Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery Timeline?????

Posted by rose on 7/30/03 at 13:07 (125684)

I had release surgery one month ago. The incision is about three inches on the bottom of the heel on the inside half of the heel. I have been in a boot, but slight weight bearing all along. Now I have been told to wear an athletic shoe a few hours a day and then put the boot back on and do this until I can be in shoes for 5 hours straight. Now it hurts to walk in the shoe, not a lot, but some. Do you agree that this sounds like a reasonable thing for me to be doing, or do you think I should be in the boot more? Should there be pain when I walk? Thanks so much for your time.

Re: Recovery Timeline?????

Dr. Z on 7/30/03 at 14:56 (125699)

Pain is your indicator of when to go back to the boot. If five hours is too much reduce the time. The key is listen to your foot and do this gradually. IF you have to wear the boot. Move your ankle up and down 10 three times daily. Good luck. The key is to have some motion in your foot and ankle but not so much where you are in alot of pain