Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anti-inflammatory topicals/cremes

Posted by Jeff S. on 7/31/03 at 21:41 (125828)

Hi all. First, thanks to whomever is responsible for this website. I have had heel problems for years but was very managible until a few weeks ago. I found this site and realized I had PF, as all the symptoms fit to a tee. I tried taping and that really helped and so does the ice. I read that topical anti-inflammatory cremes can also help. Does anyone know an over-the-counter creme that they have had some luck with? The only thing I can find locally is Aspercreme and am not sure if this is an anti-inflammatory. I do have gout and take medication on a daily basis which precludes me from taking or applying anything with aspirin. Any and all brand names will be appreciated.

Jeff

Re: anti-inflammatory topicals/cremes

Dorothy on 8/01/03 at 04:06 (125844)

This website offers some products for sale and has an Ibuprofen Gel for sale. That would meet your need to avoid aspirin in a topical product. Other than that I do not know anything else about it,but if you do a message board search on this site of that name, you can find comments that might have been made about it. Or, maybe people who have used it will respond to your question.

Also, I want to 'second' your thanks to the person(s) responsible for this website. It is helpful, isn't it, in so many ways. T think that is Scott R., the originator of this website.

Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 09:44 (125870)

Jeff,

The ibuprofen gel definitely does not contain aspirin (but I think your aspercreme does, if I remember right). Aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, or NSAID. So is ibuprofen. I don't know if the restriction about not using aspirin applies to ibuprofen or not.

Try a product called 'Biofreeze'. It's often available in medical supply places, or sometimes in chirpractor or physical therapy offices. If you can't find it in one of those places locally, you can always get it on-line; just do a search for 'Biofreeze' and it will pop up.

There are other products that may help, too; my husband strained his shoulder recently and used a cream containing MSM and glucosamine to help bring down the inflammation (which is what aspirin or ibuprofen do). He was pleased with the results.

Good luck!!

Sharon
:)

Molly H on 8/01/03 at 11:16 (125885)

Sharon,
Hi! What was the name of the creme your husband used with glucosamine and MSM? Also, where did he get it?

Thanks!

Molly

john h on 8/01/03 at 12:57 (125896)

I think the Super Blue Stuff you oder from TV or which is now found in Wallmart and Sam's has both of those ingriedents plus some others.

john h on 8/01/03 at 12:59 (125898)

Strange as it may seem but Aspercreme does not contain aspirin. What is with the name?

Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 13:31 (125904)

Molly,

He got it in a drug store that sells lots of health supplements. I can't remember the name but it said prominently on the front that it contained MSM and glucosamine. I'll ask him when he gets home, if he remembers the name or still has some of it.

Sharon

Re: Aspercreme does not contain aspirin? !!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/03 at 19:59 (126034)

Next you'll be telling us there is no Santa. I always thought that Aspercreme was made out of crushed aspirins! Gee.

Carole C :-s

Sharon W on 8/03/03 at 22:01 (126150)

Molly,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this. The MSM with glucosamine creme that my husband used was produced by Natrol. It is a white squeeze container with a mostly purple/violet label (some orange), and it contains 4 oz. of the creme.

Good luck with it!

Sharon