Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

retrocalcaneal bursitis

Posted by Cindy T on 8/01/03 at 16:07 (125916)

Hello, thank you for your time. My name is Cindy, I'm 36 years old and have a retrocalcaneal bursitis (hope is spelled correctly) on my left heel. I have seen many doctors and have been through two rounds of therapy as well as used inserts. I have pain daily that interferes with my life as a wife and mother of two small children. We are also planning a third child soon.

My question, what statistically helps in these types of situations? Coritzone? Surgery? Is anything 100% or even 90% helpful? How safe is cortizone in pregnancy or pre-pregnancy? I truly would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you for your help.

Re: retrocalcaneal bursitis

Dr. Z on 8/01/03 at 18:16 (125926)

Are we talking about the bursa area or is this really where the achilles tendon inserts into the back of the heel. ESWT is the safest procedure when the problem becomes long term and has failed to response to any treatment. Surgery long and painful. Avoid steriods if you are pregnant.
How did you get this problem in the first place.?

Re: retrocalcaneal bursitis

Richard. CPed on 8/02/03 at 19:59 (126035)

Look in to a good shoe fit. A shoe with an achilles notch can help. You may also need to have that area stretched or adjusted so the shoe will not rub and cause irritation.