Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Researchers find new hope for weight loss

Posted by Sharon W on 8/01/03 at 10:10 (125878)

Of course, any of us who are overweight want to lose some... it can make a really big difference with foot problems. But for some people, that seems to be incredibly hard to do. And so-called 'diet' drugs have been very disappointing, often dangerous. Well, researchers have just discovered something that may (in the next decade or so) lead to new drugs for obesity that will be a whole lot safer. It's a receptor on fat cells for an enzyme that makes our body collect more fat. If they can find a drug that will safely block those receptors, they should be able to help people to lose the weight! Check it out (excerpts follow):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=751&e=6&u=/hsn/20030731/hl_hsn/proteinmaybefactorinobesity

'A newly identified receptor protein that's present on fat cells may play a role in obesity, says a study by researchers at McGill University Health Center in Montreal.'

'The discovery of this new protein, called C5L2, may indicate that there is more to weight control than diet and exercise...'

'...In the future, we may be able to slow down this fat-producing process by identifying molecules that will block C5L2 activity,' Cianflone says.

Re: Researchers find new hope for weight loss

marie on 8/03/03 at 16:56 (126120)

Just wanted to let you know that I find this information to be very useful and am so glad you shared.

Have you heard about the meso (don't know how to spell it) treatment that is now available in our country? They had a wonderful segment on 48 hours last night with Jaimee Lee Curtis. It was really wonderful that she posed as who she is...no makeup or touch ups.

Thanks again!!!

BevN. on 8/03/03 at 17:49 (126123)

Marie,
What was that about with Jamies Lee Curtis on ? I missed it, we had the granddaughters and were busy with them. Thanks :) Bev

marie on 8/03/03 at 19:52 (126131)

48 hours had a show about image and how as a country we have become obsessed with the perfect image. They had Roberta Flack on and she shared about Meso treatment and the accompying excise and diet program that went with it. Then they did a segment on a father and 2 sons who underwent liposuction...it was really good. Jaimee Lee Curtis had a photo shoot done in her underware with no makeup and no photo retouching. She is very comfortable with how she looks and wants other women to understand you don't have to be so image conscience to be happy with yourself. The interview was very good and encouraging.

Because my hubby is a photographer I know all the digital plastic surgery that goes into a finished photo. We do digital plastic surgery when a customer requests it. Mostly he just gets rid of zits, crows feet and the little lines around the mouth. I don't think the general public realizes that the models on the fronts of magazines don't excist. They have bruises and all kinds of stuff that has to be retouched. I met a graphic designer that use to retouch all of Reba's photos....his job was to give her cleavage....then one day he didn't have to give her cleavage anymore....hmmmm. We are obsessed with an image that doesn't excist. I just wish we'd get paid as much for digital plastic surgery as the real ones do. :D

later, marie

PS there was no digital plastic surgery on my photo. I am not fond of getting my picture taken all the time....but that's life when ya live with a photographer.

Sharon W on 8/03/03 at 21:14 (126147)

Marie,

I'm glad you were comfortable enough to post a photo of the real you. Actually, when I saw your picture I was impressed with the resemblance you have to a dear friend of mine. (The biggest difference is about 60 pounds...)

Ah, life. Weight is such a divisive issue. I think my dear friend is a beautiful woman, too...

One of the drugs people are taking now to lose weight is Topomax. To me that is a scary thing -- to be so desperate to lose weight that an anti-epileptic drug seems like an acceptable way to do it.

But what do I know -- I take Neurontin and now Topamax myself, for nerve pain. Losing weight might save somebody's life (not just their feet!) Relieving nerve pain won't.

Sharon

marie on 8/04/03 at 08:31 (126165)

Well my photo won't be here for long...I really am not fond of sharing my pic with people. I am very image conscience....maybe it's because we have so many preconcieved ideas about people because of the way someone looks and that includes gender as well. I never sign my artwork with my first name. As much as women have progressed in this country there are still old stereo types in some folks minds. If my work is being judged or sold I don't want to tip folks off as to what my gender is.

I have had many students who suffer with their image and weight It is probably the toughest issue that educators deal with. It's tough enough to be a teenager and trying to fit in. I can't begin to tell you some of the horror stories with eating disorders.

Well this is way off topic. I sincerely hope that Topamx works for you so please keep us updated. You're here all the time for others so if you need us for anything let us know.

best wishes marie

john h on 8/04/03 at 09:47 (126175)

Marie my image of you is like Barbie Doll.

john h on 8/04/03 at 09:55 (126177)

Marie I also saw the Robert Flack program. My take is it is the food and exercise. If the shots make her do the exercise and eat sensiably then fine. She has the money to afford those $500 shots every week. The product as they stated is used off label. What did you think of the father and his two sons who had the lipo all at the same time. One of the sons already looked like Arnold S so I am not sure why he needed to to do anything.

Have any of you seen Marie Schriver lately (Arnold's wife). She look like she just got out of a Nazi concentration camp. What is with her weight loss? She look terrible. Hope she is not ill.

john h on 8/04/03 at 09:58 (126179)

Jammie Lee has a good sensible attitude. She says that we can do only so much with what our genetics allow. Some people are just not going to be a fashion model no matter what. Be happy with what you have and do the best you can but recognize you cannot all be Sherril Teggs.

marie on 8/04/03 at 10:47 (126191)

I think Plastic Surgery is ok if one really feels the need. I personally would only go that route if it was for medical reasons. The father and sons made a choice that I hope will work for them. I questioned the need for the surgery on the one son as well....I thought he looked great. I think the best looking men are the ones that are confident with themselves. We (the gals) were yaking in the teacher's lounge about the Lacy Peterson case. One of the ladies said she thought Scott was attractive....I don't think so at all. I have always been attracted to the total package. There's alot more than physical appearance to any person. Scott Peterson ewww yuk.

Yeah Maria looks awful. I hope she is ok.

I don't have an 16 inch waist. Supposedly that is what Barbie would have if she was life size. I was a skinny scrawny geeky kid who was teased unmercifully until about 13. When I was 14 I had a teacher who had an amazing influence on me. He gave me back my courage. Chester Dowse was a drama teacher. He was old fat and mean looking. He kept a bottle of irish whiskey in his corderoy pocket. We were all scared to death of him. He was an old school actor who knew Katherine Hephburn well. He roomed with her brother in NYC back in the day. He'd read us letters that he got from her. He kicked my butt when I needed it and he encouraged my talent. He saw something in me that others had missed and most importantly he helped me to see it as well. I owe alot to him.

marie

BevN. on 8/04/03 at 11:10 (126197)

john,

I really do admire Jammie Lee for her attitude also, it made us all feel a lot better about ourselves also . I was always the 100 lb. person till children came along , and these extra 35-40 lbs have always been a terrible burden to me emotionally more then physically(especially now with this painful PF and mushy muscles as marie calls them). Now Jammie Lee makes me fell better about myself. Now I have to go and do my pilates and eat my yogart for lunch.
Good day to all :) Bev

rose on 8/04/03 at 13:52 (126210)

Thanks. This is very interesting. I have been fighting this PF for almost two years now and have gained quite a bit of weightfrom not doing the heavy exercise I used to do, and probably some comfort eating too. I tried everything from weight watchers, to fad diets etc. Nothing worked. I finally tried Atkins last spring. I hesitated a long time, since I lean towards the vegetarian side. But I finally tried it for the two weeks of induction and promply lost 10 pounds. Unbelievable. And that is with no exercise. That is unbelievable for me, since it seemed impossible for me to lose weight. I started adding in carbs and when went back to my old eating since we have such wonderful fruit this time of the year. I have maintained this weight loss, but I think I want to go back on the diet and continue as soon as we get back from our vacation in two weeks.
I just wanted to share this, because it does work, especially for those unable to do a lot of exercise. You will feel much more energy. I had no gas or digestive problems. After the first week of feeling bad because I was withdrawing from sugar, I felt wonderful.

marie on 8/04/03 at 15:32 (126215)

Sharon I forgot to mention that when I saw your photo I was surprised to see how much you look like a friend of mine....similar personalities too.

marie