Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to do during ESWT recovery?

Posted by Dean H on 8/01/03 at 15:16 (125909)

I'm between my second and third Sonocur treatments. What should I be doing now, and in the recovery period, about activity, ice, stretching, etc?

P.S. Thanks to David for answering my other post about a temporary slight increase in pain being OK.

Re: What to do during ESWT recovery?

Dr. Z on 8/01/03 at 18:13 (125924)

Only stretch if you have lack of motion from a tight achilles tendon. Do you limp after sitting for any length of time? Ice ? May protocol is heat, heat, heat, get the blood going to the heel site. The circulation to the pf insertional is poor with micro-circulation to begin with. Activity. No high impact anything, No long walks, mall avoid . No bare feet

Dean H on 8/02/03 at 19:24 (126031)

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to make sure I understand, because I'm a bit confused. By the sentence. Fragments. Because my own tendency is to write very long run-on sentences even though many people who read it will be confused when they see all the verbs they contain. :-) .
But seriously, folks...
Are you recommending heat instead of ice, or in addition? What's the best way to apply heat?

Thanks again,

Dr. Z on 8/02/03 at 21:39 (126054)

Heat instead of ice Yes. That is my protocol. We want to move blood flow to the area. twenty minutes twice daily. The more the better