. I asked him what caused it, and he sort of laughed and said, well how about your eyes, do you need glasses now that you are over 40 (I'm 45). Yes, I said, for reading. He explained that it was kind of like that, a problem with tissue not being as elastic as we get older - like the problems of the vision associated with aging. Anyway, the most difficult part for me was not being able to be as active as I wanted, but unfortunantly the rest is important. IF you must be on your feet, resting your heel on ice after helps also.