Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis

Posted by Angie on 7/30/03 at 21:19 (125728)

I had a release done on my left foot a year ago. I has been a year and two months and while it still acts up on me, ie, numbness and/or tingling at the incision site and occasional mild discomfort from fatigue, for the most part I consider it to have been successful (a bone spur was also scraped during the release procedure). A year ago I started having pain in my right heel, and for reasons too numerous to go into here, I won't be able to have anything done about it until this fall. My dilema is do I have a release (endoscopic this time), or should I go with the Ossatron. I know I will need to be evaluated, etc., but my question is how successful is the procedure really? I have heard it can take up to three treatments initially and perhaps more treatment after six months. I'd just as soon go with what will work and be done with it, rather than have repeated treatments. I would appreciate your input.

Re: Plantar fasciitis

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/03 at 21:54 (125733)

Angie:

The cure rates are higher for ESWT than for plantar fascial release surgery. One treatment is usually applied with high energy ESWT such as the Ossatron and a second treatment may be performed if a cure is not effected at about 12 weeks.

Ed