Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Elaine D on 7/31/03 at 14:55 (125800)

In the last two years I have gained ~ 25 lbs., normally I am thin. Over the last year my left (heel) has caused me alot of pain and continues to get worse. Could the weight gain delay healing or aggravate the Plantar Fasciitis and make it worse?

I was told by someone who recently had the operation to correct Plantar Fasciitis that she first went through some type of physical theraphy / massage on her foot and finally after 2 - 3 years decided on surgery. Would you recommend the physical theraphy / foot exercises?

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Richard, C.Ped on 8/01/03 at 08:06 (125851)

Elaine,
I have come across patients with PF that are overweight as well as normal weight. It is an odd condition and does not seem picky as to who could develop it. I do see quite a bit of PF in ladies who are pregnant=weight gain. I would suggest doing excercise stretching, but do not over do it. A massage therapist may help.

I would also suggest looking into orthotics. These will help support the fascia and reduce the stretching that occurs by helping to put you in a more neutral position.

If you would like to try to find a C.Ped in your area, feel free to use this link. Scroll to the links section and click on 'Find a C.Ped in your area'.
http://www.geocities.com/palmetto_pedorthic_care/PPC.html

Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions you may have regarding what someone told you.
Richard

Dr. Ben P on 8/01/03 at 18:00 (125921)

yes to both questions
consider non ballistic activity like swimming and biking

john K on 8/01/03 at 18:13 (125925)

I think even gaining 10 lbs could make your PF worse. You figure the weight is causing more tension and stress on the PF. I gained a few pounds and my feet are much worse. Losing weight is easier said than done especially when you can't walk or stand for for than 20 minutes.

john king

Lori W. on 8/01/03 at 18:25 (125928)

What is a C. Ped?