Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

compression socks ??

Posted by stella on 7/29/03 at 16:54 (125576)

Ok well i bought them today after i waited for the order i couldnt believe they were 30 bucks! cause i needed a bigger size good lord. that is alot i hope this helps some. On a better not i am getting some money finally from the township to pay basic bills for only this month!! Electric, water, gas, and phone. So that will help out a bit this month. But what to do next month ha ha .. I am still waiting for the letter i called dr today and said i need it by friday. So how are these compression socks??? Good or not?? Do i have to leave it on all day long?? It is tight but not too tight.

Re: compression socks ??

Sharon W on 7/29/03 at 17:07 (125580)

Stella,

Yes, you should leave the compression socks on all day long, but you shouldn't need to have them on when you are lying down; just put a couple of pillows under your feet and then the socks should be able to come off for a little while...

(Of course, those were MY instructions. You should follow your own doctor's instructions about the compression socks.)

Mine do help a lot to relieve the swelling problem -- that, plus Vioxx, pretty much keep my foot/ankle from swelling up, which is a VERY good thing. (Of course, your surgery was more recent, and it may take wearing these for a while to bring the swelling down and keep it down.) There is one lady here, Lara, who swears by her compression socks... I don't know if she's reading the TTS board these days though.

Sharon

stella on 7/29/03 at 17:19 (125581)

ok what is vioxx??? I still am icing it down and i have pillows on the bed for at night and by the chair in the living room ha ha . I had no instructions from the dr ha ha . he first said an ankle brace but that wouldnt fit me so then he said get a compression sock and wear that see u in 3 weeks. Like i said dr isnt very compassionate

Sharon W on 7/29/03 at 17:41 (125583)

Stella,

From your previous description of this doc, I wondered if he had even bothered to give you any instructions for the compression socks. (He should have, but you know how it is... Sometimes we have to help each other because our doctors don't tell us what we need to know.)

Icing it is good, but remember not to get it wet and to use a barrier (a sock works fine), and not to keep the ice on for more than 20 minutes per hour. (Personally, I like to use a bag of frozen peas...)

Vioxx is a prescription anti-inflammatory painkiller. (I can't take Motrin because it upsets my stomach, big-time!!)

Sharon

stella on 7/29/03 at 17:43 (125585)

ok what is vioxx??? I still am icing it down and i have pillows on the bed for at night and by the chair in the living room ha ha . I had no instructions from the dr ha ha . he first said an ankle brace but that wouldnt fit me so then he said get a compression sock and wear that see u in 3 weeks. Like i said dr isnt very compassionate

Sharon W on 7/29/03 at 19:10 (125602)

I have a constant problem with swelling because of a problem with the veins in that leg. Vioxx is a prescription painkiller, to reduce swelling. (It really just does the same thing Motrin does, but it costs a whole heck of a lot more!) However, because of my sensitive stomach, I can't take Motrin or Advil or Aleve or aspirin or any of that stuff... so I have to use Vioxx.

Sharon

lara on 7/31/03 at 01:40 (125759)

Sharon - I'm here - sort of. I'm on vacation - and fighting off early signs of tendonitis from too much time on the computer!

You're right, I do sware by compression socks - (to fill in new people who haven't heard me rave about them) they gave me a reasonable life that doesn't leave me fantasizing about amputation in order to move more easily. H

owever it sounds like Stella had surgery, which is very different from my situation. It's looking like water retention may be a major factor in my TTS. I'm doing more observations and trials - after I return from my vacation. For those that haven't heard my spiel on this, I got compression socks before surgery, and there's general agreement among the doctors that I shouldn't have surgery if the compression socks are working so well.

I was never really told how long to wear my socks. I've just let comfort be my guide. The socks are a little tight, so when my feet are good enough that I notice how tight they are, I take them off. When my feet burn enough, the 'tightness' is hardly noticeable. When my feet are doing well, I take them off at night. When they aren't, I wear them 24/7. When they are worse, I wear medium/firm. When they are doing well, I wear milds. My impression is it's hard to do damage with the compression socks - I'm not a doctor, but I've never heard any stories of damage - even from those who found them useless or somewhat painful.

I used to tell people I had Rx socks, which were stronger than OTC. I'm not sure that's true. I'm on the other side of the country right now and saw compression socks in the large drug stores - and the compression #s looked like what I got with my prescription. I think maybe the Rx was so insurance would pay for it. If so, my co-pay for my office visit so I can get the prescription is more than the cost of the socks! Hmmmm. But I digress.

I seem to be the resident cheer-leader for giving compression socks a try. (although I realize they don't help everyone). I'll be away for a few days, maybe a week, but I'll answer any other questions you have - well I'll respond anyway, don't know if I'll have the answers.

P.S. to Stella. $30.00 is A LOT for a pair of socks. But if you think of it as a treatment, rather than a sock, $30.00 is pretty cheap - especially if it works. HOpe it helps.

Re: compression socks ?? ?? for Lara

Lynne C. on 8/08/03 at 12:52 (126579)

Hi Lara,
I have been reading the discusion of compression socks. My question is how long did it take you to notice the diffence once you began wearing the socks?
My feet have swollen since I was about 13 yrs.old, working in my fathers peach packing house. So I have the socks already. I haven't been wearing them for a while(thru the winter) and I have been out of work for about 5 weeks now. I return to work Sun. night so say a prayer that I make it.
In the past 3 months I had begin to notice the tingling and stabbing pain in my right foot (ankle). I have had PF for about 18 months and just thought it was another ache from it. My Pod sent me to the Neuro. and he has done the NCT and EMG, both in the normal range but he said that didn't mean anything so he did the nerve block. I had ask him about the compression socks and he advised against them.
I have learned from this site that my healing process is really up to me, so I thought I would see if I had the wonderful response that you did.
Thanks,
Lynne C.

Re: compression socks ?? ?? for Lara

lara on 8/09/03 at 18:00 (126654)

It's hard to remember now (it was several years ago now), but I would say within a few days at the most, possibly almost immediately. I just don't remember. I do remember they helped so much I put two socks on one foot to speed up the process (because I could tell it was helping). I noticed the improvement promptly, but it was several weeks/months before I stabilized at the level where I am now.

Hmm. I'm curious why the doctor advised against them. I've never heard of a down side to trying them - I mean, they don't work for some people and actually hurt some people (which I don't mean to minimize), but in that case they take the socks off and are no worse off for trying them (I assume that because no one has ever said otherwise or contradicted me - I'm open to hearing from someone if I am in error). Given (assuming) there is no lingering pain and no damage if they don't work, I'm curious why he advised against them. Since they work so well for me, I don't want to be giving out bum information and welcome additional information on the issue of compression socks.

HOpe I've answered your questions.

Good luck and best wishes for a good recovery.
Lara