Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

GOOD NEWS!

Posted by Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 10:02 (125876)

Of course, any of us who are overweight want to lose some... it can make a really big difference with foot problems. But for some of us, that seems to be incredibly hard to do. And so-called 'diet' drugs have been very disappointing, often dangerous. Well, researchers have just discovered something that may (in the next decade or so) lead to new drugs for obesity that will actually help people to lose weight normally! Check it out (excerpts follow):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=751&e=6&u=/hsn/20030731/hl_hsn/proteinmaybefactorinobesity

'A newly identified receptor protein that's present on fat cells may play a role in obesity, says a study by researchers at McGill University Health Center in Montreal.'

'The discovery of this new protein, called C5L2, may indicate that there is more to weight control than diet and exercise...'

'...In the future, we may be able to slow down this fat-producing process by identifying molecules that will block C5L2 activity,' Cianflone says.

Re: GOOD NEWS!

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 09:19 (125973)

People don't have to smoke, take illegal drugs, get drunk, or overeat. These are all choice we make. If you want to lose weight cut back on portion size, eat lots of fresh veggies and fish and excercise. Stop depending on magic cures to surface- If you're(not directed to anyone personally) a overeater or a druggy or a boozer or a smoker you probably want to be. These are all contollable activities.

Sharon W on 8/02/03 at 09:37 (125977)

I'm sorry if you couldn't understand the report; perhaps I should have explained it. This research shows that there IS validity (in some cases at least) to the complaint people make that 'I can't lose weight because everything I eat turns to fat!'

By the way, people DO have a choice about whether or not to ever BEGIN smoking, or taking illegal drugs, or drinking. They don't have a choice about whether they will ever begin eating. It's not an accurate parallel.

Sharon

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 09:49 (125984)

I agree that you have no choice as to eating- we must eat but we don't have to eat more than our body needs and we don't have to eat unhealthy, processed chemical laden foods and we don't have to spend our lives on our butts stuffing our faces until we look like chipmunks getting ready for winter. The majority of people in this counrty are FAT and only a very small percentage of them are those that have something wrong with their metabolism. The worst thing that ever happened for overweight people was the discovery that there are some people who may turn food into fat before utilizing it for energy and muscle growth. However, that doesn't apply to most of the fattys and only gives them a reason to excuse being unhealthy blimps. I think that there should be a total exclusion of insurance benefits for health problems caused by indulgent destructive behavior.

Sharon W on 8/02/03 at 09:58 (125985)

So if a fat person has a heart attack or a stroke, you think they should just be left to die -- no health care should be provided to them unless they can afford the hospitalization and the (up to $100,000) bypass surgery on their own?

Sharon

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 10:05 (125987)

That's right- if they have a history of self abuse and indulgence in desestuctive behavior and it can be shown that that is a contributing factor to their condition then why should my insurance $'s pay for their care??

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 10:09 (125988)

I'de love to carry on this debate with you but it's time for me to get into the pool and swim my daily 1000yds. That's so that you don't have to have your insurance or tax dollars pay for my health problems caused by my bad choices.

Sharon W on 8/02/03 at 10:09 (125989)

Thanks for clarifying exactly where you stand.

Sharon

Sharon W on 8/02/03 at 10:20 (125991)

I expect it's really because you enjoy staying (and being) in shape.

Sharon

marie on 8/02/03 at 13:24 (126009)

I eat like a race horse and never gain weight. My mother and grandfather were both tall and skinny. My oldest son eats 5 meals a day...his biggest anxiety is being hungry...he is a slim 29 waist and 34 length. There has to be something that is genetically passed on...maybe our metabolism.

I do agree that Americans are overweight and in general need to take better care of themselves. But I know that it can be a real struggle for some to loose weight. It is a good thing that genetics and weight are being researched. I hope that this discovery will be available to all who struggle with weight. Thanks for sharing Sharon. Now I have to go for a swim...I need to cool off.

best wishes marie

Peter R on 8/02/03 at 14:18 (126014)

I don't know how old you are but if you continue eating like a race horse until you are 50+ or so the chances are that you'll also be a overweight American when this wonderful metabolism of yours slows down.

Dorothy on 8/02/03 at 17:49 (126026)

Your (in my opinion, cruel and stupid) arguments, sir - do they also apply to those who, say, ride motorcycles? Bicycles? Snowmobiles? Jump out of airplanes? Dive into unfamiliar swimming pools, lakes, ponds? Engage in sexual activity of various sorts? Not floss daily and do every other possible dental care activity to eradicate gum disease? (Strong correlation with heart disease, my friend) Go skiing? Work in a factory of one sort or another? Drive over the speed limit? Get suntans? Live near gas stations? Or - since we know that men who are married live healthier and longer, perhaps only married men should be insured (under your plan). How about living where sme4s occur, hurricanes? a flood plain, perhaps? How about forest fires? Maybe an old landfill is found nearby to contaminate your well water? Let's take the forest fire example, shall we? Maybe you live where there are lots of trees-that is your choice, isn't it - and maybe it is a dry year and maybe a forest fire happens. Well, Peter, under your logic, we won't be able to send help your way - after all, you could have lived in a desert or on a barren island.
Your smug, self-satisfied, facade of moral superiority only holds up until you are vulnerable and in need, sir, and perhaps you have not lived long enough or had anything go wrong in your life,yet, to know, yet, that we are ALL vulnerable and in need. What this country needs is less hate and more kindness - and the understanding that we are all in this together. In my opinion, attitudes like yours are very destructive and dangerous; they are of the same ilk that send people to their deaths all over the world, throughout history and they need to be challenged for their cruelty.
Why do you visit this site, Peter R.? Presumably, it is to receive or share assistance, information, knowledge, experience - with people who are kind enough and decent enough to give and receive it, without any knowledge of what you look like or what your habits are - and without judgment even if they do know, because they know you are hurting and want to help, or are willing to listen to your offers of help. That is as it should be amongst all of us flawed human beings.

Re: Peter

JudyS on 8/02/03 at 20:16 (126041)

Peter,
You're getting a bit close to breaking Scott's 'be nice' rule.

Suzanne D on 8/02/03 at 21:43 (126056)

That was so well said, Dorothy! We ARE all in this together, and we don't get anywhere cutting one another down. The last thing anyone needs is to be made to feel stupid or at fault for having some kind of problem. And we all have problems/challenges of one kind or another.

I try to teach this to my first graders. There is always the inevitable laughing at someone who can't do something, and I can't stand that. I tell my story to them then about how I could spell and read without many problems, but I was TERRIBLE in P.E/sports. I tell about how the first time I ever played softball at school (no P.E. class then; the teacher just said we would play during recess), I didn't even know which way to run. I had never seen a game, much less played one. So when by some miracle I hit the ball, I didn't know where to go. The other team pointed to third base, and I was so pleased to get there without being tagged. Of course the other ream roared with laughter, and my team yelled at me. I started crying and felt like a fool. But I am glad it happened, because it has been so useful as I talk to the children. They end up feeling sorry for me and realizing how wrong that was to laugh at me. And the ones upset because they couldn't do something well always feel better because my mistake was more humiliating than whatever they just did wrong!

I remember a little boy in my third grade class years ago who was an average student with few abilities in sports and who was shy and self-conscious, not making friends easily. He was quiet, but one day after P.E. class when he had struck out or fumbled with something (I really don't remember), he came into the room crying hard. I told my story and ended with saying we all have things that are hard for us to do. Then he looked at me and said, 'But I'm not good at ANYTHING! You tell me something I'm good at!'

I drew my breath in for an instant, because I KNEW I had to say something then that would make sense to him and would make him feel better. And the truth is, at that time, I had not really seen him excell in anything. I offered up a quick silent prayer and my gaze fell on the little rabbit's foot that always hung from his belt. He talked about his rabbits a lot.

I said, 'Why, Matthew, you know more about rabbits than anyone I know! I think that next year when you can join 4-H, you could be in the Rabbit Club. And you could give speeches and demonstrations about rabbits and show them at the fair. You could be a rabbit expert!'

And the rest of the story is that years later when I was teaching in another district and was at a 4-H event with my daughter, I saw Matthew. He was there to give a demonstration about the care of rabbits. His mom came to me and said it meant a lot to him when I told him he was good with rabbits and went on to share his successes in that area.

I say this not to give myself any credit but because your post made me think of it when you said we are in this together. It doesn't take long to tear something down. But to build a bridge is hard work. But I'd rather build bridges. Sometimes we might get to see someone cross over what we've built.

Thanks, Dorothy. I appreciate you.
Suzanne :)

Re: YOU ROCK, DOROTHY

Pam S. on 8/02/03 at 22:56 (126063)

WOW!!!I am impressed Dorothy. I think people who frequent this board are actually professional debaters or writers who just happen to know alot about painful feet. HAAAAAA Pam

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/03 at 23:20 (126064)

Some of us WISH we knew a lot less about painful feet than we do, Pam! Sometimes I wish I could wave a magic wand and cure everyone on these message boards. Then we could all go for a walk around the park together.

After a nice long stroll, we could build a bonfire and throw all the wheelchairs, boots, nightsplints, and shower stools in it and then dance around the fire until morning. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 8/03/03 at 09:08 (126081)

Thank you, Dorothy. I started a response to Peter R but then realized that he likes to bait people by making blanket generalizations like he did above. I decided not to respond but that was the coward's way out. You were right to respond and you did it magnificently!

Peter R on 8/03/03 at 09:41 (126085)

I wasn't trying to insult you- I was mearly pointing out that although your eating heartily now and staying trim the chances are, like I experienced, as the years add on so do the pounds. I too ate like a race horse in my younger years, although I limited fats and carbs, I had to adjust my intake as the years added on. In my 30's and 40's I consumed 4000-5000 cal./day and didn't gain weight. Now I can handle only half that amount without gaining weight.

Peter R on 8/03/03 at 10:12 (126089)

Wow, this is great- everbody geting a great catharsis- isn't controversy wonderful even if you disagree with my thoughts.

Kathy G on 8/03/03 at 10:37 (126094)

Peter,

It's not that I didn't necessarily agree with what you said, just the way you said it. There ARE overweight people who aren't proactive and they try to blame anything but themselves and their lifestyle for it. But I don't think that everyone who is overweight is overweight because they espouse an unhealthy lifestyle or overeat. There are so many variables: build, genetics, metabolism, underlying medical conditions, medication. I, like you and so many on this Board, am horrified at the number of overweight people in the US -- especially children. As a culture, we are definitely doing something wrong. But all overweight people don't lack willpower, as you implied, whether on purpose or accidentally.

I have an extremely high metabolism rate. I could eat anything I wanted to but, like you, I always ate sensibly. I had to watch that I didn't become too skinny. Then I got PF, which hit when I was 46. As each exercise regime became too painful, I would switch to something else. My weight went up, gradually, as my age increased and my activity level decreased.

I never truly understood how difficult it was to lose weight until a year or so ago when I decided I definitely needed to lose six pounds. I still wasn't overweight but I was not happy with my weight. Having never watched my weight, and never followed a diet, I had no idea what it was like. It's hard, and I have new respect for those with a tendency toward obesity who have to fight it every day, not to mention those who are fighting PF at the same time.

I bristle when someone implies, as you did, that everyone can find exercise they can do. I, too, would do laps if I could but I'm allergic to chlorine so swimming in pools is out of the question. I can't walk much; I can't use an exercise bike. I can't lift weights because of tendonitis and arthritis in my hands. So I just do the best I can. I watch my weight and walk as much as I can on good days.

I think most of us are the same. We do the best we can. If one was overweight when they got PF, it's a double whammy for them. Weight comes off slowly. They find the condition even more frustrating that those of us who were at a proper weight.

If willpower was the answer, then there wouldn't be that many people posting to these Boards. I suspect that the majority of us would be out pursuing the lifestyle we had when we got hit with PF. But, as most of us have discovered, no matter how strong-willed one is, the condition will run its course, and that course will be longer in some than others.

marie on 8/03/03 at 11:44 (126102)

I am 45 years old...I do take care of myself but I don't swim 1000 miles a day. My mom was thin until she hit 75. I do eat alot of fruit but I love milkshakes too. I stay away from to much beer but one or two on the weekend....well I deserve that. I don't want to weigh what I did when I was 22....that was 100lbs. I could eat a large pizza and still be hungry. My body has changed because now I can only eat at the most 3 pieces of pizza and I am stuffed.

marie on 8/03/03 at 11:55 (126105)

I am comfortable with who I am and how I look. I do agree that Americans need to eat and exercise better. But I think that genetics plays a huge role in metabolism and fat storage. Genetics is the key to helping many who suffer from weight problems and I am all for it. I am lucky because genetics has treated me right, but not everyone has my genetic make up and we need to seek alternatives. The more choices we have the better. The more informed the better.

smile on dude.....happiness, manners, empathy, attitude, descrimination understanding, morality, behavior..... are also a choices.

marie

Dorothy on 8/03/03 at 15:39 (126115)

Very well stated, Kathy G. I prefer your response to mine and appreciate your adding to the discussion of this topic. It is important and perhaps if we could get beyond the emotionality of obesity (yes, my own 'heated' response reflects that strong reaction), then we might actually be able to help each other with weight issues and exercise issues - all of us, regardless of size or fitness level. Best wishes ~

Dorothy on 8/03/03 at 19:59 (126132)

Thank you for your response, Suzanne. I am sure your students will remember your kindness, just as we all can remember either a particularly kind - or not so kind - teacher from our pasts. Your influence will undoubtedly reach your students in ways you may never know. What you do is so important.

Re: Kathie & Dorothy

marie on 8/03/03 at 20:12 (126134)

:D

Dorothy on 8/03/03 at 20:20 (126137)

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you mean...?

marie on 8/04/03 at 08:42 (126172)

That's ok....I think that both of you expressed yourselves very well! Nice JOB!!!!!! We are lucky to have such nice folks here like Suzzanne, Kathy, John H, Necee, Carole, Sharon, you and countless others who visit this site and make it a worthwhile place to visit.

marie