Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MPJ implant and stress fractures

Posted by Joan G on 8/01/03 at 12:11 (125891)

I have had a great toe joint implant. Two-piece titanium. It has been almost a year and I still have incredible pain and am experiencing a second stress fracture in the second toe. I am in so much pain. Will this ever end? Can I do anything else? JG

Re: MPJ implant and stress fractures

Dr. Z on 8/01/03 at 18:27 (125930)

You probaby need a fusion of the big toe joint if there is still pain in that joint and now you are developing a stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal bone. Ask your doctor about this option. Most implant do get rid of the pain in the big toe joint

Re: MPJ implant and stress fractures

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/03 at 12:00 (125998)

Having pain in the big toe joint after a two piece implant is unusual because both sides of the joint are replaced. As such, there is nothing left to hurt, other than possibly the tissue around the joint. What reason does your doctor provide for the pain?

I assume that the stress fracture you speak of is in the second metatarsal bone, not the second toe. If the implant is not functioning properly or if the big toe joint is bearing insufficient weight, then there may be transferance of weight bearing pressure to the second metatarsal leading to a stress fracture.

The above issues should have been worked out by now. It is time to see another doctor if your current doctor has not been able to come up with a treatment plan.