Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

talonavicular arthritis

Posted by virginia rogers on 7/31/03 at 22:33 (125835)

I have talonavicular arthritis and have been told that fusion is the only way to releive the severe pain I am in constantly. Vioxx helps to a very small degree, but i don't want to take that the rest of my life. I am 50 years old, so I hope to live a while longer. Is surgery the only answer for me? I have been wearing a brace for a few months also, but it still isn't that great. If I have the surgery, will I be able to walk half way normal? How long is the recovery? Thanks!

Re: talonavicular arthritis

Dr. Z on 8/01/03 at 09:40 (125868)

Fusion is the only choice at this stage. IF normal is pain free you have a very good chance of sucess. Some pain will need future surgery called a triple fusion procedure down the road. What is the condition of your posterior tibial tendon. Is your arch collapsed. Recovery for a single joint fusion without any other tendon procedure is about eigth to ten weeks. Depending on the fixatin and the doctor will determine when you can bear weight on the foot.