Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting fitted for orthotics. What shoes should I bring?

Posted by francesc on 8/01/03 at 16:13 (125917)

Hi everyone,

I am getting fitted for orthotics in a week or so and I noticed on my paper from the Dr, that he ask that I bring in the shoes I normally wear along with any athletic shoes.

Ok, right now with my plantar fasciitis, the only shoes I wear ARE my running shoes. I don't have anything else I can wear right now. So, should I look for some kind of closed-toe shoes that I would like to wear and see if the orthotics fit in them (oh, yeah, I'm female so this is really important to me).

I have heard that many Birkenstocks shoes have removeable insoles. Should I invest in a pair and have the orthotics fitted in them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Frances

Re: Getting fitted for orthotics. What shoes should I bring?

Dr. Z on 8/01/03 at 18:25 (125929)

Bring in the shoe that you would wear if you didn't have pf. Your orthosis will probaby only fit your sneakers at this time.
You may have to purchase new shoes that fit after the dispensing of the orthosis. That is what is typical. Richard our online expert may be able to add some insight

Richard. CPed on 8/02/03 at 20:11 (126039)

When I ask my female customers to bring whatever shoes they want me to try to fit their orthosis in, they usually bring in two shopping bags full...lol. Take the running shoes. I like to start with fitting the orthosis to a running shoe. This is because that type of shoe is a sock lasted shoe. To me...it is tougher to get a correct fit to those shoes. Most of the time, if you can fit the orthosis to that type of shoe, they should fit in others.

Make sure the doc does NOT make you stand to take your impression (if a foam box or something similar is used). More than likely, the doc will use plaster strips to make a slipper cast.

I would just start with the running shoes right now. You can always go shoe shopping later, and test the fit in the store. You may get weird looks, but just look weird back at them. No....just kidding.. haha.
Richard

francesc on 8/03/03 at 15:48 (126117)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response! So ix-nay on the shopping bag full of shoes, huh? :-)

Ok, I will bring in my running shoes and go shoe-shopping later. I haven't got the heart to tell my husband that I have to buy a whole bunch of new shoes. He already calls me 'Imelda.'

Thanks again,
Frances

Richard, C.Ped on 8/04/03 at 08:36 (126168)

LOL @ Imelda. That goes for my wife too. She comes by the office on occasion to see what new catalogs I have. Lucky for me...most of the 'orthopedic' shoes I carry are ugly to her...haha.
Richard