Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yeah It's Friday!!

Posted by Necee on 8/01/03 at 08:17 (125854)

Hope everyone has a happy, safe and pain free weekend!!!!!!!

Happy trails...
Necee

Re: Yay Friday! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 09:17 (125861)

I'm so glad it is Friday! I have today off, so I'm sitting home with my feet up, waiting for the plumber. Believe it or not, this is my idea of fun. It will be great to have my leaky tub faucet handles fixed. :)

Hope your Friday is nice, too!

Carole C

BevN. on 8/01/03 at 09:47 (125874)

Carole,
It's Friday and you are off work , so that is a fun day, right? I have got to get some things done and get off my duff . Got my granddaughters coming for the weekend and we are taking them to the fair on Saturday if it does not rain , but it is suppose to rain. Oh, well save my hubby from having to push me around in the w/c at the fair if it does rain.
I hope you have a nice weekend after you get your plumming fixed. Did you see Marie's banana tree? How long before she will have bananas(my husband asked that question). What will she have to do with it in the winter , just put it in the house for the winter? Do you have bananas on your tree? Have a nice weekend, Carole :) Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 10:15 (125879)

Yes, it's great to be off work! I hope it doesn't rain on your Saturday so that you can go to the fair. It would probably be fun for you, too, to be able to get out and have some fun. I remember one time when my feet were not doing so well, but I was finally able to go to the Renaissance Fair or Renfest or whatever it is called. It was wonderful to feel free to be able to DO things like that again.

Yes, I saw Marie's potted banana plant. It is sometimes fun to grow plants that are uncommon in one's area. :)

The bananas seem to arrive on the plants in my yard when they want to arrive, at different times. I hate getting bananas on my banana trees because the foliage doesn't look as good after that. Usually people cut the plants back after they bear bananas, for that reason. Bananas plants of the species grown here will die back after a hard freeze, though there are cold weather banana plants available up north and I would imagine that any for sale in colder climates would be pretty hardy compared with what we have here. I have no idea.

Last winter we had two uncommonly hard freezes and afterwards all I had were brown, totally dead looking banana tree corpses. Luckily bananas grow pretty well here, and they are very difficult to eradicate (most people don't want them and will pay big bucks to have them removed from their yard, but not me).

So anyway, as most of you know I hauled off the corpses last winter, and this spring plenty of new banana trees sprouted from their extensive underground root system without any effort on my part. They are once again 15' tall or so, and look like they have been there forever. I wonder how they manage to suck enough nutrients out of the soil! I don't fertilize them or do anything except try to thin out the babies so that the bigger plants have some room.

Carole C

BevN. on 8/01/03 at 12:03 (125890)

Carole,
Yes, I do remember now that you had your trees cut down. I can't blame my terrible memory on neurontin as so many can but I can blame my 'dead' brain on the Topamax , okay , will that work for my excuse ? I can't believe how they grow back, wow, 15 feet in one year, you have some weather there in NOLA :) I live way up here in the north so I can not fathom that.
On the shower stool subject, I do the shower swivel too , right back into my Birks from the shower. We learn how to be pretty clever as time goes on don't we ? I am praying for the day that I can go to the festivals , etc. again without the w/c like you can now Carole. Thanks to all of your help and advice and support on this board I am doing better each day :)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 13:09 (125900)

Things grow really fast down here, and grass does too! Most of the year we have to cut the grass once or twice a week, not just for looks but to keep it to a manageable height. I am SO glad I don't have to mow it any more. Gardening here mainly consists of hacking at things to cut them back, and hauling stuff to the curb. I just cut back a huge bush in front of my water shut-off valve for the house last night, so that the plumbers could find it. It needs more cutting back, though; I only removed a bag and a half of it. I do plan to get a machete one of these days. That would make things easier.

It's great that you are doing better. It takes so long to heal, but when you do, I know you will enjoy ditching that wheelchair at last.

It seems amazing to me now, like another world, but I remember when I couldn't get to the grocery store because I couldn't walk far enough to get from the handicapped spot to the store's motorized wheelchairs. My brother drove all the way down from St. Louis and took me from my apartment to the front door of the grocery store, got me into a wheelchair, and then went and parked. I stocked up on groceries that way. Otherwise I stuck to convenience stores or drive-through food until my feet were able to handle grocery stores at off hours.

I'm not 100% at the moment, but I'm at least 98%. I was 100% for a while, but did some stupid things so I'm dealing with the last bit of recovery a second time. Right now I can do anything I could ever do, but I still wear good shoes, avoid going barefoot, stretch when I think about it, and pay attention to what my feet are telling me.

With any luck, and with your hard work in applying the conservative treatments, eventually the wheelchair will be just a memory for you too. The memory will seem like another world, and you will be strolling through malls and festivals and it will be as wonderful as your dreams. :)

Carole C

Re: bannana tree

marie on 8/01/03 at 13:36 (125906)

My bannana tree will go to one of these 3 places. The nursery down the street were I can store for the winter, my sister-in-laws new indoor swimming pool (not sure about the chlorine) or with my mother and father in-law when they journey down to Naples, FL for the winter. I may take it to school as we I will have a sunny cool room.

We're expecting a storm to come this way today....they're saying 90 mile an hour winds and hail. I have to button up the house for a storm. I am sick of this rain every weekend.

later marie

Re: Marie: sick of rain?

Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 15:18 (125910)

Marie,

I don't blame you -- but it's better than a drought!

Sharon
:)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 15:48 (125914)

Wow, hail at 90 mph doesn't sound very comfortable! Better stay inside, because it sounds like quite a storm. We already had a couple of inches of rain today, but it was a pleasant heavy rain with thunder and lightning; no wind for us today.

Carole C

Re: Marie: sick of rain?

Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 15:57 (125915)

PS: That does sound like a scary storm, glad you're getting prepared. I will remember you tonight, hoping nothing bad will happen.

Sharon

marie on 8/01/03 at 19:13 (125936)

They changed it to 69 mph. Most of the storm is south of here but we are getting alot of wind and thunder&lightening. The rain was coming down in sheets but it's starting to lighten up now.

Re: Carole - Pro Bass fishermen?

BrianG on 8/01/03 at 21:37 (125953)

Hi Carole,

Have you notced all the Bass Masters Classic visitor's in town this weekend? It's the big one, the Super Bowl / Daytona 500, of bass fishing. Almost all the top bass pro's, and tens of thousands of fishing fans. They will bring a lot of money into the community, without causing too much trouble (it's nothing like spring break, these people actually bring cash :*) Maybe you should have left town and visited your friend. You probably could have rented your house for a couple thousand $ for the week !!!!

Gone fishin'
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/03 at 22:35 (125955)

Yes, they were on the news, Brian! My ex and I used to fish for bass, though we were not any good. But he subscribed to Bassmasters magazine and was a member. The first bass I ever caught officially weighed in at 6.5 pounds, but never caught another anywhere near that large. For me, the point of fishing wasn't really to catch fish.

From what I understand, they are over in Slidell or somewhere east of New Orleans, so I don't think I could have rented my house. I live on the other side of town, and it would be a 45 minute drive through some of the worse traffic around to get there. Sometimes during Mardi Gras I'm briefly tempted to rent out a room, though! Or when we had the Superbowl here in 2002; this area was full of stretch limo's and wealthy people willing to pay half of what a house would have sold for just for a few days rent.

It's said that most of the French Quarter residences are actually owned by wealthy out-of-towners that are only there a few weeks out ot the year. I guess that would explain why houses in the French Quarter are fabulously expensive, and houses a few blocks away are 1/20th the price.

Carole C

BrianG on 8/02/03 at 08:44 (125967)

6.5 pounds !!! Wow, the ultimate beginners luck story :) I've only caught one fish that large in Ma, and several more the 2 times I fished in Florida. They showed some of the guys running all the way to the Venice area. It took about 2.5 hours, each way! Leaving less than 3 hours to fish. I'm pretty sure the winning weight from yesterdy came from that area. I'm sure that will change though, as the conditions have to be perfect to make that run.

JohnH, if your reading this, ESPN will have the weigh-in's tonight and tomorrow, at 6pm. Prizes and endorsements are worth at least a cool million $!

BrianG
PS: Thank god I can still dream......

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/03 at 09:23 (125975)

Yes, if was definitely beginner's luck! I caught that 6.5 pound bass using a dead goldfish from my aquarium as bait, instead of those fancy lures my ex likes. The bass was poking about under some lily pads and that shiny goldfish landed right on top of him, and he went for it before he knew what it was. My ex screamed 'SET THE HOOK!!!' so I did, and what an exciting fish to catch! He really fought. The rest is family history. The bass was delicious, by the way. :)

I caught bass after that, but never caught one that big again. I had it officially weighed by the Fish and Wildlife guy at the lake. This was at the lake by the Little Creek Amphib Base in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1976 when my ex was stationed in Norfolk.

The highest daily weight yesterday at the Bassmasters Classic was over 16 pounds! Amazing. The local guy weighed in at less than 2 pounds. So much for 'local knowledge'.

Don't ever stop dreaming, Brian! You never know..... :)

Carole C

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 10:00 (125986)

Sometimes strange baits catch fish. my son caught a 190# Halibut off the coast of Cordova Alaska using a buttered chunk of breakfast sausage.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/03 at 17:08 (126020)

ROFL!! Breakfast sausage? That's wonderful, and makes my catch seem more 'legit'. :)

Carole C

Peter R on 8/03/03 at 10:16 (126091)

I thought about starting a discussion about professional fisherman. Maybe I will- A professional fisherman is someone who braves wind, waves,and ice to feed us- not someone who sits in a fancy $50,000 boat and catches fish 1 at a time on TV. And watching bass fishing on TV is only slightly more exciting than watching paint dry.

BrianG on 8/03/03 at 21:13 (126146)

Thread killer !

Re: LET'S GO FISHING !!!!

Necee on 8/04/03 at 08:05 (126161)

I didn't realize there were so many avid fishermen/women among us.
We have a 3 acre lake at our ranch and it's stocked with Florida Bass, as well as Black Bass, crappie, perch, and of course Catfish.
My brother loves to fish, and he caught a 12 lb Florida Bass at a local lake last year. He relocated the fish to our lake, as you might imagine, it's definately a catch and release situation with this big bass. We have snagged him a time or two....talk about fight!
Anyone is welcome to come fish...but.....if you catch 'Sam' he's got to go safely back to his watery home.

Happy trails....

Necee

BevN. on 8/04/03 at 08:28 (126164)

Marie,

Was that a fishing pond in the background of your picture you posted of yourself or a swimming pond ? Was that at your cottage? We have not even gone out to our lake this year as the walk out to the water is too far for me and the sand is so soft . The fishing isn't good out there anyway , so the guys put their boat in down at the dock by the river downtown here where the fishing is better.Our grandsons love to go fishing.

marie on 8/04/03 at 08:47 (126173)

Hi Brian! We just bought an old fishing boat. It has a very new fish finder and depth finder on it. But I am not use to all this new fishing technology so it will be a while for us to get use to it. We have 101 lakes in our county.....including 5 that are on a chain linked together by a river. I would love to hear your fishing stories. I haven't been fishing for a long time so wish me luck and lets hope I don't fall out of the boat.

marie on 8/04/03 at 09:49 (126176)

That is a community pond at our cabin. There are approx. 100 cabins but usually no more than 15 are inhabited at any given time. There is a section roped off for swimming and a section for fishing. And a really nice club house. We have bluegill, bass and chanel catfish which are better to eat. We have a catfish that is 27 inches and has been reeled in a couple of times this summer. The bass are anywhere from 10- 20 inches but they are smart and are really hard to catch.

Because we have so many lakes, 8 are big enough for skiing, we of course get alot of fishermen. They fish year round....once the ice is hard enough the ice fishing begins. I know I wouldn't want to sit out in the cold and fish but I hear it's alot of fun. About a 100 yards behind our place on the other side of the woods is the largest freshwater lake in the state of Indiana. Many of our neighbors dock their boats on it. It's more of a skiing and speed boat lake but it's quiet during the week so it's fun to fish on. We may dock our boat at a friends house that lives on the lake about 1/2 mile from the cabin.. There are 5 lakes attached by a river....a couple are smaller and better for fishing.

Neccee's place sounds just beautiful. I can't imagine how nice it would be to have so much property and get to own your own fishing hole!!!

marie

john h on 8/04/03 at 10:14 (126182)

If you really want to know about bass fishing talk to me. Brian I think still uses a cane pole and earth worms to fish. You need a Garcia real with 18 lb test line and a Lucky 13 or Heddon Tiny Chugger top water for night bass fishing and a black plastic worm in deep water in this hot weather for a real lunker. All bass fishermen lie so watch out for Brain. I think his favorite fish is the beloved Carp.

marie on 8/04/03 at 10:22 (126184)

I'll be lucky to get a blue gill much less a bass....but I'm up for a challenge. The biggest fish I ever caught was a carp. It was at a small lake in Cartersville GA. The dang thing almost pulled me in the water.

john h on 8/04/03 at 10:37 (126189)

Neece I have been fishing for the 10 lb bass all my life. My best is a 9 lb. I quit keeping the fish many years ago and also release my fish back into the waters. My favorite fishing is at night with a top water as the bass strike at the sound and you can jump out of your seat when you hear a big splash on a dark night in the middle of a swamp. I have so many fish stories I could write a book. Once I was fishing in south Georgia where there were a pack of wild pigs on the shore. Me and my buddy decided we would go ashore to look around this deserted wooded area. As we approached shore and were about 10 feet from land 3 of the pigs jumped in the water and swam rapidly to our flatbottom boat. I hit one with an oar but two other quickly came on board and we jumped out. They were fearless and looking for food and we were not going to be it. After about 10 minutes of messing up everything in the boat and eating my twinkies and moon pies they exited and swam back to shore. I also took it upon myself to shake a small tree in a swamp which had two baby raccoons in it. They came out but so did the mama. needless to say she was very angry and we jumped into the water until they jumped in and swam to another tree. Snakes swimming towards your boat at night is also a scary proposition. There eyes really show up with a flashlight, Invarable they swim right at your boat and then go under it but you never know. you run into a real variety of creatures in the swamps of Georgia and Florida at night aside from the giant mosquitos.

BrianG on 8/04/03 at 21:51 (126245)

You have to remember that John just borrowed his fishing equipment back, from the Smithsonian, so that he could sit back and remember the good old days!!! I had two 'fish finders' on the 17' boat I just sold. I never really used them to find fish though. Mostly I used them to find structure, like drop offs, ledges, humps, etc. Bass don't just swim around like trout and slamon. They like to hold up some where, and then attack the bait. Once you know what to look for, the bass will be there. There are lots of other good uses though, like staying in the channels and some even tell you the water temp. For best results, I'd read the instruction booklet, as most people don't even utilize a small percentage of what their fish finders can do. Good luck on the lakes, and have fun :)

BrianG

BrianG on 8/04/03 at 22:09 (126246)

I haven't caught that 10 pounder either, but then again I've only fished in Fl a couple of times. We never get them that big up here in New Engand. I was fishing at night one time, it was pitch black out. All of a sudden my pole took a big dip, and I set the hook. Opps, no fish, it was a bat that flew into my line, and then I reared back to set the hook. He was hopelesley tangled in the line. We cut it back as close as possible, but it was hissing, biting, and scratching the whole time. An ugly scence, from such a small creature, hahahaaa.

BrianG

marie on 8/05/03 at 13:10 (126279)

Thanks Brian. Unfortunately we don't have the booklet. We bought the boat from a guy named 'Shorty' in Ohio. I am going to give him a call. He's a real character but nice. He of course knows my husband's family. What is it with that 70ish age group they all have nicknames. I met Moose and Buzz a few weeks ago at my in-laws anniversary party.

We are planning on fishing Thursday morning. Wish me luck! I know there's a bass or pike in my future. Or maybe even a Gar...they are very ugly.

marie

Peter R on 8/05/03 at 13:23 (126282)

If you think a Gar is ugly you should have seen my ex-wife.

marie on 8/05/03 at 19:48 (126325)

Oh my! /:)