Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tennis star Lindsay Davenport plays pain free despite neuroma

Posted by Sharon W on 7/30/03 at 14:11 (125690)

This tennis star has a neuroma in her foot but was able to play pain-free this time and WIN (-- makes me wonder what treatment she has gotten for it)!

Sharon

-------------------------

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030729/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_carlsbad_6

Re: Tennis star Lindsay Davenport plays pain free despite neuroma

Dorothy on 7/30/03 at 15:15 (125705)

I always wish we could get more details in these situations.

I am still in a state of joy and euphoria for Lance Armstrong who I think is a true hero. I am thinking of ordering one of the 'team postale' t-shirts to wear on the days when I think things are just too hard (say this with a whiney tone...) and I will try to bring a little of Lance's spirit into my own head!

Dorothy on 7/30/03 at 15:18 (125707)

Oh, and by the way, Lance Armstrong should be getting all the publicity (to the power of ten!) that the Kobe Bryant story is getting. Lance Armstrong - a remarkable athlete and human spirit and a winner! Should be front-page everywhere; instead we get Kobe Bryant, the Dennehy murder and all the other debased, debauched, negative trash.

Sharon W on 7/30/03 at 15:20 (125708)

Yes, and I live where all of that stuff HAPPENED... Sigh.

Sharon
:(

Dr. Z on 7/30/03 at 17:29 (125716)

After reading the article I think she is just a lucky neuroma tennis star. She states that it comes and goes. I guess it went away this time.

Re: Question, for Dr. Z

BrianG on 7/30/03 at 22:11 (125737)

Dr Z,

Do you think it could be that she receives a long acting injection of Lidocaine before each big match? It would certainly take care of the pain, until the match was over.

Just wondering
BrianG

Kathy G on 7/31/03 at 09:09 (125773)

That was my first thought, Brian. Before it got so bad and I needed custom orthotics, I had cortisone+lidocaine shots. Immediately after, it would have been tough to play tennis but the next day, I could have run around without pain. Of course, I haven't played tennis in years, but that's not the point!

As we have often discussed, because of the monetary issues, athletes allow themselves to be numbed in order to participate in their sport. They don't think, or apparently care, about the longterm effects.

Dr. Z on 7/31/03 at 20:30 (125826)

Sure would help. I am not sure if it is allowed in Professional tennis. I know they do this professinal football.